PDA

View Full Version : Windows serial number included on computer?

plus1zero
02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi all, I purchased a G72GX from a guy on craigslist this weekend for $400, in good shape. Computer works fine, he'd replaced the screen when it started flickering a month or so ago, and it runs a little loud but haven't had any trouble with it so far. Anyways, he downloaded a cracked version of Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I'm not too worried about it as I know the options I have, but I'd like to have the stock authentic OS on there. Is there any way for me to find the serial number embedded anywhere? If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it!

billyray520
02-25-2013, 08:24 PM
There should have been a sticker underneath somewhere showing the Windows version and its key that was originally installed on your laptop. I bought my G73 from ebay and did a clean re-install of Windows 7 home premium from the legitimate Windows 7 download. I had to call Microsoft to validate the key that was on the unit, and then put in a new one, but then its been working fine ever since.

plus1zero
02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Ahh there isn't one :( With it being so old, there wouldn't be any way Asus could pull it from the serial number on the machine is there?

Shawnnepc
02-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Afraid not.

Unless the recovery partition is still on the unit. That would allow you to factory restore the original OEM activated OS

dstrakele
02-26-2013, 01:38 AM
As @Shawnnepc suggested, try pressing F9 at startup to initiate the ASUS Factory Recovery. You'll just boot to Windows if it has been deleted. You could also check for the hdden partition in Windows Disk Management.

Alternatively, did you check for the label on the bottom of the battery bay by removing the battery. I've read that can be another location for it.

plus1zero
02-26-2013, 05:56 AM
As luck would have it it actually IS on the bottom of the computer. A little hard to see but I think I can make it out. I'm going to reinstall everything legitimately with 7 Home Premium. Can I do this with any 64-bit ISO disc? And how much trouble will this be? I'm a bit newbish at this and don't want to screw anything up :|

Pitcher@asus
02-26-2013, 07:42 AM
i think it is able to do clean install, if you want install driver, please visit asus support site to download, also you can search from ROG, it have post about clean install.

billyray520
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
+1 what Mike says.

What I did was download Windows 7 Home Premium (http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/) which is an ISO file. (they have one with SP1 already included) Make a DVD install disk with that. Then go to the ASUS site and get all of the drivers you will be needing. Create another DVD with them. Then install Windows 7, using key you found on bottom. If you're really lucky you won't have to call Microsoft, but otherwise, its just an automated phone call. I had a terrible time understanding the robotic voice which was cutting in and out.. :mad: After Windows is installed you can start installing all of your drivers. You should be all ready to go!

Warning: while installing tell Windows not to do updates, or when you boot into Windows, suspend updates until you are ready, otherwise it will try and take over your computer. I did the updates AFTER all the drivers etc. were installed. ;)

plus1zero
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM
+1 what Mike says.

What I did was download Windows 7 Home Premium (http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/) which is an ISO file. (they have one with SP1 already included) Make a DVD install disk with that. Then go to the ASUS site and get all of the drivers you will be needing. Create another DVD with them. Then install Windows 7, using key you found on bottom. If you're really lucky you won't have to call Microsoft, but otherwise, its just an automated phone call. I had a terrible time understanding the robotic voice which was cutting in and out.. :mad: After Windows is installed you can start installing all of your drivers. You should be all ready to go!

Warning: while installing tell Windows not to do updates, or when you boot into Windows, suspend updates until you are ready, otherwise it will try and take over your computer. I did the updates AFTER all the drivers etc. were installed. ;)

Why would I have to call MS? Isn't it just an 'enter your serial key' type thing? Also could I install the drivers via USB?

billyray520
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
I think the reason I had to call Microsoft is that when my laptop was refurbished they re-installed a different Windows 7 OEM copy. It also had the hdd partitioned like in the original setup with the large recovery hidden partition (which was empty) So I decided to do a fresh Windows install on the SSD I planned to put in it. Using the original key probably flagged some kind of error (but I'm not sure.) Anyway, the message I got during the activation sequence was that I had to call Microsoft at a certain 800 number. I had numbers on the screen to tell them, and they gave me new numbers to enter to get it activated. I think my original key is once again the OS key. And yes, you can install from usb, I just made a DVD version because that was easier for me. Hope that answers your questions. :)