PDA

View Full Version : So I'm going to need some help..

Kaboom
06-22-2010, 09:20 PM
I just received my PC parts, but I'm a newbie when it comes to overclocking. I'll be putting it together today, but was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me at all :P

ottoyu34
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Absolutely, I will help. show us some pictures?

martin_metal_88
06-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I second! Otto can help you and I can also! but...we have to know what are thesepart and what you want to do with:)

Kaboom
06-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Ok.. so I ran a DX Diag.. and here's what I have.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU K 875 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4086MB RAM
Page File: 1788MB used, 6381MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: ASUS EAH5870 Series
Display Memory: 2797 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1783 MB
I have the H50 Corsair CPU cooler, Antec 750W power supply, and a 120GB SSD

martin_metal_88
06-25-2010, 03:31 AM
Here your limit will probably be the H50 cooler. I already own one and afterI realise it was crap and my 30$ vendetta 2 was better I sell it to Otto ( that was the first timw we talk :P ) then he realize it was crap and he sold it again lol... What is your mobo also?
And finally, what freq you want to reach?? Give us some pic of the build:P::P

ottoyu34
06-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Great parts you got there Kaboom.

Just want to point out, the 5870 is an awesome card. Great performance (runs most of current games in highest setting with decent fps) while doing it with low TDP and low noise.

Few general points, if you didnt know already:

1)It's a good idea to take note of the heat output and noise level of the system. After overclocking, heat will dramatically increase, so does the power consumption. Personally, I'm very demaning about slient operation.
2)Let us know what case all the goodies are in. First thing is to get the cooling right.
3)There are great guides around the web about i7 overclocking. It will give you a good idea about it.
Once you got some ideas, you can start messing around with the BIOS or use Asus TurboV EVO in windows. There's also the auto overclocking feature that the system will OC itself.

martin_metal_88
06-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree with otto but personally I would tell you to play in bios and don't use windows software. OC is a bios thing and you have to learn how it workbecause if you can't reach windows and you don;t know how the bios work well, it's less a pain to give a .5V more compare to clear cmos and start all over. Just my opinion.

Kaboom
06-25-2010, 04:46 PM
The mobo is a Maximus III Formula and the case is DF-85
Later today I have to move the CPU cooler because it's taking up some space where the sound card should go. Blah. I'll get pics up later after I move everything around. What was the option where your BIOS can OC everything for you?

ottoyu34
06-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm guess it's Antec DF-85. How do you like it?

If there's any 120mm fan hole on the top you can mount it there, else mount it on the rear exhausting fans

In BIOS, you can go in <Extreme Tweaker menu> (where we usually manual oc), then on the top you can see <CPU Level up>.
You will see a few level in OC in different Ghz.

Continuing from the general points:
4)Always stress test the system after you overclock. Making sure the overclock is stable will ensure no trouble down the road.
you don't want to see BSOD everytime you game. I suggest you to use Prime95 and LinX to stress test. I use more of the latter
now.

martin_metal_88
06-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I would also suggest to use more Linx with 20 run of all test ( can click on ALL at the upper right ) because with prime most of the time a game or folding will stress the CPU more...Linx is a variant of Intel Burn In test which is the tool used by intel to test CPU so it's pretty nice.

Kaboom
06-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Loving the DF-85 case (Yes, it's Antec) except for one thing. I've hooked up my CPU cooler in what seems to be the only spot I can, and now the cooler is covering part of my slot for my sound card! I've been without sound for days :( So, I'm trying to figure out if I can move it.. I can't place it on the top fan, no room. As far as the front fans go, I may have to try that, but here's some pics (not the greatest) of the build. I'm not sure about onboard sound.. but without a card it shows one speaker device, but it says it's not plugged in. Picture one shows my sound card problem.

http://img22.imageshack.us/g/90393705.jpg/

ottoyu34
06-28-2010, 07:02 AM
A few solutions you can try:
1) Try to rotate the radiator of the H50, 90degrees to the left or right. Adjust the H50 cool head's position by rotating it if needed. and see if the side panel closes too
2) Leave the first PCIE X1 slot along and put the sound card at the lowest white PCI-E slot. I assume the sound card works in any slot.
3) Mount the H50 radiator using the two lower screw holes of the upper rear fan (connecting to the upper two hole of the H50 rad). This is move it up few cm. But it will only be mounted with 2 screws.

