PDA

View Full Version : G55 HDD clicking sound

ggBanks
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
I have a weird sound coming from my HDD, and I wonder why?
My set-up is: SSD in the SATA3 (original) slot of the computer, and the original SSH I put in a caddy and substituted my ODD with it. Now I have never heard that sound before, but I don't think its good.
Should I be worried or not?

Chino
02-17-2013, 06:00 PM
It depends on how loud the click is. When the HDD is reading or writing data, it makes a low, soft click. But if it's clocking louder than normal like a "knocking" kind of click, then you should worry. I know it's a little hard to explain and understand unless you hear the sounds in real life. Maybe look up some videos on Youtube.

If you're worried about your data, check the HDD's health status. For that task you can use programs like CrystalDiskInfo, HD Tune or Hard Disk Life (HDDlife).

Pitcher@asus
02-18-2013, 03:34 AM
yep, you will explain more about your sound, occur in read/write or laptop inside.

ggBanks
02-18-2013, 06:35 AM
CrystalDiskInfo shows everything's ok, and the sound is not like knocking, but it definitely sounds much louder than normal. I can hear it working as usual and the clicks are much louder, but it sounds more like playing with a paper edge against your fingertip kind of thing.

Dreamonic
02-18-2013, 07:01 AM
Hmm,

I know diagnosing audible problems online can vary on everyone's speakers, so the results for answers can be mixed, but maybe you could record what it is you are hearing for us.

If it concerns you, it might make you feel better if we hear it also.

Just a suggestion.

srmojuze
02-19-2013, 03:01 AM
Yup... With mechanical spinning hard disks there is the "whirring click". Then there is the "Click of Death" ~ which used to be quite common across all laptops say 5-10 years ago but which seems to have improved.

Indeed, check YouTube to hear comparison sounds of hard disks.

Also, sounds like you have moved some parts around so it could be related to that. Sometimes vibration of the mechanical spinning hard disk can cause noises.

My 2 cents...