PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55vw Hard Drive Upgrade Question

Vicodin
02-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Hello,
I just wanted to verify the differences in the Hard Drive Port, Disk Drive Port, and the mSata that is hidden deep inside the laptop. I know the Hard Drive was Sata 3, but what does the disk drive plug in to? Is mSata faster than Sata 3?

Zygomorphic
02-17-2013, 02:41 AM
mSata is likely SATA III in your laptop. The Optical Disc Drive (DVD drive) is most likely SATA II, since that is faster than any optical disc. mSata is just a modified connector, but it is the same speed. It takes special small SSDs, which you can find in most computer stores (and definitely online).

Vicodin
02-17-2013, 05:35 AM
Is there room inside this thing near the mSata slot to put one? Or does one need a cable and to place it elsewhere.

Zygomorphic
02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Is there room inside this thing near the mSata slot to put one? Or does one need a cable and to place it elsewhere.

There is room from what I understand. Some models of the G55 come with mSata cards installed by the reseller or ASUS. Any size should fit. The normal size that I am (albeit slightly) familiar with is about the size of a credit card.

Vicodin
02-17-2013, 08:08 PM
I still cant find out anywhere if the Disk Drive plugs in to SATA, SATA 2, or SATA 3. I hear of people replacing the Disk Drive with a SSD, but if it is just SATA or SATA 2 why don't they put the SSD in the hard drive bay being it is SATA 3 and the hard drive in the Disk Drive spot?

rewben
02-17-2013, 09:07 PM
hi @Vicodin, from what i've learned, the hdd bay port and msata port are sata 3; the port for dvdrom is a sata 2.

you're correct, actually putting ssd in the msata and hdd bay makes more sense, and the hdd caddy should house the sata 2 hdd. as for me, i happened to have 2 ssds, and an empty usb 3.0 external enclosure. so i just put one ssd in the hdd bay (sata 3; OS drive) and then another one is in the hdd caddy replacing the dvdrom (sata 2; games, apps and some data). my stock drive is in the external enclosure, data only.

Vicodin
02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
hi @Vicodin, from what i've learned, the hdd bay port and msata port are sata 3; the port for dvdrom is a sata 2.

you're correct, actually putting ssd in the msata and hdd bay makes more sense, and the hdd caddy should house the sata 2 hdd. as for me, i happened to have 2 ssds, and an empty usb 3.0 external enclosure. so i just put one ssd in the hdd bay (sata 3; OS drive) and then another one is in the hdd caddy replacing the dvdrom (sata 2; games, apps and some data). my stock drive is in the external enclosure, data only.

Good thinking. Can I ask you a noob question? Why the mSata SSD? What is a cache drive? LOL at my noobness.

rewben
02-18-2013, 04:26 AM
msata is just an alternative form factor (which is lighter and smaller).

a cache drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Response_Technology) makes use of a small-sized ssd to boost the performance of a mechanical drive. this is useful when the price/gb of ssd is expensive.

as the price/gb for ssd is going down significantly, i think there is no need to implement this in a laptop like g-series.

raxstime
02-18-2013, 05:38 AM
I watched the youtube video dissembly of the G55, convincing me to get a reseller to install mSata saving me the effort.

In a related question, I want the reseller to install two 8GB RAM only for a total of 16GB system memory on the two inside (hard to access) RAM slots. If I stop spending with this configuration, can the G55 run with only two 8GB RAM sticks on the inside - same under-side of the motherboard as the mSata?

If so, I could add 2 more 8GB RAM sticks later in the user accessible area, and easily upgrade the hard drive on my own.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rewben
02-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I watched the youtube video dissembly of the G55, convincing me to get a reseller to install mSata saving me the effort.

In a related question, I want the reseller to install two 8GB RAM only for a total of 16GB system memory on the two inside (hard to access) RAM slots. If I stop spending with this configuration, can the G55 run with only two 8GB RAM sticks on the inside - same under-side of the motherboard as the mSata?

If so, I could add 2 more 8GB RAM sticks later in the user accessible area, and easily upgrade the hard drive on my own.

Thanks for any suggestions.

for ram upgrade: yes, you can do that. if you're planning for a full swap, you can just put 2x8gb of known compatible ram in the hidden slot, and then add another 2x8gb yourself at later time.