PDA

View Full Version : G75VX - is there a legal way to backup Windows 8?

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Hello,

I recently bought an ASUS G75VX and I noticed it comes with pre-installed Windows, but without installation disks - only a recovery partition.

This is EXTREMELY bad. I don't want to lose the software that I paid for (Window 8) because of a hardware failure (e.g. complete crash of the harddrive). Or what about if I want to install Windows on a totally different drive that I purchased separately?

Is there a legal way to create installation DVDs or flash drives from which I can re-install Windows 8 in case of a total hard-drive failure (e.g. using the recovery partition is not possible)? Downloading ISOs from torrents is out of the question.

Off-topic: why are we driven to piracy in order to get the rights we paid for?

In case any ASUS representative reads this: the situation is unacceptable. I paid 1600 EUR (discounted) for the laptop. I can't believe a blank DVD would be that expensive that ASUS decided not to provide an installation disk...

bignazpwns
02-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Yeah just download Windows 8 from Microsoft.

No serial no activation just install and good to go.

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Do you have any download link? This doesn't work: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

bignazpwns
02-28-2013, 08:09 AM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Download the program and it should pull your key from your system. If not its pretty easy to get the key out of your system. That's the joy of it now. Since its built in you just install and don't have to type anything or activate it.

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 08:14 AM
I already tried that and it doesn't work. You download a program (Windows8-Setup.exe) and when I input my key (found with Magical Jelly Bean Product Key Finder), it gives an error: "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8".

dparish2
02-28-2013, 08:23 AM
You shouldn't need a key honestly. I deleted mine, went to Windows 7, decided to go back to Windows 8, put in a Win 8 ISO on a bootable flash drive and it never asked for the key. That Windows 8 ISO was the Pro edition too, but when the key was pulled from the BIOS it just put the OEM version on.

Are you trying the upgrade path through windows 7? You need to format and install 8, that should work.

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 08:25 AM
My problem is that I don't have any ISO :(. I didn't receive any installation disks or download links, which is why I created this thread.

dparish2
02-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah lucky I still have access to my school account so it was free.... Sadly you may have to go the "alternate route" to get it installed (which I'm not condoning or suggesting in anyway).....

DRAKON
02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
You can simply create back-up image of your entire C: drive and maybe the original hidden restore drive and store them into external HDD or write them down to Blu-Ray disk in order to keep them safe. I know it's not the ideal way as having the install Windows 8 disk and serial number ( probably there is a way to make it work but you have to have the right installation disk for the serial number you extract ) but it's kind of alternative solution.

Programs capable of this I know of:

1. Macrium Reflect
2. Norton Ghost
3. Acronis True Image

As ASUS do not provide tool for burning restore DVD with the windows 8 I guess we must be creative. My personal decision is that as I bought additional SSD I have the windows, hidden system drives and the restore drive on both my hard drives ( the original HDD and the new SDD ). That way unless they both fail I always have the windows and the restore option ( in case I want to restore and copy again instead of only copy the windows to new drive ). Takes more space but requires less effort :)

Apexing
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
you have a key, so just obtain the disc/iso from any place online ;)

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 09:36 AM
I know I can always get the ISO from the torrents, but I don't want to. Thus the "legal" word in the title of this thread :)

camu
02-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Because you dont trust the ISO files or what? I think most torrent ISOs are no different from the "official" ISOs but just come with a workaround for the license. You dont need that because your windows 8 key should be embedded within the motherboard bios. Meaning you can run the ISO file and wouldn't require to fill in any key.

rewben
02-28-2013, 11:00 AM
@cvmocanu, there is a 'trick' to grab a w8 pro ISO using that w8 setup tool, convert it to allow w8 installation by yourself and then do a fresh install. whether this is legal or not, you decide.

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Trust is one of the reasons.

Feeling like a thief is another. While downloading is not (yet) illegal in Netherlands, I simply don't want to do it.

If there is no other way, I'll have to backup the repair partition...

