PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75VW-BBK5 Freezing Problems

Wirdo
02-14-2013, 06:05 AM
Hello all. I recently purchased a G75VW-BBK5 from best buy about a couple months ago. i7-3610qm, GTX 660m, and 12 GB of RAM installed. Everything was going fine for the past few months, but up until recently I've encountered numerous graphical and overall computer problems.

Over the last week, my computer froze three times, unable to move the mouse or open task manager. The audio froze aswell if I was watching a youtube video or playing music, forcing me to do a hard reboot. Also while playing high end demanding games with the 660M I've encountered numerous graphical glitches. The most frequent one is that textures seem to be edgy/moving on their own, and black lines emerge from their models until you can't see. This happened in Far Cry 3, as well in GTA 4 and in Amnesia the Dark Descent. I've come to the conclusion that it's not the game itself, it's the actual card.

Overall i'm not impressed with the G75's 660m power and it's ability to play demanding high end games. I've updated the GPU to the latest drivers and i'm still experiencing glitches.

As far as the freezing of the computer, I have ran AVG and cleaned my computer. I scanned my drives and defrag'ed/ analyzed and all seems well. I've heard numerous people complain about the G75 and now I'm resenting my decision to purchase one.

I'm looking for a solution. I don't think I can return the laptop since it's past the 30 day period for Best Buy. Any solutions?

Zygomorphic
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
@Wirdo, I am sorry that your first visit to the forums is under such circumstances. The 660M should be able to play high-end games at high settings. The 660M is somewhat slower than the 670M, but runs cooler and uses less power (better battery life). What nVidia driver version are you using?

Dreamonic
02-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Still using the factory pre-installed Windows 8?

Honestly, it could have been a Windows update that stirred everything up to something else Windows 8 doesn't mesh with that well - outdated factory drivers or software.

When you say "latest drivers"... are you referring to NVIDIA video drivers or ASUS? There is a major difference here.

You could run some GPU stress tests to see if any visual anomalies appear, perhaps the temperature on your 660M was getting too high or not enough power. How long in a game until you notice artifacts? Do you know if it is running @ BOOST = 950Mhz in games? What is the GPU/Mem load while? Did you OC anything? What do you have running at startup? Possible you have a utility installed that auto-updates drivers *cough* that is known to be a problem. What is your ambient room temp? It most likely is just a driver corruption under Windows 8... yet again.

I don't know how you treat your system or what you installed or configured, so I have nothing to work with there.
If it is simply all factory set, I would suggest backing up your important data and do a fresh install of Windows (whether 8 or 7) so you can verify your hardware woes on a stable platform; keeping RMA out of your mind until defective hardware is verified.

dstrakele
02-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't think I can return the laptop since it's past the 30 day period for Best Buy. Any solutions?

I've read of Best Buy working with customers that were just beyond the exchange/return period in this forum, helping them to exchange their defective laptop for a new one. You purchased a big ticket item from them. They'll want to keep you as a customer....

1) Check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-happening...&p=222136&viewfull=1#post222136 for some suggestions to troubleshoot your lockup issues. Since your lockup issue occurred just recently, try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the problems occurred.

2) Freezing during YouTube videos or while listening to music is the type of issue that lends itself to troubleshooting with a Linux "LiveCD" distribution to determine if the cause is hardware or Windows software. You download it and burn to a CD or DVD, then boot your machine with it. Since you are then using Linux drivers rather than Windows, if you fail to reproduce the freezes, it could indicate a Windows driver conflict. If the lockups also occur in Linux, it's then likely to be hardware-related. Since Linux is running entirely from the CD, you don't need to modify your current Windows installation for this test.

3) Alternatively, you could perform an F9 ASUS Factory Recovery to return your Windows installation to an out-of-the-box state. You did report you initially had no problems. If the issues persist, the ASUS Factory Recovery is a good way to remove your personal files from the OS partition or drive prior to returning the laptop.

4) NVIDIA driver remnants that fail to uninstall can cause video issues. I recommend updating to the latest NVIDIA driver version by booting into Windows Safe Mode and performing a 'clean' NVIDIA install (launch the NVIDIA installer, choose "Custom Instal" and check the "Clean Installation" checkbox). The clean install will hopefully remove any previously uninstalled NVIDIA driver remnants while performing the installation from Safe Mode will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with your NVIDIA driver installation.

So do some troubleshooting to see if you can resolve your issues. If that fails, contact Best Buy to see if they'll work with you for an exchange or complete refund. As @Dreamonic advised, keep "RMA out of your mind until defective hardware is verified" and return is not an option.

Wirdo
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM
@Wirdo, I am sorry that your first visit to the forums is under such circumstances. The 660M should be able to play high-end games at high settings. The 660M is somewhat slower than the 670M, but runs cooler and uses less power (better battery life). What nVidia driver version are you using?

