PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Partition Deleted Please Help

Waffle_Crisp
02-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Can someone with the G75VW (BBK-5)(Windows 7) make a clone of their recovery partition and send it to me? I lost mine downgrading from Windows 8.

Thank You in advance!!!! ;);););)

Zygomorphic
02-18-2013, 02:44 AM
You don't need it! :) Just download the Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft and punch in the product key on the bottom of the laptop. The drivers can be downloaded from ASUS, that way you get a nice pristine system without all the clutter that ASUS adds. Welcome to the forums! :)

Dorsidhion
02-18-2013, 03:30 AM
With Windows 8 I believe you dont need to enter the key and they arnt on bottom of the system. Its integrated into BIOS and should automatically activate. Did for me atleast. So just need the ISO and you are all set.

rewben
02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
@Waffle_Crisp, as your machine is preloaded with w7, you should be able to find your key at the bottom of your laptop.

since you have deleted your recovery partition, don't miss it. just continue with clean install route. for a g75vw with preloaded w7, the clean install tends to help recover a lot of space, and gets rid of bloatware. in return you have a smaller and faster system.

Waffle_Crisp
02-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I actually used imageX in windowsPE mode along with bccedit to repair the boot file. I have a copy on the system image on another HDD, but I guess that's really good enough. There is no reason to have an extra 25gb partition on my SSD. I just wanted to have live update on my computer and for some reason it won't install without the original system image. It says this program is only for Asus notebooks.

rewben
02-18-2013, 01:45 PM
you're right; there is no need for that for people who are experienced :)

install atk package first before installing live update.

Zygomorphic
02-19-2013, 01:09 AM
you're right; there is no need for that for people who are experienced :)

install atk package first before installing live update.

Live update is OK, I'm not a big fan of it, but to each his own, I suppose. It can't do any harm, and it will make it easier to track down all the drivers.

rewben
02-19-2013, 01:34 AM
@zyg, i assumed he would be installing and then further configure it so that the live update reports new files instead of performing updates automatically hehe..

Waffle_Crisp
02-19-2013, 02:57 AM
Haha not just live update, but I like the pop ups for the various function keys and the republic of gamers button. I installed the ATK package first though its all good. I have a copy of eDrivers on a separate HDD as well. Im not gonna lie its great to have an extra 25 gigs on my SSD free with that partition gone. Good riddance!

rewben
02-19-2013, 03:02 AM
if you have abundant amount of ram (16gb or more), you can disable or adjust pagefile to free up a good amount of space, too. another one is the hibernate file. for w7 i think it's fine to disable the hibernate, too. for w8, if you wanna do a cold boot under 10 secs, keep it enabled.

tkolarik
02-19-2013, 05:14 AM
Do we even need the page file anymore with 16 GB RAM? The only thing is would be used for on my system is to write a BSOD dump.

Zygomorphic
02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Do we even need the page file anymore with 16 GB RAM? The only thing is would be used for on my system is to write a BSOD dump.
Not really. The memory dumps aren't written to the page-file. A full dump isn't usually written either.

drn159
12-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Really? So I just need to download the windows 8 iso, select to reformat the whole thing, and I'm good to go?

Btw my rig is actually not an ROG, but still an ASUS and equipped with similar gears. Thanks before! This thread really helps me out

Zygomorphic
12-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Really? So I just need to download the windows 8 iso, select to reformat the whole thing, and I'm good to go?

Btw my rig is actually not an ROG, but still an ASUS and equipped with similar gears. Thanks before! This thread really helps me out
Welcome to the forums, and the answer is yes! :)

tamparonglingver
01-30-2014, 12:47 AM
good am sir, i just want to ask how can i install windows 8 or windows 8.1 on my system if i formatted all my drives including the recovery drive where my os backup reside? even if i used a new windows 8 i purchased still it doesn't work, i just recently found out that the key is on the firmware attached, please help me sir i beg... thanks and more power. just need a guide or instructions.

best,
ver

Clintlgm
01-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Well if your installing the same version 8 Core, you shouldn't need to do anything except to make a UEFI Boot Install media or just run the DVD you you got. If it a different version such as 8.1 you need to use a Generic Key to install then activation will occur when you go online. You can use this program (http://www.mediafire.com/download/as21l1ml16iu21k/Windows+Product+Key+Viewer+1.4.7d.zip) to extract your Key.
Also you may need to go into your BIOS and turn off secure boot and enable CSM
When you first try to boot up your install media spam the ESC Key that will bring up a boot menu be sure to select your media in UEFI mode, ie
UEFI DVD or UEFI USB

Zygomorphic
01-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it should pick up the installation key that is embedded in the UEFI. Mae sure that you set your system to boot in EFU mode.