PDA

View Full Version : ROG Branding

Dan-in-TX
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
I just upgraded my G55VW to Windows 8 Pro, and I abhor that blueish-green static window logo at the boot. I've been doing some research on changing it, but it appears to be part of the bootres.dll file within the EFI boot configuration. Looking at this file, it is digitally signed by Microsoft, so it is all but impossible to change it on our own - our best bet would be to copy a bootres.dll file from a different version of Windows 8 (7 might work) and stick it in the correct places.

But, I was thinking....if I'm going to go through this effort, I may as well make this a ROG laptop, since that's what it is, anyhow. D'y'all think it would be possible for Asus to provide us with a signed bootres.dll file that contains a boot logo something like Zygomorphic's avatar?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/image.php?u=42525&dateline=1342519724

How would we go about getting their attention on this?

Vicodin
02-26-2013, 03:15 AM
I have Windows 8 on my Asus G55vw and I don't recall seeing what you are talking about. When mine boots I see a ROG logo in the center of the screen.

Dan-in-TX
02-26-2013, 04:20 AM
Now that I'm thinking about it, the W7 load did have the ROG logo on boot. When I did an upgrade to W8 pro, it rewrote the bootres.dll file with a very generic looking W8 logo. It's not even the standard one, it's actually pretty ugly.

Vicodin
02-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Yeah that must be why. It wasn't pre-installed at Asus. You upgraded/installed it yourself.

RocketD0G
02-26-2013, 06:31 AM
The G75VX has the ROG boot logo on Windows 8, so it shouldn't be impossible.

-RocketD0G!

Pitcher@asus
02-26-2013, 09:34 AM
hi, what do you mean, i really not understand clear, could you tell more or post photo, thanks.

Dan-in-TX
02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
OK, I've done some research and found out a few things. The first thing I'm going to attempt is to reflash my BIOS - here's why.

According to the MSDN forums, there is such a thing as a branded boot logo. It is specified by the hardware manufacturer within the UEFI specifications, as the BGRT - boot graphics resource table (see ACPI 5.0 spec 5.2.22 section). If this table exists during boot, the image drawn by UEFI stays on the screen. If the table doesn't exist, the default Windows "blue window" logo is drawn during boot. It is not configurable from the OS, so it has to be done at the hardware/UEFI level.

I'm going to reflash the BIOS and see if it replaces the graphic, since it apparently got erased with the W8 upgrade. I haven't looked at the BIOS since the upgrade, come to think of it, so I don't know if W8 changed anything else that would be causing other issues I'm currently having.

I'll do some more digging to see if I can find out where this image is located in the UEFI configs, and see if I can change it directly. I'll let y'all know what I come up with.

Oh, the default W8 boot screen looks like this (without the squares and numbers):

http://wesnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/vbe_effects.jpg

Dan-in-TX
02-27-2013, 04:03 AM
OK, scratch that idea, at least until I figure out a different method of flashing besides the WinFlash app. Since the BIOS is the same version, it won't do anything, and it won't let me downgrade, either.

Time to hack the EFI partition.....

Myk SilentShadow
02-27-2013, 04:14 AM
ezflash util in BIOS will allow you to flash the same version over the top of its self

Dan-in-TX
02-27-2013, 04:54 AM
I got the dual boot stuff straightened out, now I just need to clean up the Grub Menu. But, since I'm using the grub loader as a handoff to the Windows boot manager, I still want to change that ugly logo. The only method I've found that will work is to copy the bootres.dll in from another Windows 8 distribution, and apparently the most attractive boot logo they've created was for the W8 beta with a betafish logo. I'll copy that in and see if it works - if not, I need to figure out how to disable signature checking for that one file so I can modify it myself. I read something today that hinted that it may be possible to do through some hidden switches in bcedit, but I'll have to do some more digging.

I think the Ubuntu load was somehow being messed up by a setting I changed myself - I had enabled the UEFI network stack to test a bootp server I was working on, and forgot to turn it back off. Once I disabled the network stack, Ubuntu started booting again.

Oh, and if y'all haven't figured it out, I'm not your stereotypical ROG member - I purchased this machine not to game, but to run Vmware and other resource intensive applications. I do a lot of tweaking in my day job - I'm not a programmer, but my job is to make sure that the group of coders I support can do theirs. I've picked up quite a few things in the process, but I am by no means a programmer myself - I can only hack certain things that I set out to modify in the first place, and it takes me quite a bit of research to figure out just how to do that.

srmojuze
02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Hmm sounds like the UEFI got messed up somehow and needs to be reset. I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro and I managed to keep my Asus ROG boot logo. Worst case scenario you could hack the dll with Reshacker or something, I'm not sure if that will work but that helped my do something like replace the somewhat distasteful Photoshop CS6 splash screen.

Sinless
02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
My g75 came with win7 preinstalled, i upgrade to win 8 pro and my boot logo is the blue one. I saw a video on youtube with a VX booting, with the ROG logo.