PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide - G46

zaranoff
02-24-2013, 06:45 AM
So I just made an account to post this question, hope you can give me some advice.

I returned my msi ge60, was not satisfied at all with it. I've always wanted a sub 15" gaming laptop so the gods answered my prayers and brought me this, the asus g46.

Now I have been reading all threads in here about the screen res this and that and can honestly say that I would rather get the 1366x768 over 1600x900, even if I had the choice between those two.

On the other hand we have the Clevo w110er wich is an 11.6" beast. I will not be hooking up my laptop with an external monitor.

Do you guys think it will be comfortable to game on a 11.6"? Or should I get the g46? I am really torn between these two machines. Aside the screen res on the g46, is it good overall?

I know that this is the ROG forums but please could you give some unbiased advice/opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Nivaku
02-24-2013, 07:00 AM
I personally have the m11x and the G46. I think the G46 is a better choice in terms of gaming because you get a better video card, and the cooling in the system is excellent. The G46 is a very light notebook that packs a punch in terms of performance. I got mine upgraded with the i7 though and upgraded the HD to 7200RPM instead of the 5400RPM. The only problem with the G46 is with the powerbrick I got, man it's massive. Anyways here's my 10 cents my .02 cents is free

JwPwns
02-24-2013, 07:16 AM
sub 15" gaming laptops i would prefer G55 if you don't have to carry it around everyday, I have my G46 for few months now and i carry it on campus everyday, it's portable enough that i don't feel anything extra in my backpack. As far as gaming notebook goes, this one is impressive with the cooling. I upgraded mine too with i7 3820qm and it didn't break a sweat, everything just plug and goes. however if you want the best experience with the G46 i recommend upgrading it with Msata SSD or a huge SSD because the stock drive for current versions are PTA. The screen display doesn't bother me much because at the 14" catergory it's hard to find better screen res. anyways have fun with your future G46 =P

Zygomorphic
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
I have the G53SX and it is a heavy computer to carry around, but they have been getting lighter with subsequent revisions. They are all really powerful, so from a performance standpoint, you can't get much better. The 11" will be hard on your eyes, so if you go with that, get an external monitor for doing all the productive tasks like typing (or browsing the forums). My G53SX has a 1080p panel, which means that I can get two windows side by side.

zaranoff
02-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your input guys! I'm leaning towards the g46.

So far I have found the g46 and clevo 11.6" to be the top gaming notebooks under 15". Do you know any more that I could take a look at?

The only criteria being 14" at max.

Zygomorphic
02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your input guys! I'm leaning towards the g46.

So far I have found the g46 and clevo 11.6" to be the top gaming notebooks under 15". Do you know any more that I could take a look at?

The only criteria being 14" at max.

There is the alienware m14x, but that is slower than the G46, and costs more. If you choose 14", the G46 is the only choice. The 11" mandates the clevo. I would advise 14", that way it has a usable screen on the go.

zaranoff
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
There is the alienware m14x, but that is slower than the G46, and costs more. If you choose 14", the G46 is the only choice. The 11" mandates the clevo. I would advise 14", that way it has a usable screen on the go.

Oh yeah I forgot the m14x! But I'm not a fan of Alienware, and I looked at the specs... What an outlandish price for that kind of system.

So my choice is basically: m14x, g46 and clevo? Not many gaming notebooks under 15" I might say! Everything points at the g46 though, the only negative thing I found about it is win8. I honestly cannot express in words how much I hate it.

Thanks for the help!

DRAKON
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Well I wouldn't recommend you to get under 14 inch laptop for gaming. Even if you have external monitor at home I would imagine you want to carry it around otherwise you would easily get 15 or 17 inch. Just 11 inch laptop is not for gaming... in my opinion they are not even for anything. My girlfriend has 11 inch laptop ( of course she loves it as it's very light and the battery life is incredible ) and I can't work with it's keyboard - it's so broken and the monitor is too small. Can't really enjoy gaming on it.

As for the G46 from the specs and reviews I notices some things that could be problematic:

1. The battery is not removable. I totally prefer to be able to remove it when my charger is plugged in. The batty performance is getting a worse a lot faster when it's always in. Do not want to get into technical details but in general the batteries that are used only when needed have much larger life span.
2. No DVD reader. Now in the internet age it's not really used all the time but I still prefer to have on just in case.
3. The screen resolution is kind of low. Well compared to other 14-15 inch laptops it's not low at all as most laptops are using the same. I'm talking about the 1366x768 one. The 1600x900 seems good if available.
4. Windows 8... I really do understand you pain with it. The good news is that when you learn the important key combinations you will only see the ****ty metro interface when you boot up and after Win+D it disappears. The Win+Q leads to application search - basically start menu on your whole screen. Win+F leads to file search. The control panel is a little bit harder to find compared to the win 7 start menu but you are not going to use it all the time anyway. So in the end it's not the end of the world ( even though Microsoft tried to go that far ).

rewben
02-24-2013, 03:18 PM
@DRAKON, win+x brings you straight to control panel and other admin stuff.

JwPwns
02-24-2013, 03:25 PM
the non-removable battery is removable but takes long time lol i don't recall the last time using dvd on my computers though, if i want play blueray disk i would be playing them thru the home theater, other than that i see no need for dvd-rom anymore. But that's just my opinion and to get rip of windows 8 is pretty easy, i did that the 2nd day i got mine. All you have to do is create a bottable usb drive and throw window 7 install files, go to bios disable secure boot and enable csm launch then you are set to go.