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
@cvmocanu, there is a 'trick' to grab a w8 pro ISO using that w8 setup tool, convert it to allow w8 installation by yourself and then do a fresh install. whether this is legal or not, you decide.
Thank you, but I would consider that illegal. I paid for Windows 8 OEM, and not for Windows 8 Pro Retail. Wouldn't "converting it to allow installation" be normally called "cracking"?

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 11:04 AM
EDIT: removed double post

Bundy_Drop_Bear
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Shouldn't the key be on a sticker under the laptop, so downloading the Win8 32/64 ISO would be all
that is needed. i did it with my laptop, but good thing is i have a retail Win7 box and I just burned it removed the file that forces
the install to be WIn7 ultimate as my laptop came with Home Premium, they i just use the key on the bottom of laptop to reinstall
without all the bloat were that comes with the laptop.

cvmocanu
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Shouldn't the key be on a sticker under the laptop
It should, but only the laptop serial number is there. I think they put the OEM key in the BIOS nowadays.

so downloading the Win8 32/64 ISO would be all that is needed
And we return to my initial question: where can I get an ISO (or something else) for Windows 8 64bit OEM, legally?

rewben
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Thank you, but I would consider that illegal. I paid for Windows 8 OEM, and not for Windows 8 Pro Retail. That's probably why Microsoft put the restriction there in the first place.
Wouldn't "converting it to allow installation" be normally called "cracking"?

ok, got it :)

now, the alternative is what you said, to clone and back up the partitions, using Macrium Reflect. however, if you cloned the restore partition only, i am not sure if you can run it using this method (w7) (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26510-restore-G75-Laptop&p=197481&viewfull=1#post197481).

skiiermike
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
I already tried that and it doesn't work. You download a program (Windows8-Setup.exe) and when I input my key (found with Magical Jelly Bean Product Key Finder), it gives an error: "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8".

Hey cvmocanu,

This is a shot in the dark but it may help. Is it possible that your laptop is a Win 7 machine upgraded to Win 8? There should be a sticker on the bottom saying what was originally shipped with the laptop.

If so you will need to install Win 7 first and then Win 8. Seems stupid but Microsoft did this when they had that $14.99 upgrade promotion on for Win 8. It stops ppl from buying it when they didn't own Win 7.

Sorry if it doesn't help but I've run into this a few times now.

Edit: I must have loaded the screen before your last post...

With the ISO, your concerned about obtaining it legally. You can use any untouched ISO from any site. It's the license your paying for, not the physical copy. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

Bundy_Drop_Bear
02-28-2013, 01:58 PM
you can get a LEGIT WIN 8 ISO straight from Microsoft.com, just Google Win8 ISO and the first result should be the Microsoft site.
or any reputable site that you think you can't trust. as the guy above said you pay for the KEY not the physical disc. and when you get a OEM version you can legally download it as you have a legal key bound to your PC/laptop.

tkolarik
03-01-2013, 05:16 AM
Off-topic: why are we driven to piracy in order to get the rights we paid for?

Piracy is their definition. Those user agreements aren't always legal and enforceable, and sometimes they're just wrong!

tkolarik
03-01-2013, 05:20 AM
Norton Ghost doesn't work with Windows 8 yet!

Clintlgm
03-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Acronis does, also works with UEIF GPT partitions, its not free however, unless you happen to have purchased a WD disk lately a light version ships with their hard drives

cvmocanu
03-01-2013, 06:47 AM
you can get a LEGIT WIN 8 ISO straight from Microsoft.com
I tried. Like I said above, what I found was a setup executable which complained that my key is not good for the retail version of Windows. So if any of you know any URL from a reputable website (preferable microsoft.com) where I can download an ISO for Windows 8 OEM, I would be grateful.

Note that I don't have a MSDN subscription - that would have been easy.

Thanks.

cvmocanu
03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Acronis does, also works with UEIF GPT partitions, its not free however, unless you happen to have purchased a WD disk lately a light version ships with their hard drives
I do have a license for Acronis, so I will probably use it to make a backup.

