PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX Keeps Crashing

Jetcraftmor
02-16-2013, 08:45 PM
My Asus G74SX-XT1 is constantly crashing. I do not know how to fix it.:confused::( Most of the time it fails to actually save the memory dump. These are the text from the crashes on the BSV app. I also took some pictures if that helps. Some help would be much appreciated. 17249172501725117252

Crash 1:
==================================================
Dump File : 110312-41995-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/3/2012 5:46:19 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x0000010d
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000005
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00001202
Parameter 4 : fffffa80`0e6ce520
Caused By Driver : Wdf01000.sys
Caused By Address : Wdf01000.sys+13b77
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\110312-41995-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 293,072

Crash 2:
Dump File : 090212-21668-01.dmp
Crash Time : 9/2/2012 4:06:27 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x0000010d
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000005
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00001202
Parameter 4 : fffffa80`0ee78db0
Caused By Driver : Wdf01000.sys
Caused By Address : Wdf01000.sys+13b77
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\090212-21668-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 293,072

Chino
02-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, Jetcraftmor.

Wdf01000.sys is the culprit for both your crashes. The file could have been infected or damaged which can cause BSODs when Windows is trying to access it. We'll try to repair it with the System File Checker Utility first. And if that fails we'll restore it with a fresh copy from our Windows CD.

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Run the follow command: sfc /scannow

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, Jetcraftmor.

Wdf01000.sys is the culprit for both your crashes. The file could have been infected or damaged which can cause BSODs when Windows is trying to access it. We'll try to repair it with the System File Checker Utility first. And if that fails we'll restore it with a fresh copy from our Windows CD.

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Run the follow command: sfc /scannow

Ok so i ran the prompt and I got you must be an administrator running a console session n order touse the sfc utilty

Zygomorphic
02-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Ok so i ran the prompt and I got you must be an administrator running a console session n order touse the sfc utilty

Yes. If it finds anything, let the system fix it.

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 02:51 AM
You must run the SFC /scannow command from an elevated Command Prompt (right-click on the Command Prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator").

You also experienced 3 other BSOD's for which a memory dump was not saved. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559211(v=vs.85).aspx states " The KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x0000007A. This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory." The 2nd Parameter of this BSOD can point to the cause. In your case it is " 0xC000000E, or STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE, indicating a hardware failure or an incorrect drive configuration."

1) Is the drive on which Windows is installed an HDD or SDD?

2) Did you eliminate the paging file from C:?

I recommend running CHKDSK (again from an elevated Command Prompt) as well as a drive diagnostic (such as HDTune for an HDD or SSDLife for an SSD) to check the health of your OS drive.

You also received a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check that has a value of 0x000000D1. In your case, the first parameter has the same value as the fourth parameter, and the third parameter (0x00000008) indicates an execute operation. Possible causes for this error with these Parameters include "The function call was made to a function in another driver, and that driver was unloaded." To me, this explanation would be consistent with a drive that cannot be accessed (and would also explain why a memory dump file was not saved).

You also received a CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION bug check that has a value of 0x000000F4. This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. Again, I suspect this may be related to a problem with drive access on your system. Alternatively, refreshing your Windows System Files as suggested by @Chino may also be indicated.

Your case reminds me of http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-happening...&country=&status=. You also get the " PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP FAILED WITH STATUS 0X0000010." error reported for some of your BSOD's, even though the 2 STOP 0x10d's indicate your laptop is correctly configured to capture MiniDumps. http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/135306-bsod-stop-0x000000f4.html came up in the search for this error. I found it interesting in that a 0xF4 BSOD was also reported and no dump file was saved even though the system was configured to do so.

Ultimately, the user resolved all his issues with a low level format of his HDD, even though no errors were being reported by CHKDSK. You may need to low level format your HDD, update the firmware of your SSD, or replace your OS drive.

I also recommend testing if your memory is sound by running memtest86+ for at least 3 passes.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 06:17 AM
You must run the SFC /scannow command from an elevated Command Prompt (right-click on the Command Prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator").

You also experienced 3 other BSOD's for which a memory dump was not saved. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559211(v=vs.85).aspx states " The KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x0000007A. This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory." The 2nd Parameter of this BSOD can point to the cause. In your case it is " 0xC000000E, or STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE, indicating a hardware failure or an incorrect drive configuration."

1) Is the drive on which Windows is installed an HDD or SDD?

2) Did you eliminate the paging file from C:?