Kaboom
06-28-2010, 04:29 PM
A few solutions you can try:
1) Try to rotate the radiator of the H50, 90degrees to the left or right. Adjust the H50 cool head's position by rotating it if needed. and see if the side panel closes too
2) Leave the first PCIE X1 slot along and put the sound card at the lowest white PCI-E slot. I assume the sound card works in any slot.
3) Mount the H50 radiator using the two lower screw holes of the upper rear fan (connecting to the upper two hole of the H50 rad). This is move it up few cm. But it will only be mounted with 2 screws.

I could definitely try rotating it, that sounds like a good idea. As for the PCI-E Slot, I tried lowering it to slot below (the one exactly the same) and it didn't work - didn't even light up to show it was getting power.

martin_metal_88
06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Fking antec...they can't even make a good case with multiple fan config...Rotate by 90 is the only clean way to do it if your card don't work in other PCI-e or PCI-1X slot. But she is supose to work in any PCI-e type ( 1X 2X 4X 8X 16X ). The only other thing you can do it to mounth the H50 direct on the case ( where the top rear 120 is ) and mount the fan at the back exterior of the case. Or ( the best IMO ) get a good air cooler like a Hyper 212+ whoch is like 30 buck and kill a H50 anytime XD

Kaboom
06-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Is there a way that slot below it isn't set for sound cards? Is there a way to change it in bios?

martin_metal_88
06-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Is there a way that slot below it isn't set for sound cards? Is there a way to change it in bios?

not supose to. I personally never saw an option like that in any BIOS. It's just wierd that your card don't work in any other slot. What is your sound card and does it need a power source like a floppy power conenctor? Try the sound card in all the PCI 1X and PCI-E 16Xon the board. In the worst case you will have to put the sound card in another PCI-E slot loke the pther red or the white one. Keep us up to date!

Edit : After some research on your mobo your sound card need a power cable ( floppy power ) to work. I don't know if you were aware of this but we never know.

Kaboom
06-29-2010, 01:19 AM
It's a Supreme FX X-Fi and yes it is plugged into the power source.

martin_metal_88
06-29-2010, 03:21 AM
It's a Supreme FX X-Fi and yes it is plugged into the power source.

Sorry to have asked you a such dumb question but we have to :P ok then...I am a bit lost about your issue...I am looking to find a complete view of your BIOS to find of some option can disable the second PCI-1X I will give you some news tomorrow.

Kaboom
06-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Awesome, thank you! I find it funny in the first slot (the one near the ROG symbol) it works fine, but the one right below I get absolutely no reaction from. Meh.

martin_metal_88
06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
So I found no option in your bios that seems to enable or disable PCI-E ( 1X ) fonction. You can still take a look I am not perfect:P Can you try to put the card in some of the PCI-E 16X slot to see if it work like it suppose to?

Kaboom
06-29-2010, 07:25 PM
The larger slot? Tried and didn't get any reaction. I also made sure the BIOS output is set to HDMI not AC'97. I guess I'm going to have to try that 2 screw suggestion as soon as I get to borrow my bf's screw driver. Doh >_<

martin_metal_88
06-30-2010, 02:45 AM
The very last thing that come in mind to me is to try a network card or another sound card on the mobo or try your in another board with multiple PCI-1X. If the card work in other board or other card don't work in your board then I would call a defective unit for your Mobo.

Kaboom
06-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm going to try rotating the H50 as soon as I get the tools. Will let you know how things go then.

V2-V3
07-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Nice system build there!

you must upload some pics for us!

Some things you should have to start overclocking are:
CPU-Z
GPU-Z
Core Temp
Prime 95

Download these and when you get them installed let us know your idle and load CPU temperatures

I can give you instructions of how to tweak your bios for the best OC

ottoyu34
07-01-2010, 03:59 AM
Yup, I personally choose Real Temp over Core Temp. It has more functions and even displays GPU temps.

V2-V3
07-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Yup, I personally choose Real Temp over Core Temp. It has more functions and even displays GPU temps.

Good to know, i will be adding real temp to my software list :)

Brian@ASUS
07-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I use finger temp. If it burns, then it must be HOT!

ottoyu34
07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I use finger temp. If it burns, then it must be HOT!

