PDA

View Full Version : Fan donīt turn off

joaosb
02-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi all !!
i start to think that ASUS g75vx is not a good notebook, why ?
first, this is my second g75 notebook (BRAND NEW),
The first one became a BRICK, no imagem on the screen after 10 days of use. After a RMA, Asus send to me a brand new G75vx ( yesterday ).
i have performed a full disk format ( to get rid of hiddens partitions ) and install a fresh new windows 8, and install all the drivers that came in the CD.

i have noticed that after shutdown, the computer was turned off (no image in the screen, and the HD stops) but the fans are still woking. Only after i press the power button ( 5 secs ) they turn off!

Does anyone have a fix for this !?
or should i format the computer again, just to solve this issue ?

this is my 4th ASUS notebook but i start to beleive that this is the lastone . :(
The ASUS QC became a joke ! i love my G75vx is a powerfull machine very fast.

thks

joaosb
02-22-2013, 09:41 PM
This computer starts to anoying me !
finaly i realize that the windows restart operation is doing a shutdown. the shutdown i donīt know what is doing.
i already set the bios to the default.
dam !! i īm start to hate this computer !!!
can someone have the same problem or iīm the only one !? i+m losinng my mind . after a Bricked computer now this .. what a hell.....

dstrakele
02-22-2013, 10:34 PM
The fans are controlled through the BIOS. You attempt to restore BIOS defaults was a good idea. If I were in your situation, my next action would be to upgrade (or downgrade) the BIOS.

I recommend you download the BIOS update directly to a USB flash drive formatted to a single FAT32 partition. Use the EasyFlash utility in the BIOS to perform the update. You may need to use WinFlash to downgrade your BIOS version.

Confrirm the hidden file G75VX.BIN exists in the root of C: before you begin. If you encounter problems changing the BIOS version, press and hold CTRL+HOME when starting the laptop to enter BIOS recovery. In fact, that would probably be the best way to downgrade your BIOS to the laptop's original version.

If this fails to resolve your problem, take a deep breath and go to your happy place. Then contact ASUS once again for an RMA. PM the RMA information to cl-Albert, the ASUS Customer Loyalty rep on this forum and request his assistance. Unfortunately, his ability to help may be limited since you are not in the USA. But it's worthwhile to get anyone from ASUS to be on your side.

joaosb
02-22-2013, 10:39 PM
thanks for your reply, but my previous G75 one month ago, i have updated the BIOS and the computer turn into a brick ! i had no image.
so for now iīm i bit afraid to do a bios update.

but thks anyway !

Clintlgm
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Not sure but it sounds like maybe win 8 is only doing a Hybrid shut down. it not really shutting down completely. And when you hold down the power button 5 sec your causing a complete shut down. I think as long as any power is going to your CPU the fan is going to keep Idling. check on google there is a routine to create a complete shutdown Icon. Or you may be able to change the assignment of the power button for a complete shut down? Otherwise Win 8 does not completely shut down.

TokoDude
02-23-2013, 10:03 AM
U deleted ur hidden partitions including the Recovery partition? thats not smart :(

joaosb
02-24-2013, 08:04 AM
U deleted ur hidden partitions including the Recovery partition? thats not smart :(

yes iīt wasnīt smart, but tell me when you buy a new hdd does it came with a recovery partition ? NO, so Windows creates one for you. this is what happen.

And if this notebook does not work well with a full HDD format, i think i need they need to refund my Money, because in notebooks brochure, that is not mentioned.

Pitcher@asus
02-25-2013, 03:00 AM
did you try install driver from asus support site? i saw your post, you are install driver form CD.

ColonelS
02-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Hi Joaosb,

First off, sorry that you had to go through so much pain to get this laptop working.

Ok back to topic, like what Mike_LU@ASUS suggested.. have you install the drivers from the website instead off from the CD?

http://www.asus.com/ROG/G75VX/#support_Download

joaosb
02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Hi Joaosb,

First off, sorry that you had to go through so much pain to get this laptop working.

