PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-NS71 7200rpm HD upgrade question

Moonblink
02-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before I did poke around the forums and only found info on SSD installs. My G75 has a partitioned
500GB 7200 HD and I opened up the laptop and verified the second spot is empty. Will a Seagate Momentus ST9750420AS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive work in my laptop? Should I set it to slave? or cable select? Is there a better HD that I should order? I know a SSD drive is what most people do but I don't want to deal with
reinstalling the OS and drivers.

Here is a link to the HD I am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148599 Thanks for the help.

kramykram
02-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Just get a ssd and copy the partion over, you wont have to reinstall anything. I love my ssd i just installed for the performance upgrade i just got out of it, beleive me im very happy. now i am just trying to find out about upgrading my videocard to the 675m.

Moonblink
02-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Just get a ssd and copy the partion over, you wont have to reinstall anything. I love my ssd i just installed for the performance upgrade i just got out of it, beleive me im very happy. now i am just trying to find out about upgrading my videocard to the 675m.

Thanks! but I am still wondering if this is the correct HD for my system>? Thanks!

Moonblink
02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Any tech people able to help me out so I can get my order rolling?

dstrakele
02-09-2013, 09:47 PM
The Seagate Momentus ST9750420AS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive will work in your G75.

jf1450
02-09-2013, 09:48 PM
It'll work. I just put the Seagate Momentus 500G in my G75VW. Was considering the 750G hybrid but decided against it since I saw reviews saying they run pretty warm. It probably would have been totally fine. I installed it as a second drive, left the 1T drive that came with the machine alone; didn't move anything over.

Moonblink
02-10-2013, 01:38 AM
Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Tomislav
02-10-2013, 11:27 AM
why don't you go with an ssd? need more storage? try to use an external drive for storage and ssd for boot...if money is the issue then I would advise you to try and wait for a while, save some money for an SSD. That's what I'm doing:

Moonblink
02-10-2013, 06:53 PM
I just didn't want the hassle of reinstalling windows/drivers and what not. My OS is on a partition on the 500GB 7200 RPM HD that came with my
laptop and I wanted more space for games and what not. I am happy with the speed of my current HD and see no need to add a SSD just for the
OS. For $88 I can get 750GB of internal and fast storage without the hassle of reinstalling windows. :)

Tomislav
02-10-2013, 10:14 PM
you are right it can be a hassle. but you can't imagine how much of a difference would an SSD make...well it's up to you, to loose a day (in worst case scenario) on instaling new windows for the power of SSD... it's worth it. It's like your laptop transforms to a superfast sprinter from a midleaged semi-fat truck driver ( no offense to truck drivers) :D

Silver Wolf
02-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Speaking realistically you can get 60sec boot time (From cold boot) with a decent mechanical drive. Sure an SSD will bring that down to 10 - 15 depending on the SSD you use but it's not a massive difference if the OP is happy with he current boot time then so be it. Also external storage isn't always possible especially in a mobile situation.

Also Moon one thing you may want to consider is with some half decent backup software or maybe even Windows can do this you can clone your OS straight across to another drive. I did it when I installed my SSD using Acronis but if you have a tight budget you may be able to use cheaper software.

Tomislav
02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Speaking realistically you can get 60sec boot time (From cold boot) with a decent mechanical drive. Sure an SSD will bring that down to 10 - 15 depending on the SSD you use but it's not a massive difference if the OP is happy with he current boot time then so be it. Also external storage isn't always possible especially in a mobile situation.

well yeah actually you are right Silver Wolf in terms of external storage. Actually everything always depends on your personal preferences. Though I must state that if you want to upgrade your laptop, SSD is the upgrade that will make you feel the difference...nothing wrong whit what moons trying to do, just sharing my opinion. ;)

Moonblink
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys! I got my drive from NewEgg yesterday and installed it. The cage the holds the drive has these little tabs that were a pain to get lined up but with some fiddling I got it installed. I checked in the Bios and I could see the new HD and booted windows and checked my computer and the new drive wasn't listed :/ After banging my head against the keyboard I remembered I needed to go into administration tools/computer management/disk drives and make it active and then format it :P after that I was off to the races! Now I have the original 500gb HD paired with a 750gb HD. Totally happy and tons of storage!

rewben
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
that's nice :)