PDA

View Full Version : Win 8 and slow boot time/keyboard sloppiness

Wotanik
02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I got a new G75-VW few weeks ago (through RMA, I got my old G73 replaced as it went totally dead) and it came with Win 7. I just upgraded Win 8 Pro over Win 7, no problems there. I uninstalled all Asus related software and such in Win 7and got the Win 8 drivers. Still no problems, except for the horrible boot time.

I get 1-3min boot time. My tray icons and all software takes that much to load. I even disabled most of the programs but it's still doing that with the most essential ones.

One thing I noticed is that my HDD load during the boot is 100%. When the boot is over, the HDD works ok. I think that might be the reason.

I checked if Seagate has firmware for this Momentus drive, but no. I seem to have some newer version of their drive: ST9500423AS. Seagate's site just states that I have the latest firmware.

Should I do a fresh install or what? First thing what I did was to get rid of the bloatware in Win 7, then I flashed the the latest BIOS and I'm not sure if the BIOS and my Win 8 Pro is compatible. I got my Win 8 key from university, so I have no idea what kind of OS version I've burnt to a DVD, except that it's Pro.

Other slight problem I'm having is the keyboard. It's a bit "whacky". Sometimes it won't register my keystrokes, it feels like the keys are stuck or something. It doesn't give "the sound" when I hit the key even though I hit it straight in the middle. These keys feel more "open" than they were in my G73 anyway.

Any ideas?

Apexing
02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I would say, do a clean install insted of upgrade.
its bound to fix any issues.

did you have the keyboard issue prior to upgrade?

Wotanik
02-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Alright, I made a fresh install... everything is fine, but now Metro apps are broken, not a single one will load. I think it's some kind of 3rd party software vs Win 8 issue instead of G75 issue.

Keystroke sloppiness is still there. It seems to be a "mechanical" problem, not software related.

cl-Albert
02-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi, as far as the keyboard issue goes you might want to check this discussion to help determine if it's 'normal' or not for this model.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28757-G75VW-Keys-ALL-require-hard-press-or-overtravel&country=&status=

smidge710
02-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I am having the same problem. I have a g75 and am running windows 8. it only takes about 1min to boot up to login screen. and then after that it takes about 3 minutes for everything to load.. all tray icons, gadgets and whatnot... id rather not to a clean install of windows if there is another solution?

Apexing
02-16-2013, 05:36 PM
press windowskey + r type msconfig, press the services tab, disable any none microsoft stuff you dont need on start. then click start tab, then click the go into job thingy. disable stuff from running at start up which you dont need.

smidge710
02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
hey thanks! i disabled quite a few thins, i sure theres more, not exactly sure what asus, intel nvidia stuff i need running at startup. or adobe flash... stuff like that