Ok back to topic, like what Mike_LU@ASUS suggested.. have you install the drivers from the website instead off from the CD?

http://www.asus.com/ROG/G75VX/#support_Download

thks for the reply,
i install the drivers from the cd.

but, after i noticed this stange behaviour, my first thing that i have done is to format again, clear all.
and after Windows is installed with no drivers at all, i tryed to shutdown, and the same problem happens !

thks
JSB

Clintlgm
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
1. Insure you are getting a complete shut down. Windows 8 by default only Partially shuts down. Hybrid shut down. If I am wrong about this anyone using Win 8 on G75 please correct me. Hybrid shut down leaves a small amount of power to the CPU I think as long as any power is going to your CPU the fan will run at minimum speed?
2. Install the drivers from the Asus web site. They are more advanced that the ones on your CD as Mike_LU@asus suggested.

joaosb
02-25-2013, 09:47 PM
1. Insure you are getting a complete shut down. Windows 8 by default only Partially shuts down. Hybrid shut down. If I am wrong about this anyone using Win 8 on G75 please correct me. Hybrid shut down leaves a small amount of power to the CPU I think as long as any power is going to your CPU the fan will run at minimum speed?
2. Install the drivers from the Asus web site. They are more advanced that the ones on your CD as Mike_LU@asus suggested.

tks for you reply.
But how can you explain. The restart shutdowns the computer no fans working no light in the turn on button. In my other computer( the one that went to rma) the shutdown work as expected turn off everything.
this is become very anoying this computer is my work horse for everything. And im start to think that i need o go back for my old G71.

dstrakele
02-26-2013, 12:49 AM
... after i noticed this stange behaviour, my first thing that i have done is to format again, clear all.
and after Windows is installed with no drivers at all, i tryed to shutdown, and the same problem happens !

By reinstalling Windows 8 and reproducing the issue with just the Windows Plug-n-Play drivers, I believe you've eliminated the possibility that the "fan shutdown failure" issue is caused by any Windows software or drivers. I don't believe any further Windows driver installations, whether they come from ASUS or direct from the device manufacturer's website, will resolve the issue.

I think you're looking at a hardware or a BIOS-related problem. I understand your hesitation to change the BIOS version, but if you wish to resolve the issue and not just live with it, upgrading the BIOS is something you can still do before you have to send it out for repair. But since you no longer have the original BIOS file on the HDD, you're working without a net, as they say in the tightrope biz...

You report restoring the BIOS defaults had no effect, so a flash of another BIOS version is needed, if this truly IS a BIOS-related issue. It's not out of the question, since @rewben reports BIOS upgrades disabled his Power On button, so the BIOS causing a shutdown issue as in your case may be possible. But if I had to guess, I'd say your problem is a hardware issue and the BIOS flash will likely fail to resolve it - but I'd sure try it as a last attempt to avoid an RMA.

If I were in your situation, I'd call ASUS, tell them about the problem and how a BIOS upgrade or downgrade appears to be the only thing you can do other than send it in for repair. See how they respond to that. In the worst case scenario, you'll brick the laptop and have to send it in anyway.

Alternatively, you can PM cl-Albert on this forum, and ask how he would recommend you handle the problem.

rewben
02-26-2013, 04:16 AM
hi @joaosb, you can try to disable the fast startup in your active power plan options (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html) and see how it goes. if it doesn't work, you could also try to disable fast boot in the bios.

note that this is a 'true' shutdown. disabling fast startup means your windows will take longer to boot (and that's the small sacrifice you need to cope with).

what @dstrakele suggested is valid; since the fan is controlled by bios, you should upgrade/downgrade it to see if it helps. there is a risk, but if you followed the steps carefully there shouldn't be a problem. i have done and repeated the bios upgrades/downgrades many many times (to try my luck to get it upgraded to the latest but i'm out of luck so far. my current bios which is 209 is actually working fine, so i just leave it be for now)

i don't hear moving fan from my g55; i have disabled fast startup (well, maybe it's because my rather noisy surroundings).

dstrakele
02-26-2013, 04:37 AM
Here's a thread with a similar issue reported for an ASUS Sabertooth z77 motherboard that was resolved with a BIOS flash and reset to defaults: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313142-30-fans-running-shutdown

Lightning CAN strike twice....

