PDA

View Full Version : windows 8 updates and Asus G75 VX - watch out !!!

Ballet
02-11-2013, 01:54 AM
bought the asus G75 VX in canada here with windows 8, there was a windows 8 update on friday that totally crashed the computter... took me 2 days to get windows going again. my experience with windows 8 on this asus G75 is that I feel it is full of bugs... i feel nervous and that its too early for win8 to be on this and that asus should have done a better job getting this right... .. i have been a big fan of the asus G75 laptops and their build quality but i have to admit i am very upset at asus for putting this out on the market. .. just spent all weekend getting this thing back up in time to go back to work with a working laptop. this cost me a lot of time away from family and re-installing everything... thanks microsoft and asus

Silver Wolf
02-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Honestly I would be taking this up with Microsoft rather than Asus. If the OS works and all the drivers do as well it's not really Asus' fault when a Windows update breaks things as they are unable to predict what updates are coming out and what effect those updates will have on the computer. Windows update also has a history of breaking computers back when Win 7 SP1 came out a lot of business computers were broken by automatic updates.

dstrakele
02-11-2013, 04:40 AM
1) Windows Updates typically create a Restore Point prior to installation. This allows you to use Windows System Restore to UNDO the update. If you can't access Windows System Restore from Safe Mode, it should be accessible from "Repair" when you run the Windows Installation media. Windows System Restore can help you from having to completely reinstall Windows.

It's best to configure Windows Update to allow YOU to choose when to download and install updates. This way, you don't have any surprises. However, if you lack the discipline (be honest with yourself) to regularly update your system, you'll probably be better off letting Windows Update work automatically.

It's also worthwhile to examine the information about the update (just select it in Windows Update and click on the "Show Information" link to bring up the web page). If the update fixes an issue you are not experiencing, you don't need to install it. You DO want to install Security updates, but if I read in the "Mitigation" section of the exploit that it requires valid Logon credentials and a LOCAL Logon, I don't install it. I'm the only one logging on to my laptop locally. But that's just me.

It's important to remember that ANY update has the potential to bork your system. Be prepared..

2) Using Windows "Backup and Restore" to backup a Windows System Image prior to any Update installation can also allow you to UNDO the update installation, should Windows System Restore fail for some reason.

3) A disk image backup by a utility such as Acronis True Image ( http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) can also save you from having to completely reinstall Windows when an update installation goes horribly wrong.

Silver Wolf
02-11-2013, 05:31 AM
It's important to remember that ANY update has the potential to bork your system. Be prepared..

2) Using Windows "Backup and Restore" to backup a Windows System Image prior to any Update installation can also allow you to UNDO the update installation, should Windows System Restore fail for some reason.

3) A disk image backup by a utility such as Acronis True Image ( http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) can also save you from having to completely reinstall Windows when an update installation goes horribly wrong.

Here here mate you hit the nail right on the head with all of that. Personally I recommend running regular backups regardless and I can definitely vouch for Acronis being a brilliant solution.

Clintlgm
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
I keep my MS updates set to download, but ask me to install, this keep me from forgetting to update and also gives me the chance to see what's in the updates before installing and it also keeps my computers from rebooting with out my knowledge.

I'll also 3rd the recomendation of Acronis, I use the paid home version with the plus Pack and also have a copy of the Disk director which works great for cloning a disks of differnt sizes,

dstrakele
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Windows Update will display a list of available updates for your laptop on each startup whether you choose to download them or not.

ashue
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
i was just wondering how come i did not came across this update as i am also using windows 8 and as far as i know that everyone should be getting the same update. like what @dstrakele, backups and restore point are important if you are keen on updating your windows every now and then and the other thing that was mentioned is that the lists of the available updates are available and you can read the description of it and search if it has any bugs/issues with it. if ever i will encounter the same issue i will post back to this thread.

Ballet
02-12-2013, 11:20 PM
it was a strange time for an update. i agree....... but there it was..... there has been a series of updates since it... some today and some yesterday too.. so i am sure good old microsoft knows they have a problem... i tried to post the issue on the micrsoft support formun but it would not anyone log into it o for quite some time over the weekend...... yes its microsoft issue but asus will not sell too many of these win8 machines if this continues... thanks for the advice everyone..

DirtyCodingHabitz
02-13-2013, 12:23 AM
I just installed 11 updates and I was a bit worried after reading your post. Everything went well like always.

Ballet
02-13-2013, 12:45 AM
yes i dont like the windows update process at all in this new windows 8.... it just seems shaky..... and being so early does not help........ it seems to take a while too.!.... i crossed my fingers today as well as yesterday... i was working on a new joomla website when my computer completely crashed by a windows 8 update...... i spend hundreds of hours on it and was so afraid that i lost it all.. i have backups but joomla with several other things....is not the same as simple dreamweaver (html) files.... i find myself backing things up every 30 minutes with windows 8......... i have to say i dont like win8 much at all... the file associations are a pain too....

srmojuze
02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
bought the asus G75 VX in canada here with windows 8, there was a windows 8 update on friday that totally crashed the computter... took me 2 days to get windows going again. my experience with windows 8 on this asus G75 is that I feel it is full of bugs... i feel nervous and that its too early for win8 to be on this and that asus should have done a better job getting this right... .. i have been a big fan of the asus G75 laptops and their build quality but i have to admit i am very upset at asus for putting this out on the market. .. just spent all weekend getting this thing back up in time to go back to work with a working laptop. this cost me a lot of time away from family and re-installing everything... thanks microsoft and asus

Use Macrium Reflect. I know Windows 8 is a pain but if you reinstall and carefully image after each significant installation of games, etc.... That is one way to get good use out of Windows 8.

Honestly I haven't encountered anything on Windows 8 that is really worse than Windows 7 with a little tweaking here and there. The one advantage we have is that with an Asus ROG laptop at least we all have generally the same components between us users and we can use stock Nvidia drivers.

Good luck, post back here.