Does anyone knows what exactly needs to be backed-up? I have 3 extra partitions: 1 of 300MB at the beginning of the hard-drive (marked "EFI system partition by Windows), 1 that follows after it of 900MB (marked "Recovery Partition"), and another at the end of the hard-drive of 20.01GB (marked as "Recovery Partition").
Do I have to backup all 3? Do you know why there are 2 recovery partitions?

cvmocanu
03-01-2013, 06:54 AM

Does anyone knows what exactly needs to be backed-up? I have 3 extra partitions: 1 of 300MB at the beginning of the hard-drive (marked "EFI system partition by Windows), 1 that follows after it of 900MB (marked "Recovery Partition"), and another at the end of the hard-drive of 20.01GB (marked as "Recovery Partition").

Vicodin
03-01-2013, 07:54 AM
I have a 1 TB External Hard Drive (USB 3.0 7200 RPM) That I back up all of my stuff to. Easy

rewben
03-01-2013, 08:15 AM

please read here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26175-Help-with-Windows-8-transfer-on-G75&p=194143&viewfull=1#post194143). in your case, just skip the data partition.

yes, there are 2 recovery partitions; the smaller one is from w8, to fulfill uefi partition scheme. the larger 20gb+ is from ASUS, in which a factory restore image is kept.

adde9400
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I did put in an SSD and installed win7 on it, and then formated the orginial harddrive, but not the recovery parts. Only the big parts, and i made it one big part also instead of two. And now when i try to recover win8 it's not possible, why is that?

I mean the recovery parts are stil there, i can get into some recovery mode, but then it just want me to put in a disc, or a USB drive where i have an recovery part... isn't the recovery parts on the harddrive suppose to have the whole win8 installation on it so it can install win8 again even after uninstalling it?

greypigeon
03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
You may also check this: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/21978-Windows-7-8-OEM-Recovery-Partition-Creator

Features
Create a complete image of the Windows installation
Official Microsoft method for system recovery with some modifications
Make use of built-in Windows 7/8 software but with added options in a custom menu
Bit-Locker is supported (but not TrueCrypt)
Support for UEFI/GPT
USB recovery media creator in Windows 7/8
Support the creator of a custom "Refresh" image under Windows 8
On Windows 8, you can regain the space used on the hard drive once a recovery media has been created

Or this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matt-harrington/archive/2012/04/01/create-a-windows-8-refresh-image-with-recimg-exe.aspx

Clintlgm
03-01-2013, 02:33 PM
2012 with the latest version updates and 2013 will work for Images on GPT Disk, I would create a Disk Image and then set up Partition Images if you want and then set up your back up routine how ever you have decided to handle it.

Clintlgm
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Well it sounds like you deleted the partition that had the actual recovery files? Now you will have to download the ISO from MS and create a USB install disk (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=). When you use it your Key will still be imbedded in your BIOS and automatically allow installation. I think Rewben's notes cover the whole process

Draugrs
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
I cloned the WIN 8 from the 1TB HDD that came with my G75VX onto an OCZ 240GB Agility 3 SSD. I then removed the 1TB and stored it away. I placed the SSD into the 1TB slot tray and installed a 7200 spin 1TB in the 2nd slot tray. I did the clone using the free version of Macrium Reflect. It worked without a hitch. I did not image the restore partitions onto the SSD. I only imaged the 300MB partition for the OS and the OS partition itself.

Note: I am not sure why but Macrium will have a 1GB unallocated space after cloning process. It resides between 300MB and OS partition. I am not sure why nor can I extend it onto the OS partition. If anyone knows why or how to prevent would be greatly appreciated....

cvmocanu
03-15-2013, 06:52 AM
I decided to bite the bullet after all and ordered Windows 8 Pro (comes with DVD :) ). I assume I'm not the only one paying for Windows twice.

Anyway, being a company laptop (for software development), I wanted to have Hyper-V and the ability to join a domain controller, in case I need them.

pathfindercod
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Can you fresh install from the upgrade win 8 pro DVD?

