PDA

View Full Version : G50 vt froze and no start up nor safe mode

yellow33bench
02-24-2013, 06:01 PM
I was on a website and my laptop froze. Control alt delete did nothing. So I had to shut it down and when I restarted I got the flame type picture On the black background but it wouldn't do anything else . So I shut down again to try to get into safe mode and I couldn't get into safe mode and I have a completely black screen. I put the system restore disk in the CD player and restarted the laptop but nothing came up on my screen. So do you think this is a video card problem and if so can it be replaced or is that on the motherboard or some other problem.

dstrakele
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Try discharging the laptop by unplugging, removing the battery and all peripheral devices (including any SD cards in the Card Reader), holding down the Power On button for 10 seconds, then plunging in and attempt to start your laptop. If this fails to display video, try connecting the laptop to an external monitor or HDTV to see if video will display there.

yellow33bench
02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks des as it worked. Forgot as I unplugged and nothing but then I popped out the battery too and got it. Afraid to shut it off now but thanks

dstrakele
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I meant to put "remove the battery" in there. It's critical to get a discharge.

Unfortunately, discharging the laptop is only a temporary workaround and not a permanent fix. The "boot to black screen" issue most often is caused by hardware - a poorly-connected or defective LVDS cable, poorly-seated or defective VGA, defective capacitors, or bad power supply. The issue is typically reported to worsen over time.

If video displays on a connected external monitor while the laptop screen stays black, you confirm you've got the easier, cheaper LVDS cable fix.