I recommend running CHKDSK (again from an elevated Command Prompt) as well as a drive diagnostic (such as HDTune for an HDD or SSDLife for an SSD) to check the health of your OS drive.

You also received a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check that has a value of 0x000000D1. In your case, the first parameter has the same value as the fourth parameter, and the third parameter (0x00000008) indicates an execute operation. Possible causes for this error with these Parameters include "The function call was made to a function in another driver, and that driver was unloaded." To me, this explanation would be consistent with a drive that cannot be accessed (and would also explain why a memory dump file was not saved).

You also received a CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION bug check that has a value of 0x000000F4. This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. Again, I suspect this may be related to a problem with drive access on your system. Alternatively, refreshing your Windows System Files as suggested by @Chino may also be indicated.

Your case reminds me of http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-happening...&country=&status=. You also get the " PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP FAILED WITH STATUS 0X0000010." error reported for some of your BSOD's, even though the 2 STOP 0x10d's indicate your laptop is correctly configured to capture MiniDumps. http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/135306-bsod-stop-0x000000f4.html came up in the search for this error. I found it interesting in that a 0xF4 BSOD was also reported and no dump file was saved even though the system was configured to do so.

Ultimately, the user resolved all his issues with a low level format of his HDD, even though no errors were being reported by CHKDSK. You may need to low level format your HDD, update the firmware of your SSD, or replace your OS drive.

I also recommend testing if your memory is sound by running memtest86+ for at least 3 passes.

My laptop keeps crashing before the hdtune can complete the scan. Its happened about 5x now.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Yes. If it finds anything, let the system fix it.

I ran the sfc scan and it said files were corrupt. I can access the log for it in some CBS file. I tried getting into the log but its telling me access denied every time I click on it and then a blank notepad comes up

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 06:33 AM
My laptop keeps crashing before the hdtune can complete the scan. Its happened about 5x now.

Well, that's not a good sign. I think this indicates all is not well with your OS drive.

Since SFC is reporting corrupt files, it may be a good idea to run CHKDSK C: /F /R to correct any other errors in your file system. I recommend backing up any important files on that drive as soon as possible.

The 0xD1 BSOD image you posted indicates the Motion In Joy driver,
mijxfilt.sys. There are reports of this driver causing BSOD's on other systems (see http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/161956-bsod-crash-xbox-controller.html). I recommend you follow the steps of the OP in that thread to remove it from your system.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Well, that's not a good sign. I think this indicates all is not well with your OS drive.

Since SFC is reporting corrupt files, it may be a good idea to run CHKDSK C: /F /R to correct any other errors in your file system. I recommend backing up any important files on that drive as soon as possible.

The 0xD1 BSOD image you posted indicates the Motion In Joy driver,
mijxfilt.sys. There are reports of this driver causing BSOD's on other systems (see http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/161956-bsod-crash-xbox-controller.html). I recommend you follow the steps of the OP in that thread to remove it from your system.

how do i do the specific chkdisk. Usually when i run it it fails

avavioks
02-17-2013, 07:12 AM
good info to me.also recommend testing if your memory is sound by running memtest86+ for at least 3 passes.http://www.maxin.us/imax/images/7.gif

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 07:20 AM
how do i do the specific chkdisk. Usually when i run it it fails

The CHKDSK C: /F /R command is run from an elevated Command Prompt, just like the SFC /scannow command. When you execute it properly, you'll be instructed that it will run on the next startup of your laptop.

Again, I strongly recommend you backup any important files from the drive first, just in case it fails completely.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 07:31 AM
The CHKDSK C: /F /R command is run from an elevated Command Prompt, just like the SFC /scannow command. When you execute it properly, you'll be instructed that it will run on the next startup of your laptop.

Again, I strongly recommend you backup any important files from the drive first, just in case it fails completely.
OK i just backed up my important documents lets see what happens.. I put memtest86+ on a usb. How exactly do i use that?

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 07:59 AM
I ran the disk check and I got an error. This has been going on for a while now. IT said it was caused becuase of newly installed hardware. I gave me this error code: (766f6c756d652e63 3f1)

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
@fostert provides a link in his post, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-happening...&p=221508&viewfull=1#post221508, that may help you to run memtest86+ off a USB flash drive. It's good to check your memory, but the evidence appears to be piling up that HDD hardware problems are the most likely cause of your BSOD's. I think running CHKDSK C: /F /R (or determining if it WILL run) will be more productive to move your case forward.