Clintlgm
03-15-2013, 01:16 PM
I think yes, the version installed is dependent on the Product Key

pathfindercod
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
I used the Macrium Free version and cloned to a SSD. I did all the partitions and it went through 100%. It boots and everything works. However if i hit F9 to do a system reload it pops up with a windows error path about a file. Then after I reboot to go back into windows it wont boot anymore after I tried f9. It goes right back to the file error. Keep in mind it all works fine till i try f9, then I have to reclone again.. Any ideas? Does the free version not work with making the recovery partition?

adham_dehe
03-16-2013, 10:02 AM
May i ask. Is there any way our recovery hidden partition can be corrupted? I bought G55 with window 7 pre installed

cvmocanu
03-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Can you fresh install from the upgrade win 8 pro DVD?
When I bought it, I though: "of course!".

It turns out it's not that simple, because of Microsoft's decision to put the product key in the BIOS and to not ask for it during setup if it's found in BIOS.
Which means, I installed from the Windows 8 Pro DVD, but I kept getting Windows 8 (non-pro) since the key in the BIOS is not for pro.

I actually managed to get it installed after all, but it took me a while until I found the correct solution:

Here are the steps for people that what to do this:
(1) Create a bootable Flash drive to use it for installation. This is required because we need to put the product key in the installation itself, to prevent Windows from reading it from BIOS. I used the steps from here: http://www.blogsolute.com/create-windows-8-usb-bootable-pendrive-uefi-boot/25988/ :
- type in a cmd.exe window: diskpart.exe This command will open diskpart in another CMD Window. Below commands will be typed in diskpart window.
- list disk With this Command you can view the list of storage devices. Select the pendrive, be careful!
- select disk 1 With this command you are selecting the your Pendrive. In my case its 1 but it may vary if you have more than one internal storage disks or several pendrives jacked in. BE VERY CAREFULL TO PICK THE FLASH DRIVE AND NOT ANOTHER DISK !!!
- clean Clean the selected partition.
- create partition primary Set the partition as primary.
- select partition 1 Select partition. Number depends on your disk usage.
- active Make the disk active.
- format quick fs=fat32 Format pendrive in fat 32.
- assign It will automatically assign a letter to drive. Check the drive letter. In my case it was I.
- exit - This will the exit diskpart window.

After this, copy all the files from the installation DVD (or from an ISO, if you have that):
xcopy Q:\* X:\ /s /e

where Q: is the DVD and X: is the flash drive

(2) create an EI.cfg file in X:\sources with the following content:

[EditionID]

[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

(3) create an PID.txt file in X:\sources with the following content:

[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Use your actual product key instead of those XXXX-s.

Also, make sure the files have the correct extension. Because Windows didn't show the file extensions, I created by mistake PID.txt.txt and then wondered why it doesn't work.

More information about those files can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx

After this, boot from the (UEFI) flash drive and happily install the version of Windows you actually paid for :)

I did a clean install by formatting the OS partition. I didn't touched any other partition (like the System or the Recovery partitions).

This worked for me. I hope it helps some other pool souls trying to install Windows 8 Pro and getting Windows 8 instead.

P.S.: in hindsight, I have doubts if buying Windows 8 Pro was worth it. Probably doing partition backup (using Macrium or Acronis) would have been a better idea. If you don't need Hyper-V or the ability to join a domain controller, it's probably not worth buying Windows 8 Pro if you already have Windows 8.

Clintlgm
03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
This is a pretty good and Though explanation some one should copy this to Rewben's upgrade guide or just sticky it?????

User_n
03-20-2013, 04:11 AM
@ OP.
I've migrated recovery partition to a 32 gig USB key using Asus official app that came with laptop for this... Frustrating fact was that it asked me for win 8 product key after successful recovering win8 to and SSD, and I naively thought it will work with the original win8 key that I pulled out from computer with another program, sadly to say it didn't work and was nothing easy like that.

After this failure I've used advanced token manager to backup my entire product retail info. I've read somewhere that in win 8 it is not just the product key who will activate your windows entirely and there is more to this. Don't know for sure...

Downside I still do not know does it works, and will it work with win 8 since I am running perfect win 7 ultimate on my lap...
Anyways if you have time you might try something like that