PDA

View Full Version : Random shutdowns on G55VW

zltippett
02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
I recently purchased the G55VW-DH71 and have had mostly good experiences with the games I've played. The problem I'm running in to is random shutdowns. In the first week I've had the laptop it has shutdown randomly 3 times so far. I felt like something is not right so I've already submitted a replacement request through Amazon. They're sending out a new one so no big deal.

It just concerns me because the shutdowns are completely random and I'm worried that this will cause some disk corruption and I'll start loosing data. I've already started backing up my data just in case. The laptop has shutdown while playing a game, reading news through a Windows 8 app, and another time just browsing the web.

My question is, how common is this, or did I just get a bad laptop? I just want to make sure I'm not returning it for the wrong reason. Meaning, I hope I'm not overlooking something simple.

Thanks!

Apexing
02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
could you go into windows log and see if there is an error in system or program tab in there.
it might make it easier to help you that way.

zltippett
02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
could you go into windows log and see if there is an error in system or program tab in there.
it might make it easier to help you that way.

I checked the system error log and found where it lists every shutdown that occurred. Here's what I get.

1. The previous system shutdown at 9:31:43 PM on ‎2/‎27/‎2013 was unexpected.

2. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Before error 2 is always this error.

File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (6.2, ‎2012‎-‎07‎-‎25T21:27:33.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

I'm thinking that's not a problem as I looked up what npsvctrig is and it seems to be a Windows service that's required.

What specifically should I be looking for besides the two errors I've posted? I checked the thread on Random restarts, but that's a little different than what I'm seeing since I'm not using Hibernate, only standby.

Thanks!

Edit: The application error log doesn't seem to have any errors that match up with the power down errors in the system log.

Pitcher@asus
03-01-2013, 02:49 AM
are you trying restore os? is it happen again?

Apexing
03-01-2013, 06:18 AM
okay, then it does not seem to be an error in windows.
does it randomly shut down on both only when running battery, or only running from ac ?

zltippett
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
okay, then it does not seem to be an error in windows.
does it randomly shut down on both only when running battery, or only running from ac ?

I never actually used it much off AC, so always on AC. I actually just got the replacement from Amazon, so we'll see how this goes. Hopefully it was just a faulty laptop and all will be OK.

Thanks anyways!

dstrakele
03-02-2013, 10:33 PM
A defective power adapter, bad battery, or even a poor source of electrical power can result in unexpected shutdowns. Since you report the problem occurs when plugged in, a defective power adapter could be the most likely cause.

Alternatively, if the shutdown occurs while on battery, it could be a battery calibration problem where the battery monitor in Windows believes the charge remaining in the battery is more than actually exists. As a result, the battery runs out of power while Windows hasn't even warned of a low battery. Battery Calibration can resolve this type of issue.

Overheating is another common cause of unexpected shutdowns, particularly in this forum, where gaming stresses the GPU and raises its temperature to the point where the laptop shuts down to prevent damage. This is caused by insufficient cooling due to poor application of thermal paste, old thermal paste, fan issues, and/or dust clogging fan intakes or exhausts.

Since your issue occurred during browsing and you didn't report elevated fan speeds, I believe it more likely to be a power issue.

zltippett
03-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your reply. I will keep those things in mind while I try out the new replacement. It's unfortunate that I may not ever know what the problem may have been, unless it occurs again. But, I figured since I haven't had the laptop more than two weeks, it was a good idea to return it to Amazon for now.

Thanks again!

A defective power adapter, bad battery, or even a poor source of electrical power can result in unexpected shutdowns. Since you report the problem occurs when plugged in, a defective power adapter could be the most likely cause.

Alternatively, if the shutdown occurs while on battery, it could be a battery calibration problem where the battery monitor in Windows believes the charge remaining in the battery is more than actually exists. As a result, the battery runs out of power while Windows hasn't even warned of a low battery. Battery Calibration can resolve this type of issue.

Overheating is another common cause of unexpected shutdowns, particularly in this forum, where gaming stresses the GPU and raises its temperature to the point where the laptop shuts down to prevent damage. This is caused by insufficient cooling due to poor application of thermal paste, old thermal paste, fan issues, and/or dust clogging fan intakes or exhausts.

Since your issue occurred during browsing and you didn't report elevated fan speeds, I believe it more likely to be a power issue.

dstrakele
03-05-2013, 03:52 PM
But, I figured since I haven't had the laptop more than two weeks, it was a good idea to return it to Amazon for now.

I think you figured right...

zltippett
03-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Ok, looks like this is happening on the replacement laptop as well. I'm starting to think this may be some software issue as I can't believe I'd get two defective laptops with the exact same problem.

