PDA

View Full Version : how to partition during win7 recovery

peter71
07-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Hello,

I tried to reinstall win7 (home premium) on my Asus UL80AG laptop from the included recovery dvd, but then I arrived to the point in the recovery steps, where it asks me where I want to recover windows. It offers 3 options : recover to whole disk, recover to first partition only, or recover to 2 partitions.

Now my problem is that I want to partition my HDD customized to my needs, and don't know, which option to choose from the aboves in order to get to an fdisk-like partitioning tool similar to as during XP installation for example.

All the three above options suggest me that the recovery process has predefined HDD partition layouts (including the recovery partition that I dont't want at all), thus not allowing a manual partitioning during installation time, which is in this case not even an installation, rather only a re-ghosting the notebook to its factory status.

But if it is true, then it means, I haven't received a full-featured windows 7 with my computer, as it could be expected, and happens normally when someone buys a computer with an OEM windows 7.

Can someone please help me out ?

Area 66
07-12-2011, 06:18 PM
If you delete the recovery partition, you will not be able to reinstall your OS, the price of the license of Windows include with your laptop was only a small % of an OEM disk, this reduce greatly your initial investment, you can purchase you own Windows and reinstall it the way you like.

xeromist
07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Since you entered a recovery mode it only provides recovery options, by definition. If you are not happy with the partition layout then the best thing would be to do the recovery and alter the partition structure after the fact with a partition tool. Windows 7 even includes one but it's pretty limited.

If you really want to do a fresh installation for some reason then you will need to do a key extraction and install from regular Windows 7 media using that key. You can get ISO images online if you don't have a disc to borrow. This has been discussed a few times on this forum and NBR as well.

peter71
07-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the answers

iwaskilled
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
you can customize your partitions after recovery using the disk management tool in Win 7 (right click "My Computer" > Manage > Storage > Disk Management) This tool is very helpful. You can also use a command line management tool if you are a little more tech savy and need more control by going to CMD > type " DISKPART " and follow the " help " prompts. Hope this helps~!