EDIT: You beat me to it.... For your CHKDSK error code, see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/a27a8e67-bdb5-4499-948d-072c0d8930c4.

Who is the manufacturer of your HDD? It may be worthwhile to see if their HDD diagnostic utility can run successfully. If it cannot, I'd see if they have a low level format utility and see if that completes successfully. If it cannot, replace the HDD or RMA to ASUS to have them replace it if you're still under Warranty.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
@fostert provides a link in his post, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-happening...&p=221508&viewfull=1#post221508, that may help you to run memtest86+ off a USB flash drive. It's good to check your memory, but the evidence appears to be piling up that HDD hardware problems are the most likely cause of your BSOD's. I think running CHKDSK C: /F /R (or determining if it WILL run) will be more productive to move your case forward.

EDIT: You beat me to it.... For your CHKDSK error code, see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/a27a8e67-bdb5-4499-948d-072c0d8930c4.

Who is the manufacturer of your HDD? It may be worthwhile to see if their HDD diagnostic utility can run successfully. If it cannot, I'd see if they have a low level format utility and see if that completes successfully. If it cannot, replace the HDD or RMA to ASUS to have them replace it if you're still under Warranty.

How do I find out my HDD manufacturer?

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 08:31 AM
You can determine that from Device Manager by right-clicking on your Disk device and choosing "Properties" from the popup menu.

You can also see if CHKDSK will run from Windows Safe Mode (press F8 at the ASUS Splash Screen). It's possible your Antivirus software may be causing the error you receive. Another possibility is to run it from the Windows 7 installation disk.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 08:37 AM
You can determine that from Device Manager by right-clicking on your Disk device and choosing "Properties" from the popup menu.

You can also see if CHKDSK will run from Windows Safe Mode (press F8 at the ASUS Splash Screen). It's possible your Antivirus software may be causing the error you receive. Another possibility is to run it from the Windows 7 installation disk.

I've tried enetering safe mode many times. It has never worked for me. It usually stops at classpnp.sys when loading drivers before going into safe mode.

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/566cdd43-ce91-4e64-93e0-8d09d8fc1ea0 offers a number of suggestions for Safe Mode failing at classpnp.sys. If you try it now and it STILL fails, it could be symptomatic of a defective HDD since you've already run SFC.

I'd also give entering the BIOS and choosing to "Load Optimized Defaults", then Save & Exit a try.

Ultimately, I believe the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility will also fail. But I want to be thorough in confirming your drive is defective. If you'd rather skip ahead and get running without BSOD's again, I'd attempt to wipe the drive of its existing partitions and reinstall Windows 7. If that fails, get a new HDD and get up and running. If you are able to eventually revive your current drive with a low level format, you can put it in the other drive bay and have some extra storage.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 05:20 PM
I cant find out my hdd manufacturer without removing it from its current bay and look ing at it. Device manager wasnt any help. What type of low level format would you recommend?

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Device Manager will display the model# of your HDD. What is it? It will allow us to determine the manufacturer.

As you mentioned, you can always easily open the back of your G74SX, pop out the HDD and find the manufacturer on the label.

You'll need to obtain the low level format utility from the drive manufacturer, so we better cross that bridge first.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Device Manager will display the model# of your HDD. What is it? As you mentioned, you can always easily open the back of your G74SX, pop out the HDD and find the manufacturer on the label.

You'll need to obtain the low level format utility from the drive manufacturer, so we better cross that bridge first.

THe only thing that comes up on device manager is this: ST9500423AS

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 06:00 PM
That's a Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200 RPM SATA drive, available at Amazon for $65. You could upgrade to a 750GB for about $15 more.

It looks like SeaTools is the diagnostic utility you want to run (see http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/). I recommend you run the Long Test from the bootable SeaTools for DOS to examine every sector. It will probably take about 4 hours to run. It checks the HDD in 10% increments, so if it hasn't completed 10% in an hour or so, it may indicate failure.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/203931en indicates the low level format utility is just to fill the HDD with zeros, but it will also scan for bad sectors like we attempted to do with CHKDSK C: /F /R.

Just a Warning - ALL data will be wiped from the HDD in the low level format operation.

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 06:42 PM
That's a Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200 RPM SATA drive, available at Amazon for $65. You could upgrade to a 750GB for about $15 more.

