PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing a ssd.

drocks101
02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
I am going to be buy a g75vw-ds71 with the 2 750 hard drives. I would like to take one out and put in a ssd. Does anyone know which hard drive is the boot drive and how do you guys feel about these two videos on how to install a ssd. I learn much better by seeing things done than reading about it. Here are the two videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rMlsfk10PUA#!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_yr2VDuoEo
Like I said, tell me what you think. Is this the actual process?

Clintlgm
02-12-2013, 05:55 PM
All you need to know is here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status= Clean install would be the best way to go , you'll get rid of a lot of bloatware. You can Clone you HD to SSD with the proper software Acronis is one a free one that lots of people on here have had good luck with Macrium I'm sure there are others but these to work. G75 is very easy to get to the hard drives you'll find direction in the Stickies.

Video 1 shows you the drive bays and Ram slots. I didn't have time to watch the whole video.
I would take out the left drive first then check to make you the drive remaining is indeed your OS drive! then proceed from there with out putting the 2nd drive back in until you have your OS installed and booting!!

drocks101
02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I know I want to do a fresh install. I am not going to do anything on the computer, except to make a restore cd, until I have the ssd installed. I have read that thread a couple of times and don't get much out of it because I don't learn that well from reading. Is there any videos that you would recommend instead of that thread. Also, what exactly does a windows 7 restore disk cover. Does it back up drives, os, bios?

Clintlgm
02-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Well actually the very first thing you should do is make sure everything is working correctly before you change anything.
Test all your systems Furmark run the full 15 minute test and see what your temps are insure you have good pasting on your CPU and GPU. Make sure your WiFi is working and your USB port are working USB 3.0, Check your screen make sure you don't have any dead Pixels or other distortions. Run some kind of Burn in Test or benchmark program. You will only have a short check out time to return to the Vendor should you have any problems.
If you do have any problems they will drive you crazy trying to do a clean install, Or if there software problems that a clean install might solve you'll be aware of that to deal with it.

*banned website*

My VW is running BIOS 210 I have no issues. I also have not heard of any upgrades or anything working any better with the updated BIOS, Seeing that a few people have Bricked their NB updating there BIOS, I won't do another update until such time as there is a good reason too.

rewben
02-13-2013, 03:04 AM
@drocks101, the 'guide' is not meant to be a coherent one; it serves as a reference of things that you should be aware of for g55/g75.

the thing is that many of the more well-written detailed tutorials about fresh install can be found on the internet already, if you searched for them using google. note that the first video showed you the restore process which has been covered by Cecil_2099 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75), not a fresh install.

Clintlgm
02-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification Rewben, I didn't realize ********** guide was banned again. I won't reference it again.

xeromist
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification Rewben, I didn't realize ********** guide was banned again. I won't reference it again.

Yeah, sorry about editing your posts and it's nothing against you. He has a lifetime ban for multiple rules violations (soliciting payments for support, bigoted abuse of a fellow member, not to mention the constant advertisement of his site). He sees this forum as a source of traffic to generate revenue through his website and he's made zero effort to get along. The sad thing is that some of his material is actually helpful so it's too bad it has to go with him. If he was a nicer guy and if he had tried to work with ASUS maybe they could have come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.

So yeah, if he comes back under a new name please just report him. Thanks.

rewben
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
oh now i got it. it's too bad :/

drocks101
02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
So I am clear, to create a restore cd I need to get the computer booted up and use al recovery (which I assume is already on the computer) to make the cd? What all does this program back up? Will I need to make a separate disk to back up drivers? Sorry for the questions, I am having a hard time pulling all the information together from all of the guides and all of the other information. Is there a way to explain the process simpler that what has already been explained (maybe with out so much jargon and such).

xeromist
02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
The full recovery set spans several discs and includes drivers. You should use the built in windows backup utility or a 3rd party product to perform routine backups of documents and such but this will restore your system.

rewben
02-13-2013, 08:01 PM
first of all, restore dvds can only be created using ai recovery if your laptop came with windows 7.

the restore dvds contains necessary files to restore your laptop to factory settings, i.e. like what you saw when you first bought your laptop (this include the operating system, drivers and software that came with your laptop; all in the initial working state). the simpler version of this is to use F9 recovery (i.e. press the f9 key repeatedly upon boot).

note that it does not restore your data.

