PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the G46VW

versions
02-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi there. I'm in the market for a new laptop and after a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to 2 possible options.

The things I was looking for were; 1200, decent build quality, decent looking (no horrible plastics or giant dragons), small (under 15"), reasonable battery life, as well as, of course, good performance. If anyone has any other suggestions, they are very welcome.

Either way, the laptops are the ASUS G46VW-W3072H and the Clevo W110ER. They cost the same, both come with an i7 3630QM and 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3. The Clevo comes with an 120GB SSD and an nVIDIA GT 650M while the ASUS has a 500GB 7200RPM SATA and an nVIDIA GTX 660M. The main difference for me is the screen size, the ASUS has, as you probably know, a 14" screen while the Clevo has an 11,6" screen. I will use the laptop for gaming on vacations as well as school and I'm a bit concerned about the size of the ASUS, if it's perhaps too large to conveniently carry around in a bag. I'm not worried about the smaller screen on the Clevo, as the netbook I'm typing this on has a screen just as small and it works just fine for me. Another concern of mine is reading about the performance loss while on battery, does the Clevo have this as well and is it very significant? The main game I'll be playing with it is World of Warcraft, which is surprisingly demanding nowadays.

Unfortunately, I am incapable of actually playing around with either of the laptops, so I'll have to purchase it in good faith.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Shawnnepc
02-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi there. I'm in the market for a new laptop and after a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to 2 possible options.

The things I was looking for were; €1200, decent build quality, decent looking (no horrible plastics or giant dragons), small (under 15"), reasonable battery life, as well as, of course, good performance. If anyone has any other suggestions, they are very welcome.

Either way, the laptops are the ASUS G46VW-W3072H and the Clevo W110ER. They cost the same, both come with an i7 3630QM and 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3. The Clevo comes with an 120GB SSD and an nVIDIA GT 650M while the ASUS has a 500GB 7200RPM SATA and an nVIDIA GTX 660M. The main difference for me is the screen size, the ASUS has, as you probably know, a 14" screen while the Clevo has an 11,6" screen. I will use the laptop for gaming on vacations as well as school and I'm a bit concerned about the size of the ASUS, if it's perhaps too large to conveniently carry around in a bag. I'm not worried about the smaller screen on the Clevo, as the netbook I'm typing this on has a screen just as small and it works just fine for me. Another concern of mine is reading about the performance loss while on battery, does the Clevo have this as well and is it very significant? The main game I'll be playing with it is World of Warcraft, which is surprisingly demanding nowadays.

Unfortunately, I am incapable of actually playing around with either of the laptops, so I'll have to purchase it in good faith.

Thank you in advance for any help.

The 660m is going to beat the 650m by quite a bit.

If your focus is on gaming I'd shoot for the G46.

Chino
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, versions.

Although the 120GB SSD is tempting, the laptop comes with the GT 650M which kind of hinders it when it comes to gaming. On the other hand, the GTX 660M is superior. If I was to choose between them, I'd pick the GTX 660M because you can always swap out the HDD for a SSD later but you can't really go about changing the GT 650M for a more powerful GPU later on. So I hope you know what I'm trying to get at. LOL

Personally, when it comes to size, the bigger the better. More room for cooling, more airflow. Fitting a bunch of high end components into a laptop is challenging enough. I couldn't imagine them doing any better trying to make the size even smaller or thinner.

While gaming laptops is a wonderful thing to have, one should never game using the battery. It wasn't made for that. The word here is transportability. It's easier to take a laptop along with you when you travel than dragging you CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse around.

versions
02-15-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm fine with the performance of the GT650M, there are quite a few videos on YouTube showcasing the netbook in question playing games, and accessing the actual interior of the Clevo is actually surprisingly easy.

Again, I am aware that the ASUS is probably the better choice here but I am concerned with the size and convenience of the laptop.

Chino
02-15-2013, 09:46 PM
One of the reason why the G46VW is thicker is because of it's powerful cooling solution. If you looked at the insides of a G46VW, there really is no comparison. But if size and convenience is a big concern for you then I guess you've made your choice. ;) Either way both laptops are good.

versions
02-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Yes, but what I need to know is if it is reasonable to put the ASUS into a messenger bag and carry it with me to school. If it is, then that seems like the clear choice, if not, then I'll buy the Clevo.

Nivaku
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM
I have the Asus G46 personally and the M11x, so I somewhat know what your talking about in terms of portability. The M11x is super-duper portable, but the G46 is also portable since it's a 14'' laptop. Putting the laptop in the messenger bag itself should be no problem. I'm carrying the G46 right now and it's reasonable light-weight so if your traveling it shouldnt be a problem. I'd recommend a laptop backpack rather then a messenger bag. The G46's power brick is huge though. The bag that I use is the Booq Mamba Shift and even though it's designed for 15'' laptops, there's ample room. So if you were to buy a rather small compact 15'' laptop backpack you can rest assure that your laptop and school books can fit nicely. If you were to get the G46 though, I highly recommend you change out the hard drive or customize it with a 7200RPM HD. They come standard with a 5400RPM which is terrible in terms of performance. If you can wait I'd hold out until there's a new G46 revision with better resolution (Not sure when or if they are doing a revision, just a guess). In terms of resolution's they are both the same 1366x768, but having a bigger screen should be easier IMO in terms of clarity. I had to choose between the M14x R2 vs the G46, I'm happy I picked the G46. Anyways bro there's my 10 cents my 2 cents is free

versions
02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
The G46 I'm looking at actually has a 7200RPM drive, so I don't have to worry about that. I'm also not overly concerned with the resolution, my home rig is a 40" TV that I run at 1680x1050 and I think that looks crisp (perhaps I'm blind :s), so this should be fine. I think I'll be picking the G46 then, seeing as it is actually portable.

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied, really helped out.

Vicodin
02-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Versions, I would recommend going with the G46 myself. I have an Asus G55vw and I take it to college with me to all of my classes because I am going for IT-Programming. This is portable enough for me and I have no issues toting it around at all. I can't imagine the G46 being that bad to take around with you. I have a nice Nike Air Max Backpack that sleeves my laptop perfectly with tons of other compartments for everything I need. Also looking at the image above, the G46 has a much nicer cooling system than that does.

Vicodin
02-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Yes, but what I need to know is if it is reasonable to put the ASUS into a messenger bag and carry it with me to school. If it is, then that seems like the clear choice, if not, then I'll buy the Clevo.

It would be trust me on this. Now, I wouldn't recommend getting a G75 to take to class with you... lol. I have a G55 that I take to school with me everyday.

Vicodin
02-15-2013, 11:59 PM

It would be trust me on this. Now, I wouldn't recommend getting a G75 to take to class with you, but I have a G55 that I take to school with me everyday. I use a backpack that fits it perfectly, as well as my power brick, mouse, mat, headphones, book or two, notebooks, etc. Its not all that big either.