PDA

View Full Version : Proper overclocking of Asus G55vw HELP!

Vicodin
02-10-2013, 04:49 AM
Hello. I am just looking for some information on overclocking my Asus G55vw. I do not wan't to go all out, and I would like a single program that does it all. (Preferably made by Asus). I just need someone to point me in the right direction to safely overclock. Here are some questions I have as well.

So what can I do to push the GPU and RAM a little bit. The RAM claims to be 1600mhz but appears to only be running at half that. Any tips and info on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

SubmersedHollow
02-10-2013, 10:08 AM
RAM is running on DDR3, that means it's dual channeled... so the frequency of ram that shows (800mhz) means that is running at 800mhz x 2. That is 1600Mhz

ZeroBarrier
02-10-2013, 10:59 AM
RAM is running on DDR3, that means it's dual channeled... so the frequency of ram that shows (800mhz) means that is running at 800mhz x 2. That is 1600Mhz

Good try, wrong explanation, DDR stands for Dual Data Rate, so even when ran in single channel it still runs 800 MHz x 2.

DDR has been out forever and a day, I'm completely shocked that anyone that buys enthusiast level hardware is completely oblivious to standard acronyms and what is common knowledge within the enthusiast for over a decade now.

srmojuze
02-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Hello. I am just looking for some information on overclocking my Asus G55vw. I do not wan't to go all out, and I would like a single program that does it all. (Preferably made by Asus). I just need someone to point me in the right direction to safely overclock. Here are some questions I have as well.

So what can I do to push the GPU and RAM a little bit. The RAM claims to be 1600mhz but appears to only be running at half that. Any tips and info on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

For CPU and RAM overclocking I use Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility. Can get stable OC of the CPU to 3.3ghz (4 cores) and RAM is running at 826mhz = 1652mhz over 1600mhz stock.

For GPU you can't go wrong with MSI Afterburner, then do the P-State unlocking Nvidia Inspector thingy. That's how I play Crysis 3 Beta and Dead Space 3 at around 1200mhz GPU, 3000mhz mem on the 660M.

Some days I can't believe the overclocks on this G55.

For example the 660M 1080p on my HDTV, when OC'ed (the GPU not the HDTV lol) I can play Dead Space 3 totally maxxed with 8x AF (16x AF is way too "sharp").

Vicodin
02-10-2013, 09:48 PM

Well thank you for clearing that up with a nooby... lol

motionzen
02-17-2013, 04:43 AM
So far you have the best responds but comparing your lap now and before overclocking, does it make a big difference? FPS, CPU and GPU heat.....

ZeroBarrier
02-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Well thank you for clearing that up with a nooby... lol

You quoted the wrong explanation, DDR and Dual Channel are two totally different things.

DDR = Dual Data Rate
Dual Channel = Doubles the bandwith of the memory