I currently have the driver version of 310.90 of the GeForce GTX 660M driver. I am willing to troubleshoot my PC this weekend, regarding starting in Linux and seeing if it's software or hardware. I am currently running Windows 7 Home Premium. I've had this OS numerous times before and it's fine.

@Dreamonic I also do GFX too, nice to see other artists :)
The black artifacts only occur till the end of a gaming sesh. They only appear around 45 min after I've been playing the game. My room temp is 60-65 Degrees Fahrenheit and the GPU itself usually stays around 35-40 Degrees Fahrenheit surfing the web, and around 50 Degrees playing a game. I have OC'ed the card before with a +135 mhz base clock plus an additonal +300-+400 mhz memory clock. The card seems to do fine and temp's only get up to 60-65 degrees MAX, card usually stays under 60 degrees while overclocking. Far Cry 3 is probably the most demanding game i've ever played. My comp can only run it on medium while Max OC'ed and it sometimes can lag even when OC'ed.

As far as returning the computer, that would be my last resort.

I really appreciate the help guys, with quick responses over night.

Dreamonic
02-15-2013, 12:50 AM
GFX by night, sleeping by day - that's the designers way, heh.

Your temps look fine.

That says it all right there.. your memory overclock is too high for your particular 660M - mem artifacts are usually black/spot/semi-colored; core artifacts are usually stretched/poly/colored.

I would just run stock clocks for now on both core/mem and see if they still appear during a long gaming session. It's possible your 660M isn't a high overclocker or possibly has some bad VRAM chips if these particular artifacts appear on stock clocks - try underclocking too and see if they still show up.

Wirdo
02-15-2013, 01:37 AM
GFX by night, sleeping by day - that's the designers way, heh.

Your temps look fine.

That says it all right there.. your memory overclock is too high for your particular 660M - mem artifacts are usually black/spot/semi-colored; core artifacts are usually stretched/poly/colored.

I would just run stock clocks for now on both core/mem and see if they still appear during a long gaming session. It's possible your 660M isn't a high overclocker or possibly has some bad VRAM chips if these particular artifacts appear on stock clocks - try underclocking too and see if they still show up.
Last time I tried to underclock I practially screwed up my display and GPU haha, I did it wrong and I had to revert back to original. These artifacts appear even on a normal session without an OC. Just the other day they appeared without an OC. And what's the max memory clock i can do for the 660m?

Dreamonic
02-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Hmm..

Uninstall your current display drivers and clean all traces of them. Then install the 310.90's again.

You could download EVGA OC Scanner X and run the stress test, it'll show you artifact counts - just be wary on temps.

Since every card is different, you gotta find what's stable yourself. Most can do +500 on the mem. Right now though, I would worry not on performance but stability instead. Like you are doing now.

Just wanted to cross that off my list of possible causes.

It's possible that some driver corruption and certain games can display graphical glitches... maybe that's all it is.. but more tests will verify that or not.

PudgeamusPrime
07-05-2013, 12:35 PM
I am having this same problem as well. My computer will freeze for about 20 seconds to a minute. I found out that if I unplug the power, it sometimes will unfreeze right away or withing 10 seconds. It's starting to get annoying, Only seems to do it when browsing. never in game.

Sadler13
07-05-2013, 02:00 PM
A few simple things to try...
Make sure your CPU is set on High Performance mode and not on Entertainment mode or Quiet mode or Battery saving mode.
The 310.90 driver I think is out of date for the 660m, I just had the 660m in yesterday but I put in the 670M so I cant really remember.
I do have the same G75VW as you but now with a different GPU, I am running the 340.49 (Beta) Version and it has been flawless.

Just go to your Control panel, Uninstall program, then find all the GeForce installs and uninstall them.
After you restart your G75 the 660m will install itself back.
Then you need to go to http://www.geforce.com/ and install the GeForce Experience Tool.
After you have installed the downloader tool then run it and install the recommended latest driver for the 660m.
Also make sure you disable the Asus e-driver tool and Asus Splendid utility...they do cause horrendous slow downs.

Just remember that these are High end performance machines and not your typical back to school type notebook.
To get everything out of these machines its really important to know how to tweak and maintain them yourself.
thinking your getting a flawless machines out of the box from BestBuy is one thing but understanding how and why
they do not come flawless is another.
Just put in the effort and through trial and error you will learn a lot from your G75 and soon enough you will
have a powerful machine.

Zygomorphic
07-05-2013, 02:23 PM
@Sadler13 is correct, these computers are like expensive sports cars. They can run fine just "stock", but tweaking is the name of the game, and that is what distinguishes an ROG machine from any other ASUS machine.