PDA

View Full Version : Recovering a Windows 8 key for G75VX

HollowMan
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Hello,

I've bought yesterday a G75VX-T4066H and i deleted the 2 partitions (not the recovery ones), resized to my liking and installed Windows 7.
Is it possible to recover my Windows 8 KEY and reinstall the system to the original state? :confused:

Thanks

pathfindercod
02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I think it's F9. If you hit f9 repeadidly when you turn the machine on it should boot off the recovery partition.

Tomislav
02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
try to follow the win 8 installation guide written by rewben in the stickies. your win 8 key should be in bios.

Dr4g0n36
02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
if you install Windows 8 with the RIGHT dvd (i'm talking about OEM DVD) the serial screen doesn't popup, and you get on the desktop already activated. That's because win8 installation search in bios chipset before all other place (i.e. PID.txt and manual enter).

Dr4g0n36
02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
ps, this work ONLY if you don't disable quick boot and secure boot. otherwise with the EFI shell disabled the "serial chip" is unreachable by Windows 8 installation

rewben
02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
thanks for the hints, @Dr4g0n36. this is the first time i hear about this so i hope you can enlighten us: with secure boot turned on, you can do a fresh install? from what i have learned the users cannot even boot from other media if the option is turned on.

dparish2
02-22-2013, 05:42 PM
If you haven't changed anything in the BIOS then you can run a Windows 8 dvd or even a Windows 8 pro dvd and it will work ( I tried it ). If you want to recover the key just in case, download and run Magic Jellybean Key finder, I had to run it twice but it got the key.

dparish2
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
FYI if you download and run a Windows 8 pro dvd, it will just be normal Windows 8 when the BIOS inputs the key.

Dr4g0n36
02-23-2013, 02:38 AM
sorry but this day was huge...ok, let's start:

If you download Windows 8 PRO iso (e.g. upgrade) you have to open the iso and insert your serial in a file called PID.txt under "source" folder, than burn onto a DVD or USB drive. thats because if Windows installer dont find it, the next step is automatic search of the serial trough EFI shell, a nd then will return an error because the serial embedded in machine is Windows 8 OEM, not Windows 8 PRO.

If you want to leave enabled secure boot you have to burn an untouched ISO, so the secure boot will search the EFI folder and files required to start installation, BUT finding a Windows 8 OEM untouched iso is impossible for now. You can easily find ISOs of Windows 8 "all in one" that allow you to select wich version of Windows 8 you want to install, but you can't boot in EFI mode because the programs that are used for merge all ISOs delete (or are still unable) the EFI partition, so the EFI boot will not recognize the DVD (in my case was a little bit complicated "thanks" to the RAID between 2 SSD...one week of tries...)

I've tried original HDD with secure boot, another HDD without secure boot and 2 SSD in RAID without secure boot an with quick boot disable (necessary for recognize Inel Raid) and the ONLY difference is the start logo (ok, there are many technical difference, but i'm talking only about startup speed and appearance); with secure boot the bios is merged with Windows 8 startup, displaying only ROG logo until lock screen, in other 2 cases you will see the ROG logo (and the RAID DOs screen if you plan to build a RAID) for 0,5 sec and the Windows 8 logo for 1,5/2,0 sec. No noticeable difference between the 3 methods.

At least, EFI boot is a tecnology that increase protection of startup and allow to use GPT partitions but nothing else was still implemented so, IMHO, can be disabled with no conseguence.

rewben
02-23-2013, 03:03 AM
thank you very very much @Dr4g0n36 and @dparish2. that's what i suspected, just that i don't have a g75vx to verify them :D