rewben
02-26-2013, 04:45 AM
Here's a thread with a similar issue reported for an ASUS Sabertooth z77 motherboard that was resolved with a BIOS flash and reset to defaults: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313142-30-fans-running-shutdown

Lightning CAN strike twice....

yeah; that's the risk that @joaosb has to take :/

joaosb
02-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Thks to all !
i will give a shot in the next weekend.
mean while i have 204 bios version and my notebook is a G75VX i beleive this is the last bios version.

should i flash using the windows utility or using the bios utility ?

or before i update, can someone know a asus technical line for portugal/europe ?
as far as i know from my last experience, the only thing that asus support knows is how to create RMAs to send computers to
repair. and in this case i need a Techical line to call with real technicians.

thks
JSB

dstrakele
02-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I just thought of something... If you have the CD that ships with the laptop, it should have the original G75VX.BIN file on it. You can copy it to the root of C: and use CTRL+HOME to initiate a BIOS Recovery to downgrade your BIOS.

Otherwise, you'll need to follow @ROG-Monster's instructions in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29457-Asus-G75vx-New-Bios-204&p=229199&viewfull=1#post221949 to use WinFlash /noupdate from the Command Prompt.

Findin' a REAL Technician at ASUS Technical Support? Now that'd be a good one, Laddy!

Seriously, I recommend you PM cl-Albert, the ASUS Customer Loyalty rep on this forum.

joaosb
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
should i downgrade to 203 ? or should i flash again the 204 ?
right now the bios version is the 204 !
jsb

dstrakele
02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
I'd try 203 first if I were in your situation.

cl-Albert
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Hi JSB,

The G75VX is a fairly new model, but unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about this 'shutdown' issue yet.

If your store/repair center can help, you may want to discuss more with them too if you haven't already.
Also check with them that it will be okay to flash the bios again if you decide to try this in case the unit no longer works, or see if they have any better ideas to resolve it.

I'm located in the U.S., and it sounds like you may be located in Portugal, so it may be a little more difficult for me to help, but some ideas are below. Some website links are embedded below and click on them to check.
1. Check the ASUS Portugal website (http://pt.asus.com/) if you haven't already under service or support for more information (unfortunately, I can't read Portuguese, so hope you can find the right information).

2. Try the hotline number for Portugal listed on our contact information site (http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en).

You can always check back with the forums for more ideas, but in case we can't help you solve the problem, I want to make sure it will not be too late for you to go back to your store for a resolution.

I don't really expect you to go this route, but if you are able to reinstall the Win8 factory image to the notebook, make sure the shutdown is working okay, or have the service center do this before returning the unit to you, etc. If you have better options through your store though, talk to them.

Finally, this is just a really wild guess, but you might also try changing the language of Windows if it is easy to try?
It's pretty rare, but I'm wondering if there could be some issue related to the language of Windows just in case other regions have not heard of this problem although every G75VW user in your region should know about it if that was the problem.

Hope this helps and feel free to discuss more or PM me if there is anything else I can help with!

joaosb
02-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Hi cl-Albert / all
thsk for you reply, i will try to install during the weekend windows 8 from Asus DVD,
if the shutdown works ! good i have solved the problem ( but i donīt have sure what was the fix ). if not work, i need to call to ASUS to proced to a RMA again, and one month more without the computer ! :( i will cross my fingers !!

JSB

cl-Albert
03-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Hi JSB,

I've checked into it more, but was not able to find more information.
If it's not too late, you may just want to test the shutdown after installing Windows without any other drivers as dstrakele mentioned.

Also, if you still have the notebook and haven't tried it, make sure the hard drive light is working okay and try waiting longer for Windows to shutdown (5 minutes should be more than enough time?).
I've seen other notebook models where the screen will go black when shutting down Win8, but the hard drive light is still running for a little while, so you might see if the unit is just taking longer to shutdown?

joaosb
03-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi cl-Albert

When i first format the computer and noticed that the shutdown didnīt work well.
so i have formated again and check if the problem continued, the problem continued.
I already done that, wait a few minutes to see what happen. but it does not turn off.

when i have time i will, format the computer again and i will use the recovery disc, to see if the problem is solved.

thks
JSB