PDA

View Full Version : ASUS N46VM problems

JefersonPaz
02-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Hello, I recently bought an ASUS N46VM, but in the past weeks the screen started flashing and the device suspended while I was using. I tought it was a energy option, but everything is set as it's meant to be, and the problem doesn't happen so often sometimes, but it's a brand new computer and it's annoying me. Any ideas? Thanks.

JefersonPaz
02-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Well, here's a video:

http://youtu.be/e41CgIZWLzE

cl-Albert@ROG
02-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Welcome and thanks for the video!
I don't believe we sell the N46VM in North America and am not very familiar with this model, so you want to check with your local support if you are located elsewhere, but it does't look normal to me.
I'm a little curious if you were lucky to catch the problem in the video or if it happens often and you have a way to make it happen (like after 10 minutes of use etc.?).

Below are some random things to check and try which may not be very helpful, but if you still have time to return/exchange it with your store, you may want to check with them before it's too late (and also check with your local ASUS Call center/support for more ideas?).
Feel free to troubleshoot here more on the forums if you are interested.

1. If you are on AC power, power management shouldn't be taking affect while you are actively using the notebook, so just confirm you are plugged into AC power and the notebook recognizes this (I see you are plugged in according to the video, but cannot see if the notebook recognizes this) by the taskbar icon or battery charge light.
2. If the notebook somehow went into a power saving state (power LED should also be blinking?), it should wake up by pressing a key or clicking a touchpad button, so if this doesn't work, it's a bad sign to me although also make sure the battery has sufficient charge and is charging.
3. If an external monitor is available, plug one in to see if just your notebook screen is having some problem and try moving it back and forth to see if it makes a difference (bad connection?), or just try moving you screen back and forth without the external monitor when it happens.
4. If it didn't happen at first and you want to eliminate software issues, try the refresh, system restore, or reset/recovery (if using Win8?), but just make sure you have everything backed up.

Good luck and don't forget to check with your store or local support too in case they happen to know about it!

JefersonPaz
02-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi, it's a model that is sold in Latin America, and unfortunely no, the problem is happening every single minute, I'm lucky to NOT see it happening, it's easy to reproduce because its automatic, I do not "make it happen". When the screen goes off the touchpad does not wake it up, neither the power button, I have to close the lid and wait a while so it can back on. The local ASUS support have been making me wait for two weeks and no answer.

I did a system full restore and while the system was in the process, the screen went off several times, only the suspending problem didn't happened.

Something curious is that the device makes a strange noise after the screen goes off, I believe it's really a hardware issue. I hope ASUS fixes it, I'm been waiting for a while now.

Thanks.

cl-Albert@ROG
02-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi, have you sent in the notebook to ASUS for service (or replacement from your store if possible?)?
I may not be able to help very much if you are not in the U.S., but will try.

Chino
02-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Please go into the BIOS and check what version the laptop is using.

JefersonPaz
02-16-2013, 05:52 PM
The BIOS version is 404, I believe it's the latest straight from them, on the website the latest available is 303.

I've sent the device to tech support, I just wanted to know if this was a commom error with the model. Thanks.