PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking + problems

monster
07-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi y'all, this is my first post. I've owned my g53 for about 5 months now and i've read just about every post related to it. After playing a bunch a games on this thing i think i wanna overclock it now so i can play The witcher 2 and crysis 2 dx11. I am totally new to overclocking and dont understand most of the terms such as "stable clocks" and the like. I am hoping someone on here can shed some light and give me pros, cons + guides..

PROBLEMS:....
after playing games 4 a while the aero effects get laggy and dont seem to recover, explorer occasionally stops working, usb ports stop working sometimes (once since back frm repairs)

monster
07-15-2011, 07:12 AM
o yea: i7-740 qm GTX 460m etc...

Chastity@ASUS
07-15-2011, 05:11 PM
You can use applications to increase the CPU and GPU speeds to get overclocked speeds that won't crash your system. That is what "stable speeds" means. For overclocking the CPU you can use SetFSB, or you can simply use the TwinTurbo feature of your system.

Before using TwinTurbo, you need to setup Windows 7 to work with it properly. Open up a Command Prompt with Admin privileges and run this command line:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

If you don't run this, TwinTurbo/SetFSB will disable Intel Turboboost and you will run slower. :)

For the GPU, you can use apps like NVIDIA Inspector to raise the shader and memory clocks. I'm in an airport terminal atm so I can't go into a step by step guide just yet. :) But you can google these apps and get some guides for them.

mr_monster
07-15-2011, 09:23 PM
same person here had a problem with other account... so I did a bit more research on tools and i got the msi afterburner.. My gpu is now at 800 clock, 1600 shader and 1490 memory... it seems to run pretty well and "The Witcher 2" runs up to 85 (most demanding game i played so far), and 3dmark 06 gives it a 13300. I dont see any problems but then again i dont kno what to look for. Is there any program that detects overclocking problems?, can i push my performance even higher?, are my temps safe? (max GPU 85 and core #0 temp: 82- hottest core)?.. and i cant seem to find a proper guide for the CPU, it seems harder so i wanna be careful

mr_monster
07-15-2011, 09:24 PM
o and thanks alot for replying to my post Chasity

FLiNT
07-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Is there any program that detects overclocking problems?

To test the GPU settings, I'd suggest running some stress test-type utility like FurMark and look out for artifacts.

For the CPU, use Prime95.

mr_monster
07-15-2011, 10:56 PM
thx flint... will do

mr_monster
07-15-2011, 10:58 PM
btw... what are artifacts?.. what do they mean?

FLiNT
07-15-2011, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeBR4lkkM8

mr_monster
07-16-2011, 01:39 AM
ok i ran furmark.. no artifacts but it automatically sleeps when it gets to 93 degrees... is something wrong?

irdmoose
07-17-2011, 12:20 AM
93C is a little hotter than you should be running your laptop. Are you by chance testing with "PostFX"? If not, I'd turn your overclock down a few notches since it's shutting down to protect itself from damage.

mr_monster
07-17-2011, 04:13 PM
no im not using post fx and it doesn't shut down- it just sleeps. I think its because of my moniter bcuz it happens when i play games too. But even when i reduce it to about 765-core, the display driver will stop working all of a sudden then recover with the original clocks (never happened when using laptop display) but afterburner doesn't notice it thats y use 2 gpu moniters. Can someone help with this?