PDA

View Full Version : G75vw screen does not turn on at boot

shtick7
02-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi there,

So I've had the G75vw from best buy since May 2012 and I haven't had any problems with the laptop till now sadly. Yesterday I turned on the laptop as usual and the laptop was running but the screen didn't turn on. I still heard the windows startup sound though. I searched around for solutions like removing the battery and holding the power button for a minute or so but nothing worked.

I took a break for about a hour and tried to turn on the laptop again and the screen turned on finally. As far as I could tell it was running normally. I tried restarting it, putting it on sleep, and closing the lid but the screen still turned on normally.

Then I had class for about 6 hours and when I came back home, the laptop screen wouldn't turn on again!
As of right now, the screen isnt turning on again but it was working in the morning.
Ok, The screen turned on when I booted it up just now as I'm typing this.

TLDR my screen won't turn on sometimes when I boot up recently

So should I RMA the laptop or should I take it a local computer repair? Not sure if this is important but the day before this happend I updated the graphic driver to the most recent one 314.70 and I also overclocked it using Nvidia inspector but it was working fine. Another thing is that I hear a light high pitched sound under the keyboard when the laptop is turned on when the screen wasn't turning on.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

dstrakele
02-27-2013, 02:14 AM
As in auto mechanics, the thing you last worked on is most likely responsible for any current problem, so it is VERY important to know this issue occurred after updating your video driver and overclocking.

Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the issue occurred. This will cleanly backrev your NVIDIA driver. You may want to go back to stock clocks as well to see if that is contributing to the problem.

Typically, the "boot to black screen" issue is hardware-related. Connect your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV to see if video appears there when your laptop display is black. If that is the case, a poorly-connected or defective LVDS cable or defective laptop display is the likely cause. If both monitors are black, it is related to the VGA or video driver.

The high pitched noise you hear under the keyboard is likely the hard disk drive spinning or you may have inadvertently initiated the laptop's auto-destruct sequence. If it is the latter, you want to be at least 500 meters away from the laptop when that sequence concludes - no pressure.....

Pitcher@asus
02-27-2013, 06:34 AM
so the problem is sporadic or often? when you try @dstrakele way, please post it.

shtick7
02-27-2013, 06:10 PM
so the problem is sporadic or often? when you try @dstrakele way, please post it.

It was definitely sporadic. I tried turning the laptop on/off throughout yesterday till the screen turned on.

Ok, last night I tried doing a system restore as @dstrakele suggested and once the laptop restarted itself, the screen turned off again. So I just waited till I heard the windows start-up sound and after I heard it I turned off the laptop annnd went to bed.

I booted up the laptop this morning and it booted up normally with the screen turned on. I thought this was a hardware-related problem but maybe it was just the Nvidia driver and/or overclocking. I wasn't able to connect to an external monitor or HDTV since they're back at my hometown. I'll try connecting it this weekend if the problem arises again.

I'll keep testing the laptop throughout the day to see if it'll boot up normally. Thanks for the help