It looks like SeaTools is the diagnostic utility you want to run (see http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/). I recommend you run the Long Test from the bootable SeaTools for DOS to examine every sector. It will probably take about 4 hours to run. It checks the HDD in 10% increments, so if it hasn't completed 10% in an hour or so, it may indicate failure.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/203931en indicates the low level format utility is just to fill the HDD with zeros, but it will also scan for bad sectors like we attempted to do with CHKDSK C: /F /R.

Just a Warning - ALL data will be wiped from the HDD in the low level format operation.

It failed about 5 minutes into the scan. Im contemplating formatting hte drive now..

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Did SeaTools fail to run OR did it report the HDD failed after 5 minutes?

If you want to take diagnostics further, you could open the laptop, remove the HDD and install it in the other drive bay. This would eliminate the possibility of a bad SATA connector. You could also run those 3 passes of memtest86+. Me? I'd be finishing up my order for a new HDD at this point....

Of course, if you're still under Warranty, you could RMA the laptop, but I'd take the expense in this case just to avoid the time lost by an RMA, not to mention the possibility of being 'serviced'...

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Did SeaTools fail to run OR did it report the HDD failed after 5 minutes?

If you want to take diagnostics further, you could open the laptop, remove the HDD and install it in the other drive bay. This would eliminate the possibility of a bad SATA connector. You could also run those 3 passes of memtest86+. Me? I'd be finishing up my order for a new HDD at this point....

Of course, if you're still under Warranty, you could RMA the laptop, but I'd take the expense in this case just to avoid the time lost by an RMA, not to mention the possibility of being 'serviced'...

Its time for an upgrade anyways.... Im thinking of moving up to a terabyte any suggestions on which one I should get?

dstrakele
02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
The 1TB HDD's I know would fit in the drive bay are 5400 RPM as opposed to 7200 RPM. I'm uncertain how much of a performance hit you'd take with that. Maybe some other folks with more knowledge of available HDD choices could weigh in here...

If I were in your situation, I'd probably choose an Intel or Samsung. 256GB SSD and a Western Digital 1TB 5400 RPM HDD or a 750GB 7200 RPM HDD. However, I don't know your budget or where you stand on performance vs. capacity.

Zygomorphic
02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
The 1TB HDD's I know would fit in the drive bay are 5400 RPM as opposed to 7200 RPM. I'm uncertain how much of a performance hit you'd take with that. Maybe some other folks with more knowledge of available HDD choices could weigh in here...

If I were in your situation, I'd probably choose an Intel or Samsung. 256GB SSD and a Western Digital 1TB 5400 RPM HDD or a 750GB 7200 RPM HDD. However, I don't know your budget or where you stand on performance vs. capacity.

Like me! lol :p I just found out last night that Hitachi has a 1 TB 7200 RPM drive available. They are now available on newegg, and it is a 9.5 mm drive too! :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875

Someone is bound to ran on my parade and tell me it is too good to be true. :D

Jetcraftmor
02-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Like me! lol :p I just found out last night that Hitachi has a 1 TB 7200 RPM drive available. They are now available on newegg, and it is a 9.5 mm drive too! :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875

Someone is bound to ran on my parade and tell me it is too good to be true. :D

Please let me know on this. My budget right now is less than about $180. I know its low for what Im looking for but I still need some type of upgrade. I would do with a 750gb drive and a decent sized ssd if the performance is still good. anyone have any suggestions?

dstrakele
02-18-2013, 12:41 AM
For less than $180, I would forget about an SSD /HDD combo at this time. You could easily purchase the brand new (read Long Term Reliability unknown) Hitachi 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA II HDD or even the Hitachi 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA III HDD (although one reviewer said Amazon was advertising the higher performance SATA III, but actually selling the SATA II HDD at the higher price - you'l have to work that out).

You could also get 2 Western Digital 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA II HDD's. This is a known reliable drive. OR just buy one now, saving $100 of your budget for a future SSD purchase.

You could run your laptop happily on either of these HDD's until you could afford a reasonably-sized SSD. I don't know how fast you accumulate discretionary income, but you may be wanting to put it into a faster computer/tablet /smartphone rather than an SSD at that time.

Zygomorphic
02-18-2013, 02:36 AM
Please let me know on this. My budget right now is less than about $180. I know its low for what Im looking for but I still need some type of upgrade. I would do with a 750gb drive and a decent sized ssd if the performance is still good. anyone have any suggestions?
I would advise a nice 750 GB Hybrid drive. They aren't much more than other 750 GB drives, and the boot times are better. Once you get an SSD, that drive could become your data drive. The drive is a Seagate Momentus XT. I have one and it is really good. :)