PDA

View Full Version : analog 5.1 outputs completely screwed up

soerenmoeren
02-17-2013, 05:51 PM
first i thought it was my 5.1 set - but connecting the headphone jack to a proper receiver (the one i use to connect to via spdif too) output of the headphone jack mixes both channels. the annoying left front talking right front lady keeps shouting from both speakers the same. rear channels would always be the same i think both channels talk on right back surround to me and the front channels seem to have a mixup with the centre, subwoofer channels.

this started happening after upgrading to the beta driver/firmware posted here. i did that because dolby live would not work properly with the "standard non beta drivers" (although they are neither a finished product)

this soundcard is really getting annoying and i will most probably return it this week and trade in for a creative alternative. all these years i had no problems with audigy cards.

the Phoebus is a no go in software quality. looks like the chinese chaps coding for it jumped from some building like the poor *******s at foxconn and left us rotting with this piece of c#!$%p

AVtemp
02-18-2013, 12:56 PM
This driver is a peace of crap!
Look what i`ve got
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGw-Fn8ejEA

soerenmoeren
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
talked to the mailorder store. package has already been picked up for a return.

WTC
02-19-2013, 02:26 AM
This driver is a peace of crap!
Look what i`ve got
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGw-Fn8ejEA

Watched your video clip. I'm pretty sure I can hear your footsteps and gunshot sound in left channel.

AVtemp
02-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Sure you can.Now disable DTS,Dolby,Xear on your phoebus and try again.:D
Try headphones.
So you think that everything is fine?

WTC
02-19-2013, 09:54 AM
What I meant is you recorded that clip with the settings you've described, right? I can hear footsteps and gunshot in left channel, so I guess somehow those sound sources are panned to the right or something, but they're not entirely disappeared from left channel.

Anyway, I believe there're issues with Phoebus and yes ASUS needs to work on it...

AVtemp
02-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah,you may be right.
First of all i thought that the problem is with the front channel.
But i use 2.0 headphones,and there is only 2 channels there :-)
Than i thought that problem is with Virtualisation,but all that stuff was OFF.
I double checked everything in game and driver and still no luck.

To workaround i have to Alt+Tab from game and change sample rate settings back and forth.
I have to do this every time!

dan.ivan
02-20-2013, 08:28 AM
I have the same issue when I listing to music (using winamp) and I'm not sure if it happens when I'm watching movies to, but to be sure I'm changing sample rate during the movie/music to come back to normal (stereo for music and native surround for movies without mixing) every time. In my case, this issue disappear if I turn of dolby (where option for virtualization is uncheck) but I loose the EQ and without it everything sounds much more worse. I hope Asus support is still thinking about us. If they'll resolve all issues and release a stable driver for this product it will be a top one without questioning;

WTC
02-22-2013, 01:23 AM
I've googled "battlefield sound right side" and found that this issue happened to other audio devices also. Sounds like this might not be Phoebus problem alone...

AVtemp
02-22-2013, 08:05 AM
I had no any problems with
1.Build in sound Realtek
2.Audigy4
3.Emu 0404 USB
in this game with the same PC

WTC
02-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Does this happen every time you play the game? Does it happen right from the beginning or it happens suddenly in the middle of game play?

AVtemp
02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
It happen every time when i start the Battlefield bad company2 (.exe)
After game is started, i have to change sample rate back and force in Phoebus` driver to get that bug fixed!
As i do that no problems till next time i start this game.
I`ve reported to Asus couple of month ago.
And footsteps\gunshot that you heard in my video from left channel was an echo of footsteps\gunshot.
There was peoples on this forum who experienced the same bug,but in Battlefield 3,and other weird soundbugs in other games.
I use Win7 x64 + last updates.

WTC
02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
So this happens every time the game starts?

If you have time you may try the following:
1) Right click the Phoebus icon on system tray and click "Exit".
2) Right click the speaker icon on the system tray, double click the headphone icon (of Phoebus), and open the "Effects" page. Check the box "Disable all effects".
3) Close the sound property window, and open it again and make sure the "Disable all effects" box is still checked. (Phoebus UI program will periodically uncheck that box, so step 1 is needed)
4) Start the game and see if the problem still happen.

