PDA

View Full Version : Download speeds are slow.

ROGaddict
02-09-2013, 03:40 AM
My old internet which was brighthouse promised 40/5 internet connection speeds. I got 45/5 instead. So i was happy. Now we have gotten Verizon 75/35 package, and I get 11/40. I have the Asus G75VW BBK5 (Best Buy Version). The problem here is not with verizon however. Everyone else in my family is getting the promised 75/35 speeds but me, and they all have Apple computers.

I have read somewhere that the G75 does not come with 5ghz and that is why it will run slower.
Where can I find and buy this 5ghz wireless for my computer? Or any other suggestions to improve download speeds.

Thanks,
ROGaddict

Apexing
02-09-2013, 05:43 AM
more details,
are you on wifi (I guess you are since you talk about not being on 5ghz, but best to be sure), are you on ethernet cable (if not, have you tried testing with cable?)
when you test your speed is family hogging the net?
from where do you test your speed etc.
if on wifi how many bars.

ROGaddict
02-09-2013, 06:23 AM
more details,
are you on wifi (I guess you are since you talk about not being on 5ghz, but best to be sure), are you on ethernet cable (if not, have you tried testing with cable?)
when you test your speed is family hogging the net?
from where do you test your speed etc.
if on wifi how many bars.
Yes it is wifi
I have 5 bars
My family isnt hogging the net when I test it
I have tried cable and get same results
im testing it right next to my router, where my family gets 80 down 40 up

dstrakele
02-09-2013, 06:40 AM
There is an option to allow Windows Power Management to turn off the Ethernet and Wireless Network Adapters to save battery power in the Properties of these devices in Device Manager. If you disable that functionality from within Device Manager, does it improve your Ethernet and WiFi connection speeds?

If this fails, consider updating your Atheros WiFi driver to version 10.0.0.217.

Apexing
02-09-2013, 07:07 AM
hm since you get same speed on both wired and wifi, I would either rma the laptop.
or go to the place you bought it and turn it in for a new one.

Zygomorphic
02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I do not believe that Apple is doing the 5GHz wireless, those aren't very common. My guess is that you have a bad WiFi card, considering that it works but not nearly as fast as it should.

dstrakele
02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I do not believe that Apple is doing the 5GHz wireless, those aren't very common. My guess is that you have a bad WiFi card, considering that it works but not nearly as fast as it should.

That would fail to explain the similarly poor Ethernet connection speeds reported by the OP.

I also don't believe 5 Ghz WiFi cards are that uncommon. I know most G Series laptops (with the exception of the most recent models) don't ship with them, but my daughter's 2 year old budget i3 Sony Vaio laptop has one.

Apexing
02-09-2013, 03:32 PM
heck my samsung galaxy s2 has 5ghz lol xD

GottiBoi55
02-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Check this thread, could help get better speeds of you>>>>150 MBPS WLAN speed using a Tomato Firmware (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28819-I-got-150-MBPS-WLAN-speed-using-a-Tomato-Firmware)