PDA

View Full Version : G75V significantly slower.

JCroucher
02-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Hello,

I've had my ASUS G75V since mid-august which I had primarily purchased for gaming. Up until a few weeks ago, the computer was working up to expectations and I was very much satisfied with my purchase. The quality of the laptops performance dropped dramatically for no apparent reason. Virus and spyware scans have come up clean, no new programs have been downloaded leading up to it's downfall and not much memory is taken up. The core temperature still shows up as normal.

The main issue is gaming performance. Before this issue it would run Guild Wars 2 at a smooth 70-150 FPS while at maxed settings. Currently it will run GW2 at 10-45 FPS while at the lowest settings possible. I have the same issues with other games. Internet browsing is also slower yet video steaming and download speed hasn't changed.

Are there any similar experiences with this series of laptops that anyone knows of or how I can go about beginning to resolve this issue?

rewben
02-19-2013, 01:41 AM
it's very likely that automatic background things (e.g. asus live update, windows updates) could be the causes of this. check the windows event logs for clues.

dstrakele
02-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the performance problems occurred. You can be aggressive in your choice of Restore Point, since you can easily UNDO a System Restore.

If you regain the performance you once had, be very diligent concerning what Windows Updates, Antivirus updates, and automatic driver updates are installed to your system.

Pitcher@asus
02-19-2013, 03:30 AM
you can uninstall app what don't you need.

TokoDude
02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
No no Maybe you are running your laptop on Power4gearsaving

I had this 1 time when i was gaming i had really big laggs and i saw it was on power4gearsaving you need to put it on high performence.

So make sure ur battery is good pluged in and you are running on high performance, check maybe for updates if u have still these problems.

or maybe check for issues on your pc chkdsk ur pc
defrag ur HDD

rewben
02-19-2013, 04:25 PM
@TokoDude, good point :) i was assuming the OP run on high performance while he gamed.

User_n
02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
when was the last time you cleaned it - actually??? might be overheating due to excessive dusting.... just a thought!!

JCroucher
02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
when was the last time you cleaned it - actually??? might be overheating due to excessive dusting.... just a thought!!

I actually haven't

JCroucher
02-19-2013, 05:08 PM
I toggled the Power4Gear and it actually did increase the performance. Though no it's still where near where it was.

Bohound
02-20-2013, 01:51 AM
i have a similar problem but diferent since my performance varies sudendly, i can be playing at 60 fps in world of tanks then sudendly it drops to 10 or 5, then again 60 for some seconds then again drops and so on, i just notice this is when using only the battery i dont know if someone has the same issues, also i notice when out of the game(but the game still fntioniong, the screens like flashes, the slow down, normal again, flashes and slow down again and it only get to normal when connected to a power suply, it only happens when using battery only, i hope someone can help me, and also maybe someone else has the same problem, in my g75v takes ages to wake up from hybernation donno wtf is going on, and sometimes it doesnt ven wake up from hibernation at all, maybe this is a solved and knoe problem but since im already here better ask

ZeroBarrier
02-20-2013, 02:55 AM
i have a similar problem but diferent since my performance varies sudendly, i can be playing at 60 fps in world of tanks then sudendly it drops to 10 or 5, then again 60 for some seconds then again drops and so on, i just notice this is when using only the battery i dont know if someone has the same issues, also i notice when out of the game(but the game still fntioniong, the screens like flashes, the slow down, normal again, flashes and slow down again and it only get to normal when connected to a power suply, it only happens when using battery only, i hope someone can help me, and also maybe someone else has the same problem, in my g75v takes ages to wake up from hybernation donno wtf is going on, and sometimes it doesnt ven wake up from hibernation at all, maybe this is a solved and knoe problem but since im already here better ask

/facepalm

Been beaten to death already. Can not game on battery as the battery can not provide constant power to the GPU.

TokoDude
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Well if you start the game and you have the hole time 60 fps
and next time you start the game and you have low fps then yes there is something wrong.

if it's ALWAYS dropping FPS IN GAME it could be the graphic effects that give you the lagg as sample 5 tanks is shooting at you that give a large graphic effect that can draw your fps down.

When i play Battlefield 3 and everyone is throwing grenades then my fps goes to 50--->25 because the Physx effects and other effects such as smoke...

So maybe it's your grapich card that cant handle so much effects

Here is a sample what Physx is and you see it gives more effects then without it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU

zeromod
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Well if you start the game and you have the hole time 60 fps
and next time you start the game and you have low fps then yes there is something wrong.

if it's ALWAYS dropping FPS IN GAME it could be the graphic effects that give you the lagg as sample 5 tanks is shooting at you that give a large graphic effect that can draw your fps down.

When i play Battlefield 3 and everyone is throwing grenades then my fps goes to 50--->25 because the Physx effects and other effects such as smoke...

So maybe it's your grapich card that cant handle so much effects

Here is a sample what Physx is and you see it gives more effects then without it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU

No, it's not a problem. If you are on battery power, it's not enough to maintain performance on demanding games. You can play a browser game sure, but BF3? not a chance. Now, if you are on AC power it's a different situation. Imagine trying to play on a desktop with an underpowered PSU and crappy 12+ Rails. It's similar in effect.