PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the asus installation disk, sort of...

AQUASTEVAE
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
i copied the g74sx installation disk onto a usb drive, and now the drive says that it is write protected, and i can't seem to erase it. i have tried a normal format, acronis disk cleanser and acronis file shredder. nothing seems to work. i need this usb drive, and so am looking for a way to destroy this information on it, and recover its use. any help is extremely appreciated.

xeromist
02-11-2013, 11:38 PM
This drive doesn't have a physical write protection switch on it, does it? Sometimes those get bumped on.

Have you tried actually deleting the partition(s) and not just formatting? Like in the Windows Disk Management tool.

dstrakele
02-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Right-click on the USB flash drive letter in Windows Explorer and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. See if there is a "Read Only" or "Write Protection" checkbox you can UNcheck in that dialog.

There are utilities that remove Write Protection from USB flash drives as well.

If you speak in hexadecimal and live on the Command Line, see http://www.easydos.com/attrib.html. Remember the ATTRIB command? I sure don't...

AQUASTEVAE
02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
no, it has no physical write protection button.
what is the BEST program for removing write protection?
i don't do much command line stuff.

i have tried the regedit "0" method.
i have tried a low level format, and the files are still there.
i have tried the checkdisk from cmd method.
and yep, tried to delete the volume in disk management. it was grayed out.
this has to be the strongest write protection in the world!!!!!!!!!! nothing can beat it.

AQUASTEVAE
02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
no, there are no areas on the context menu of the drive that allow me to check or uncheck write-protection. i am beginning to think that there is no way to fix this, unless there is a program that is specific to destroying these files on this drive. the low level format certainly didn't do it. it kept saying error, write protected.

any other idea's????????????????

xeromist
02-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Burn an Ubuntu Live CD and format it there? I bet the Linux disk utilities won't give a rats ass what kind of write protection it's supposed to have. :D

AQUASTEVAE
02-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Burn an Ubuntu Live CD and format it there? I bet the Linux disk utilities won't give a rats ass what kind of write protection it's supposed to have. :D

i don't have access to writable cd's or dvd's. can i make a usb drive into an ubuntu live drive, and use that?

xeromist
02-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Yup. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Twotenths
02-15-2013, 08:30 AM
I have a program called Paragon Hard disk Manager 12 suite. I had a similar problem with a HDD drive that wouldn't let me access it or change permissions or do anything that Windows Disk Manager could handle either. I used the Paragon software and it deleted the partition but could not create a new one. I rebooted and then I used Windows disk Manager to create a new simple volume. Worked like a charm. I have no more issues with access anymore. For your Flash drive you will need to use x-fat to format depending on the drive size. Under a certain size you can just use Fat32 but for a larger flash drive you need to use x-fat or Ex-fat to create a larger volume size in fat32 mode. As long as you can delete the partition first then you can recreate it as well in whatever format you want.