DRAKON
02-24-2013, 05:12 PM
@rewben - thanks. I'm still learning the key combinations :)

@JwPwns - getting rid of the Windows 8 is more of a problem in 2 ways - first you paid for it. Unless you have available copy for windows 7 you have to put more money in it ( I will not discuss the piracy as an option as it could lead to different consequences both legally and in using the OS itself ). I was looking for official way to downgrade but I had problem finding my windows 8 key first (yes there are solutions but still a lot of effort for that). The second thing is about the effort. When I pay extra for a laptop because of the windows coming with it I would expect to have it installed with all the drivers and recovery option. So generally I wouldn't want to pay for something that I'm not going to use and also putting a lot more efforts in something that should be fixed for me already.

As for the DVD drive usage I agree that they are not used as they used to be but still it's good to have it in the rare cases you will be using it. Of course you could buy external drive but it's not like having it everywhere you go.

As for the battery - all batteries are removable. Some of them are designed to be removed, others are not but that doesn't mean you can't do it - it means you are not suppose to do it on regular basis.

I understand all the conditions that leads to those specifics. I just wanted to mention them because people should see not only the good sides but also the bad once before they make their decision. Of course they may be problem for me and not a problem for you so everybody should decide if certain condition is a problem for him.

One more thing I forgot to mention - The laptop does have only one HDD. So this mean you can't have faster boot SSD and a normal storage HDD like in the G75. Even though most laptops out there goes with one HDD it's good to consider this as well when deciding to go for the 14-15 inch G series.

JwPwns
02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
hey Drakon i don't think you are going to find any window 7 on any new model laptops anymore, unless you buy the old models that are left from win7 and it could be hard to find now days especially for gaming laptops. anyways good luck searching =) btw it also have msata port so i do have a faster boot ssd and a huge storage hdd like in every G series =)

DRAKON
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
About the windows 7 I know it's becoming harder to find on new laptop cause all manufacturers have contracts with Microsoft and they are kind of obligated to sell their new "****". Still people should be pointed out what are they going to pay for before making their choice.

As for the msata - I had no idea that G46 has it. Unfortunately in the ASUS site specs nothing mentions it (or at least I can't find it). So you can get the same result with G46 as with the G75 in terms of boot + storage. Good to know :)

be77solo
02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I'd throw another nod to the G46 and the 14" size over an 11". I had a G73 17" and an Alienware m11x 11.6", sold both and bought the G46. The 17" was GREAT for stationary use and could be moved around, but traveling was a bit annoying due to the size so I never really took it with me. The 11.6" was GREAT for mobility and throwing in a bag and carrying on a plane etc, but normal usage was a serious compromise... the screen was just simply too small for day to day use and extended gaming. Doable of course, but it was always such a nice treat to get back to the 17" G73 sitting on my desktop.

The g46 has been a really good compromise between the two. It's plenty small enough to be portable and I take it all over the place in a padded slip case I snagged at Best Buy, but is still big enough to actually be enjoyable to use full time as my primary machine.

Performance wise the g46 is fantastic, only issue is the stock 5400rpm HDD in the Best Buy version, which I'd HIGHLY recommend upgrading to at least a 7200rpm drive, but ideally a SSD of some sort. I went the mSATA3 route and kept the stock 750GB HDD as a data drive and it's worked out really well. I did a few other upgrades but they are by no means necessary. Performance is right in line with a 15" or 17" gaming machine. Take into account the 1366x768 resolution versus a 1080p 17" screen, and it games REALLY well.

As for actual screen quality, it is a matte display which I like, and with a proper calibration looks nice and is totally acceptable and usable. It's not the best, but it's not the worst screen I've had. I had to bump the saturation up a bit and tweak the color balance, but that made a very noticeable improvement over out of the box appearance. And, like you mentioned, the 1366x768 resolution is good for this size screen, especially when taking gaming performance advantages into account. Games look awesome on the screen at native res.

Cooling is fantastic on the g46, has a similar dual fan setup to the bigger G series and works great and is quiet. Also, battery life with Optimus is very impressive, 5+ hours of varied usage isn't a problem. As to comments about removing the battery when plugged in, I haven't worried about that in years... the new machines automatically stop charging once full so there's no worries of overcharging or needless wear cycles etc.

Well, guess that was a bit more than $.02. Good luck in whatever you choose! I've owned pretty much all machine types, from Sager's to Alienware's, Dell's, HP's, Toshiba's, & Asus'.... They all have their pro's & con's, but regarding the g46 and the 14" size, I'd definitely purchase again.

Zygomorphic
02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
@be77solo, I would do the same with my 15" G53SX, since it runs really well, and the cooling is awesome. Thanks for all the advice you shared! :)

zaranoff
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow thank you all so much for sharing your opinions! I decided to go with the g46=) It's now ordered.

@be77solo, Excellent informative text! Your more than $.02 was much appreciated!

I will post some of my views on the g46 when I get it, might benefit somebody that is considering a purchase.

Have to say that asus did the right move to introduce a 14" gaming machine since the market for sub 15" systems is emerging.