Haha. That's why I'm getting my lazer temp probe.
If I can touch it and hold it for 3 sec. It's not hot :P

Kaboom
07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I should be doing my rebuild tonight. Going to try and clean up some of those wires too :) Wish me luck! Hopefully by the time I'm done I'll have sound :D

Boofus
07-03-2010, 08:33 AM
That is fairly weird that the card wont work in any slot.. Rebuilds are fun i tend to do them every once and awhile.

Kaboom
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Sweet! My rebuild was a success! I got everything working including my sound :) Made sure the H50 was on right as well, and I still idle around 40-42C but I read around some other forums and apparently my CPU just runs hot.

V2-V3
07-03-2010, 07:47 PM
What thermal paste are you using? and what are your load temps?

Kaboom
07-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I think I'm ready to OC :D

ottoyu34
07-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Sweet! My rebuild was a success! I got everything working including my sound :) Made sure the H50 was on right as well, and I still idle around 40-42C but I read around some other forums and apparently my CPU just runs hot.

Is that stock TIM? that's a bit hot for stock i7 860 with H50.

Generally, I would be safe to say core i7 family cpus runs reasonalbe cool at idle with low power consumptions for stock speeds. But once it's overclocked, since TM and power saving has to be turned off. They give out quite a fair amount of heat.

Kaboom
07-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm ready to overclock! Where and what should I start with?

ottoyu34
07-09-2010, 03:42 AM
I'm ready to overclock! Where and what should I start with?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwbzQblRQ7I

this should give you some ideas. But the key is read, read and read.
Worst case, you default everything and ask us again. good luck.

Kaboom
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I read online about my temps. I have it idle around 38-40C and for the processor a lot of people have said that's what they idle at. The thermal paste is totally in contact, and everything is hooked up fine. While gaming it gets anywhere from 40-52 is the highest I've seen.

Kaboom
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the vid!

V2-V3
07-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Set your CPU Ratio Multiplier to 25x

Walk your BCLK up in 5MHz increments till you hit 4GHz (or 160MHz BCLK)

1.28v for the CPU Voltage is a good ballpark for 4Ghz on your Intel i7 875K

Every 10MHz you increase your BCLK run Prime95 for 30 minutes Prime 95 64bit (http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p64v2511.zip) Prime 95 32bit x86 (http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p95v2511.zip)
Check your temps with Real Temp at 30 minutes Real Temp Download (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1691i/RealTemp_340.zip)

once you reach 4GHz lower your CPU voltage and run Prime95 again for 30 minutes.
keep dropping your core voltage and repeat load testing untill you find the lowest stable voltage, this will keep your CPU temperature to a minimum

Remember to set your DRAM and QPI Frequency ratio to the lowest setting. this will allow you to stress the cpu independently.

DRAM Voltage should be set at 1.65v or what the memory is rated at.
your QPI can be set to auto because your BCLK is relativity low at 160MHz (the AUTO applied voltage will work)

Hpnotiq
08-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Wait wait.. 2 months ago Kaboom was getting her parts in boxes and playing square peg round hole with her hardware and trying to figure out how to do basic OC'n and just last weekend in Dallas she went over 6 GHz on LN2 in a hotel room!?... Next she will be asking about case mods... then walk into a convention with a gold plated, floating case that uses wireless power, time travels when it reaches 88 MPH and generates 1.21 gigawatts! Great Job Kaboom!

V2-V3
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Wait wait.. 2 months ago Kaboom was getting her parts in boxes and playing square peg round hole with her hardware and trying to figure out how to do basic OC'n and just last weekend in Dallas she went over 6 GHz on LN2 in a hotel room!?... Next she will be asking about case mods... then walk into a convention with a gold plated, floating case that uses wireless power, time travels when it reaches 88 MPH and generates 1.21 gigawatts! Great Job Kaboom!

Kaboom is absolutely amazing, brilliant, motivated, determined, patient, beautiful, the fastest learner i know she can retain information like an elephant! I have never trained anyone like her, from zero overclocking experience to 3 hours on LN2 she was, prepping a board with kneaded eraser, mounting a CPU pot, pouring Liquid Nitrogen, maintaining a tight temp swing, blow torching out of cold bug in a benchmark and clocking 6.4Ghz on the i7-980x, All she needs now is some HWbot bench results and we have an aspiring Pro on our hands :D

Congrats Kaboom, Keep up the hard work and lets see some overclocks!!!!! :D