PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Asus G74Sx power

moosecow
02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm have an issue with my Asus G74Sx switching power from AC mode to battery mode. It doesn't happen 100% of the time it's plugged in, but a good amount. The battery isn't hot and the adapter brick is the same as usual, but the piece that plugs into the computer does seem much hotter. Something I noticed, which I don't think I saw mentioned in other threads discussing this issue, is that it doesn't appear to happen when the computer is off. The orange light that indicates that it's plugged in will flicker along with the AC mode/battery mode screen notification, but when the computer is off it doesn't flicker at all and seems to charge normally.

I bought it in July 2011, everything is still original. I don't see any visible wear/problem on the cord or inside the power jack. Thanks for any advice.

cl-Albert
02-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Welcome to the forums! Since you confirmed your power jack is okay (?), I'm guessing there might be some problem with your AC adapter.
It's probably difficult to see inside the AC adapter plug, but wondering if you can see anything inside that could be causing contact problems.
Otherwise, try to check the AC adapter or get another one to try if you can to confirm the problem.

Make sure the unit works okay on battery power alone to get an idea if the battery could be related to the problems and if you are careful about the exposed metal battery contacts in the notebook, you can also run the unit on AC power without the battery to see if this works any better.
It may not be a big deal, but I'm paranoid about powering off the system while Windows is booting or running, so may want to try to avoid having this happen very often, or just test it in the bios without the battery.

Do you know if you have 1 year or 2 year warranty with your notebook? You may also want to check with your local ASUS support and send it back for warranty service if you are still covered.