PDA

View Full Version : G73/G73JH SSD Upgrade Help

bmpx
02-28-2013, 03:27 AM
I want to upgrade my HDD now to an SSD and am looking at the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD.

I am also reading across the net that my Intel HM55 chipset isn't well designed to work with fast SSDs. I see lots and lots of info on tweaks I can perform - both in relation to the G73JH and to laptops with the HM55 chipset in general. I understand it's a SATA II controller (and not SATA III) - but even compared to other chipsets that are SATA II the HM55 in the G73 is kind of inferior as far as I can tell.

I ask this..

1 - Is there a recent/2013/"best" SSD tweak guide available for the G73JH regarding SSDs? Is there one that people found to be the best at getting the HM55 to deal with with faster SSDs?

2 - With this limitation in the HM55 and G73 - would I be almost as good off getting the Crucial M4 256gb SSD instead of the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb? They're about a $40 difference - I don't care for reliability differences in these two models - I'm very curious regarding performance differences when running in a G73JH with a HM55 chipset.

Any advice in any direction here would be greatly appreciated

Chino
02-28-2013, 03:45 AM
The important factor here is the SATA controller. The G73JH comes with a SATA2 controller which will seriously limit the performance of your SSD. And there are no tweaks that will compensate for that. So the wise decision here is to go with the cheaper SSD.

bmpx
02-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Thank you - are you sure there isn't anything additionally affecting the SSD with the G73JH and it's HM55 chipset? If you google around you'll see there are limitations with this chipset and SSDs performing well in with 4K random reads and writes.

And from what I gather between the 840 Pro and M4 - (assuming here there isn't any HM55 issues) - that on average you won't see any performance differences except only when benchmarking and viewing results. The compelling reason I thought to go with the 840 Pro was when someone wrote that at the end of the month you can better see the difference, meaning over a months time the 840 Pro would have given me a few minutes, 10-20 idk - but some measurable amount of time. And for the amount of time I spend on a computer I felt this was worth $40.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

================================================== ===========
EDIT #1 ---
This link to a tweak authored by a "JJB" seems to be the best one for optimizing the G73/G73JH/HM55 chipset to enhance SSD speeds: http://forum.notebookreview.com/solid-state-drives-ssds-flash-storage/517917-how-improve-ssd-performance-intel-series-4-5-965-chipsets-jjb-tweak.html

Another tweak exists here (and is much simpler) - the caveat is the end result will disable Turbo Boost, which in my opinion is a step backwards: http://forum.notebookreview.com/solid-state-drives-ssds-flash-storage/517916-how-improve-ssd-performance-intel-series-4-5-965-chipsets-stamatisx-tweak.html

================================================== ===========
Edit #2 ----
All this information I'm linking above is from 2011 at best, maybe early 2012 - I just wonder if there were updates to the HM55 chipset for the G73 between then and now that fixes some of these issues. Maybe not? I sometimes wonder if these older forums are looked at much by those who pushed the boundaries of these laptops back in the day :) -- Any advice from older experience or people currently working with SSD upgrades would be greatly appreciated.

changer74
08-27-2015, 08:18 AM
hello, I have bought the crucial da 500GB and then the Samsung 850 500GB Ag With the crucial had serious compatibility problems, continuous reboots, the PC was unusable. Then I changed ssd and purchased the samsung. With the Samsung I solved the problem of restarts but I still have some problems at startup. Often at the first start it give me error, after that it operates normally. If the PC will work well I recommend to not venturing to change ssd but directly replace the notebook with a model that supports the SATA III.

I want to upgrade my HDD now to an SSD and am looking at the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD.

I am also reading across the net that my Intel HM55 chipset isn't well designed to work with fast SSDs. I see lots and lots of info on tweaks I can perform - both in relation to the G73JH and to laptops with the HM55 chipset in general. I understand it's a SATA II controller (and not SATA III) - but even compared to other chipsets that are SATA II the HM55 in the G73 is kind of inferior as far as I can tell.

I ask this..

1 - Is there a recent/2013/"best" SSD tweak guide available for the G73JH regarding SSDs? Is there one that people found to be the best at getting the HM55 to deal with with faster SSDs?

2 - With this limitation in the HM55 and G73 - would I be almost as good off getting the Crucial M4 256gb SSD instead of the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb? They're about a $40 difference - I don't care for reliability differences in these two models - I'm very curious regarding performance differences when running in a G73JH with a HM55 chipset.

Any advice in any direction here would be greatly appreciated