PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx Working properly?

boomboxer
02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi there,
I've had ASUS G74S for couple of years now and for some reason I haven't wrote about this problem until now.

I've had problems with games like heroes V and now battlefield play4free.
I normally don't play so many games and if I play it's something like FIFA that should run smoothly even with less powerful computer.

But in these two games (for example purpose) IMO my computer should perform better. I hope there are people who have played heroes might and magic 5 so they know what I am talking about.
When you have discovered enough ground and you wanna take a look at broader view (view with a lower angel so you can see further) my computer chokes and the FPS drops to less than 10. A friend of mine who's playing with a desktop with less powerful equipment doesn't have this problem.

In Battlefield play4free the game doesn't stutter but in some maps I think I should have a higher FPS.
In Skyrim the FPS was roughly around 40 which I think isn't good enough.

The weird thing is that I think my computer starts slowing down even though the temps aren't so high, I'm using HWinfo64 and the temps of CPU won't go higher than 67~68 Celsius and GPU temp won't go over 60 Celsius. It doesn't matter if I'm playing a game that demands a lot from hardware or less the max temps are always the same.

I know in window's "power management" you can put on High Performance plan but I prefer use the Entertainment since I've understood that if you CPU is running 100% 24/7 it will shorten it's lifetime.

PC specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Model G74Sx
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G74Sx.201, 27.4.2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7,98 GB
Available Physical Memory 5,39 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16,0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13,1 GB
Page File Space 7,98 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M with 314.07-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql driver

Geez I wrote a book, I hope there's someone who has patience and is willing to read the whole thing, because I'm in a need of help, it would be much appreciated.

BB

boomboxer
02-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Oh and also you can write off the possibility of a problem with dust since I try to clean my PC everyday with a compressed air can.

dstrakele
02-27-2013, 12:24 PM
You are running at the limits of the Entertainment power profile. If you want better performance in games, use the High Performance power profile. Your laptop will run at higher temperatures, but you can easily switch back to the Entertainment profile with the ROG button when you're done gaming.

boomboxer
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi dstrakele and thank you for prompt reply.
Unfortunately that is not the case since the performance of my PC in these games doesn't improve whether I'm using High Performance power profile or Entertainment.
Actually the only significant difference between these two profiles is that in Entertainment profile the minimum processor state is 5% where as in High Performance it's 100% (and that is the main reason why I use Entertainment since it will consume less my CPU)

BB

diamond
02-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I think the problem lies in the profile of your GPU card. When I bought my G74SX I had some issues like screen freezing out of nowhere and crashing to desktop in some games even watching youtube videos. What I tried to do was modifying the profile of the GPU to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' instead of 'Adaptive'. Try this out and post your result so others can see if this works or not.

boomboxer
02-27-2013, 07:10 PM
mmm...easier said than done, can you explain me how to do that?

diamond
02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
It's quite easy actually.

All you need to do is open the NVIDIA Settings via Notification Area (the little NVIDIA icon that appears in your taskbar) and choose Manage 3D Settings and then look for the option Power Management Mode which will be set to Prefer maximum performance. I must warn you that if you set this up your battery will be drained a lot faster than usual when in battery mode so only do this if you will be running with the power supply on.

Post again with your results.

boomboxer
02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately it didn't make a difference.
I wish there was someone who had played Heroes V, cause in some viewing angles my fps drops to just 9 (fraps).
I'm running it at 1920x1080 resolution without any antialiasing or anisotropic and normal quality level.
The recommended system requirement for the game is:
CPU: Pentium 4 / Athlon 2,4 GHz
RAM: 1024MB
VGA: 256 MB AGP 8x GeForceFX 6600 / RADEON x800 or higher video card
DX: DirectX 9.0C
HDD: 2 GB free space
Sound: Dolby Surround 5.1 sound processor
ODD: CD/DVD-ROM speed: 32x

So there should be absolutely no problem for my PC to make this game run smoothly(in any angle).

BB

boomboxer
02-27-2013, 11:20 PM
I give you a picture so you'll understand what kind of graphical demand I'm talking about:17735

diamond
02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
It's very odd indeed because the recommended requirements are way below the specs of a g74sx... The last thing I checked these days on forums was the Throttle problem with sandy bridge cpus... I don't know if that's the case but it's worth checking... You can search here in the ROG forums for some topics relateds to throttle problems. Good luck.

boomboxer
02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Yeah I've read that topic and I tried it and nothing.
The question remains should I send my notebook to the manufacturer since I still have a year remaining in my three year guarantee?

diamond
02-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I guess it's worth the try sending back to the store but I think the only solution they will give you is giving you a new notebook because this problem is related exclusively to some software/hardware of your notebook because I think the G74SX isn't suppose to behave like that, at least mine doesn't.

boomboxer
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
diamond you think they will change my computer for this type of a reason? I get normal score from 3dmark though

Pitcher@asus
03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
If your are still have warranty, i suggest you send back to asus service center to check, when you do all the sw way like restore os, setting NVIDIA control manual, reinstall driver, it is unable to fix.

Ironsight
03-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Sounds to me... You might need to install all updates for said game... Or video card... Or clean that system. To be honest it kind of sounds like you're running a pirated version of the game without any updates. Most games are released with very bad speed bugs until patches are released and video drivers updated to support said game better. Like Fallout New Vegas ran like dirt on day 1, but after many patches and a few nVidia driver updates it plays smooth as silk.