the process is straight forward:
1. create the dvds using ai recovery and label them accordingly (disk 1, 2, 3, and so on); yes you need to boot the computer up and use the ai recovery software to create the restore dvds (actually, you should see it show up when you log in to windows if you haven't created the recovery dvds already);
2. boot the laptop with the first dvd;
3. follow the steps, and insert the next dvds, in ascending order, when asked.

the whole process takes about an hour.

it is not necessary to back up your drivers in a separate disk if you performed a restore this way; but, please check out ASUS' support page for latest drivers.

drocks101
02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Ok thanks for the information, it is starting to make more sense to me. Since this will be a new computer the steps I am getting out of this to upgrade to a ssd is to 1) turn on laptop and make sure everything works fine and make sure I won't have to send it back 2) create recovery disks using al recovery 3) determine which hard drive is my boot drive 4) remove my boot drive and replace with ssd 5) insert back up cd and boot from it 6) let the recovery software do its work until done. If there is more I am missing please let me know ( I am sure this is too simplified and I am missing steps).

rewben
02-14-2013, 04:08 AM
a g75vw-ds1 is a model with 2x750gb hdd. putting 2 hdds in for the restore process will most likely cause issues (please, refer to Cecil_2099's thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75)).

i suggest you:
1. create your restore dvds;
2. take out both hdds;
3. put in only the new ssd and do the restore process.

Clintlgm
02-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Unfortunate his guides were pretty good, such is life. I take no offence

drocks101
02-14-2013, 06:30 AM
On a new ssd, will I have to do any formatting or prep to it before I load windows on it?

rewben
02-14-2013, 07:27 AM
no, you don't need to do anything if you proceed with restore dvd route.

drocks101
02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I have another question about the hdd I will be taking out of the machine. It will have the old copy of w7 on it. I was wanting to make this drive an external hard drive. My question is can I just drop this drive into a enclosure strait of the the computer and have it work or do I need to do some sort of hard drive erase and format.

xeromist
02-14-2013, 05:29 PM
The drive will work but you'll still have everything that was on it. If you want it to be clean then you can either wipe it before you take it out or after you put it in the enclosure, doesn't matter.

drocks101
02-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Will I have to format the drive, or just wipe?

xeromist
02-14-2013, 06:42 PM
I would reformat it because it has the restore partition, right? Plus it's set up as a bootable device and you don't really want that anyway if it's going to be a data drive.

What I would do is get set up with the new drive and confirm that everything is shiny before nuking the old drive. Hook the old drive up via the enclosure and go to Windows disk management (right-click My Computer>Manage>Disk Managment). Right-click and delete volume until you have a blank disk then right-click and create a new simple volume. Use NTFS for large hard drives intended for use only by Windows machines, FAT32 for thumb drives you might use to flash a BIOS.

drocks101
02-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Ok thanks, I appreciate the information. Everyone is very helpful here!

drocks101
02-25-2013, 12:59 AM
If I create a recovery cd using ai recovery and then use that cd on my new ssd, will that install all of the bloatware that comes with the comupter?

rewben
02-25-2013, 01:23 AM
yes, it will.

drocks101
02-25-2013, 02:19 AM
Ok, so my next question is: Does the new g75s come with a windows 7 product key and if it does, could I just download a copy of windows 7 and use my product key to do a fresh install.

rewben
02-25-2013, 02:35 AM
for machines with stock w7, usually there is a sticker with product key at the back of the laptop (some are in the battery compartment). i think you can also retrieve the key with keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/).

yes, you can use it for a fresh install.

drocks101
02-25-2013, 02:51 AM
Ok thanks rewben. I think that is the route I will go since everyone says that a fresh install is better. Do the computer come with a driver cd, or do I need to make one.

rewben
02-25-2013, 02:55 AM
i think you should get the latest drivers from ASUS website; save and extract them in separate folders in an external drive/usb.

drocks101
02-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Should I download all of the drivers that the asus website (or here http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/) brings up for windows 7? I ask because looking at all of the drivers that the asus website brings up, there seems to be a lot of them I dont need such as the BIOS 223 update that fixes the 3d in samsung panels.

rewben
02-25-2013, 09:04 AM
you should pick only what you need. or, you can download them all, and then choose to install the ones you need.

drocks101
02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Forgive me for being so dumb to all of this, since this is the first time doing anything like this, but if you could tell me exactly which ones I need that would be very helpful. I dont know which ones I need or want. Also I am have a hard time making a bootable usb with 64bit win7 on my 32bit xp. When I use the win7 usb/dvd download tool, it completes and say: "Files copied successfully. However we were unable to run bootsect to make the usb device bootable.

Clintlgm
02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Check out this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)