These steps will help clarify if the problem is in user-mode component or in kernel-mode driver of Phoebus.

AVtemp
02-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Phoebus ALWAYS uncheck the box "Disable all effects".
No matter you do.
And that is another bug.

WTC
02-22-2013, 04:32 PM
As far as I know, it's not a bug. Phoebus UI is designed to uncheck the "Disable all effects" box periodically, so that if a user checked that box and later forgot about it, he/she will not feel strange about why all effects are not working.

Exit Phoebus UI from system tray will prevent that mechanism.

AVtemp
02-22-2013, 06:03 PM
"Phoebus UI is designed to uncheck the "Disable all effects" box periodically" not just periodically,but everytime when you leave Windows Sound settings window.
Sorry,but i don`t understand this "genious " plan.
Do i have to exit Phoebus UI to Disable all Virtualisation????

AVtemp
02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Does it somehow related to that volume slider is locked in UI (page 24, item 9,10 in manual)?
And if you will refer to manual,EQ is missing in UI (page 41).
Also there is no more 7.1 Virtual Speaker shifter (page 43).

WTC
02-23-2013, 01:00 AM
"Phoebus UI is designed to uncheck the "Disable all effects" box periodically" not just periodically,but everytime when you leave Windows Sound settings window.
Sorry,but i don`t understand this "genious " plan.
Do i have to exit Phoebus UI to Disable all Virtualisation????

Well, I don't like this design either. It's more weird to me that a check box is there but you're not being able to use it.
As long as Phoebus UI is not running in background, you should be able to keep "Disable all effects" box checked. Don't forget to hit [Apply] button before closing the sound properties window.
The "Disable all effects" check box is Windows's way to make sure audio streams are not processed by user-mode driver component, and in Phoebus case you'll need to exit Phoebus UI to keep the box checked.

WTC
02-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Does it somehow related to that volume slider is locked in UI (page 24, item 9,10 in manual)?
And if you will refer to manual,EQ is missing in UI (page 41).
Also there is no more 7.1 Virtual Speaker shifter (page 43).

EQ and 7.1 Virtual Speaker is not available in Win7. You may see this in the description in Page 26.
When do you see the volume slider on the top right corner being locked?

AVtemp
02-23-2013, 06:51 AM
I dont know why,but my UI volume slider is locked.
It was that way since the begining,and reinstallation of beta driver changes nothing.
Still i can change volume by remote control box or directly by windows slider.
But this actions is not visualised by Phoebus UI.

As for EQ and 7.1 Virtual speaker:
What if i want to correct EQ with DTS or XEAR enabled?
Usually EQ is the last sound filter before sound goes to user ( what if i want to fine tune my headphones ).
And if XEAR is enabled, there is no more Loudness leveling.
I dont mind to use 7.1 Virtual speaker in Win7 as i can change sound stage the way i want it to be.
And Xear Surround has no flaxibility at all,no settings exept room change?
I want to hear my footsteps like i am HERE,and not like someone else is running far away ahead.

Also about profile creation:instead of manually pick one every time by user,it will be better to do it automatically by rules for applications,
as nvidia did in their driver.
I dont want to use Xear with music,why do i have to change profiles like 10 times per day for every single application?
I want to add rules for applications for some list and Phoebus UI can change it by itself automatically.

WTC
02-23-2013, 07:59 AM
I guess that UI volume slider problem is a software bug of Phoebus UI x64 version. The slider will come back if you enable the SPDIF-Out device.

As to your point of EQ and 7.1 Virtual Speaker, well, I have no idea for that. I guess it's ASUS's design and maybe some compromise is needed in order to integrate Dolby PCEEv4...

kkn
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
enny one tested it on a surround setup?? ( home cinnema and not smal speaker setup ( and out on optics and not mini jacks ) )