PDA

View Full Version : [Q] G46VW unable to enter BIOS

generic
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi,

I've been trying to enter the G46 BIOS but am unable to get anywhere but into Windowss 8!

I've tried:
shutting down the notebook,
unplugging the notebook
pressing the power button
immediately pressing F2 several times a second. (I've also tried with the Del key and all of the Fn keys)
Result is it boots into Windows 8!

Is the BIOS locked in some way, or is there a trick? (The AsusTek web site states press F2...).

Weird.

generic
02-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi, I have manged to get into the BIOS. It was a lot of pressing the F2 really quickly.
Once in the BIOS I disabled Fast Boot (underneath the Boot tab).
Saved and reloaded the BIOS.

I would like to boot from a USB device or preferably the internal SD card slot. Does anyone know how to enable this? ( I though this would be under the Boot Option Priorties button, but this is greyed out. :(
)

Ciao!

generic
02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
SOLVED:

Secure Boot DISABLE
Launch CSM: ENABLED

reboot into BIOS.

USB Boot options are available.

Dreamonic
02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
You should pat yourself on the back for this. Good job for figuring it out! No, we weren't just watchin' and waiting to see what you'd do... Haha.

generic
02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
He he:D

Actually, I installed Ubuntu with WUBI from the Ubuntu v13.04 nightly builds.
One has to reenable Secure Boot afterwards or you'll be unable to boot into Win8. ( Or else you'll get message about having ti reinstall Windows from CDs:)
WUBI and Windows appear in a nice menu to select.
Selecting Win8 will work.
Selecting Ubuntu will fail as it is unable to locate the path to boot from. Options are presented to enter BIOS or reboot.

Crap.

SlyBlueFox
02-14-2013, 01:47 PM
I ran into this issue when I was trying to dual boot win8 & OSX. I had to reinstall win8 in BIOS mode (MBR partition) versus UEFI mode (GUID partion) in order to select either in my boot selector.

FYI, I went back to win8 UEFI only & it was a ***** trying to find out how.

Primeval
02-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Open the search menu, and type in "bios", click "Settings" and then "Advanced Startup Options", and then under the "General" tab scroll down to "Advanced Startup" and click "Restart Now".

generic
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
It is time to remove Secure Boot and it's ilk.

I want to use Win8 and Ubuntu with the BIOS (no secret boot stuff etc. Just Legacy BIOS etc).

Do I have to reinstall Windows 8 (OEM from Asus), or can I just install Ubuntu and let the bios boot from the active partition as usual, lauching Linux or Win8 etc as I see fit?

If yes, then does someone know the options in the bios?

Cheers.

rewben
02-15-2013, 09:28 AM
if you wished to use BIOS only, you need to change the bios:
1. disable Secure Boot Control and Fast Boot;
2. enable Launch CSM;

also, make sure the disk in which the OS is installed is a MBR disk; then you need to do a BIOS install of your w8.

generic
02-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Cheers rewben.

; then you need to do a BIOS install of your w8.

I have to reinstall Windows 8.

Shame, I wondered if I could just install the MBR from Windows 8 instead of a full re-installation.

rewben
02-15-2013, 09:55 AM
you might be interested in this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22542-GPT-gt-MBR-what-will-I-loose-what-will-cease-to-work).

please note that the partition schemes of a uefi and bios install are different. that's why i suggest you do a fresh install.

generic
02-15-2013, 10:21 AM
"Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager" looks like the painless tool to use. This costs money. DEMO LIMITATION: The demo version can not commit operations to disk.

Thx for the link to the thread.

rewben
02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
perhaps you can make use of google. please make sure you prepare for the worst: back up all your important data first before doing anything.

gypsymoth
03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I would like to boot from a USB device or preferably the internal SD card slot. Does anyone know how to enable this? ( I though this would be under the Boot Option Priorties button, but this is greyed out. :(
)

It's possible to boot from USB, but it's not possible to boot from the internal SD Card slot.

If "Launch CSM" is disabled, then only UEFI based operating system can boot. And they can boot off USB.
If "Launch CSM" is enabled, then only legacy operating systems (not UEFI) can boot.

gypsymoth
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
He he:D

Actually, I installed Ubuntu with WUBI from the Ubuntu v13.04 nightly builds.
One has to reenable Secure Boot afterwards or you'll be unable to boot into Win8. ( Or else you'll get message about having ti reinstall Windows from CDs:)
WUBI and Windows appear in a nice menu to select.
Selecting Win8 will work.
Selecting Ubuntu will fail as it is unable to locate the path to boot from. Options are presented to enter BIOS or reboot.

Crap.

You have to boot UEFI version of Ubuntu, which is 64-bit only. But dual-boot works with pre-installed Windows 8. See this web page:

Asus G46VW - Dual Boot Ubuntu 12.10 with Pre-Installed Windows 8
http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/DisplayComments.php?file=Computer/Notebook/Asus_G46VW_-_Dual_Boot_Ubuntu_12.10_with_Pre-Installed_Windows_8

rewben
03-05-2013, 11:46 AM
ah i see now; that's how the Launch CSM option is used.

Qatastrophe
04-12-2013, 04:53 PM
I was having the same problem. For the G46VW running Windows 8: As soon as the power up starts, when the screen first lights up (before any graphics appear on screen), push and hold down f2 the BIOS should come up in just a few seconds. It's an unreasonably short window of time for it to work.

DrPhill94
06-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi, I recently purchased the same model as Primeval, and I am also having trouble booting into the bios. I took the same steps as OP but I just can't get it. I'm tech savvy to a point, I'm going into college for CS but I'm still fairly green; how can I disable fast boot without getting into the bios? I've literally pressed F2 at about 6-8 times a second from the moment I turn the computer on and it just won't do it.

Thanks in advance!

JwPwns
06-15-2013, 09:08 PM
thats weird, because when i dual boot win 7 and win 8 on mine i never have to enable secure boot to enter win 8

DrPhill94
06-19-2013, 12:18 AM
There aren't any options in the bios regarding the CPU...