Here's what I've done so far. Yesterday I installed some software updates for the Audio, Video, Bluetooth, WiFi and BIOS. I'm guessing the problems may not be related to the software drivers so my first guess was BIOS. I went from the pre-installed BIOS level of 213, to the latest 217. I've done this on other Asus laptops with no issues, so I figured it would be safe.

I think this problem started happening after the flash to 217. I used these instructions (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22444-G55VW-16Gb-1600MHz&p=163278&viewfull=1#post163278) on how to get back to the recovery BIOS. It worked without any problems so I'm back to the pre-installed BIOS of 213.

Hopefully that will fix my problem, otherwise I'm really not sure what else to try.

dstrakele
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
You should've attempted to reproduce the unexpected shutdowns while the system was in a stock, out-of-the-box configuration. By installing driver updates, you've complicated the troubleshooting. If possible, use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before you made any software changes.

Let's start at the beginning with a more detailed description of the unexpected shutdown.

1) How long does it take for an unexpected shutdown to occur? What are you doing on the laptop when it occurs? What applications are you running when it occurs?

2) Does the system shut down immediately, like someone pulled the plug? OR does it Bluescreen and restart? OR does it become unresponsive, and you have to shut it down by holding down the Power button?

3) Are there any error messages? If so, what is the exact text?

4) What are the CPU and GPU temperatures at idle? What are they when the shutdown occurs?

zltippett
03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Sorry, I didn't mention that. I waited a week before trying to install the updates. I was suspecting that could be the problem so this time I waited a full week using the system normally. During that time I did my normal routines, browsing the web, some heavy and light gaming, putting the system in to standby, etc... Not once during that week did the machine have any issues, it ran like a champ.

So, I'm hoping putting the BIOS back to the original build, that may help me figure out what this may be related to. Also, I kept track of what drivers I've changed this time as well.

To answer your questions,
1. It happened this morning after I woke up. Last night I closed the lid and it went to standby. And it seemed to happen within 15 - 20 minutes after starting from standby.

2. The system shuts down just like someone pulling the plug out, straight to power off. No blue screens, unresponsiveness or anything unusual, just power off.

3. No error message that I could see during or before the power down occurred, but the event log shows the following:

Well, here's the order of events...

a. 10:16 PM 3/8 - The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Button or Lid
b. 7:16 AM 3/9 - The system has returned from a low power state.
c. 7:20 AM 3/9 - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
d. 7:31 AM 3/9 - The previous system shutdown at 7:31:48 AM on ‎3/‎9/‎2013 was unexpected.

Not sure why that extra shutdown showed up, it really only shutdown once this morning. I'm thinking it was the second one at 7:31 that I experienced.

So, that's all I got on this issue so far. As I said, I've already flashed back to 213, the original state from 217, if that doesn't work I guess I can start rolling back to the original drivers.

Thanks again!

You should've attempted to reproduce the unexpected shutdowns while the system was in a stock, out-of-the-box configuration. By installing driver updates, you've complicated the troubleshooting.

Let's start at the beginning with a more detailed description of the unexpected shutdown.

1) How long does it take for an unexpected shutdown to occur? What are you doing on the laptop when it occurs?

2) Does the system shut down immediately, like someone pulled the plug? OR does it Bluescreen and restart? OR does it become unresponsive, and you have to shut it down by holding down the Power button?

3) Are there any error messages? If so, what is the exact text?

dstrakele
03-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Interesting! You should check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23087-***SOLVED***-G75VW-Reboot-after-Hibernation. Maybe it is a related issue.

Did the other unexpected shutdowns you experienced on your 1st G55 also occur after the system was Resumed from Sleep or Hibernation?

zltippett
03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
As far as I could remember, it seemed to happen after resuming. I read that thread when I had my first G55, but my machine isn't hibernating. I checked that and it's set to go to standby on lid close. I also checked and hibernate is set to never in the power settings. But, even so, I'll look in to that thread if the BIOS back level doesn't help.

Thanks!

Interesting! You should check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23087-***SOLVED***-G75VW-Reboot-after-Hibernation. Maybe it is a related issue.

Did the other unexpected shutdowns you experienced on your 1st G55 also occur after the system was Resumed from Sleep or Hibernation?

dstrakele
03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
The behavior is very similar - the system goes down like someone pulled the plug. AND it is BIOS-related, as you currently suspect. At any rate, you now have a potential reproduction scenario you could use to test.

You could. also check if you have a "Power Off Energy Saving" setting or something similar in the "Advanced" section of your current BIOS, and whether it is set to "Enabled".

I've also seen other threads where Lid-activated power management doesn't always behave as configured.

Are you running Windows 7 or 8?

zltippett
03-09-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm running Windows 8. Just for the heck of it, I tried doing the steps in the thread you linked to previously. We'll see how it goes. I sure hope Asus releases an update since this appears to be BIOS related.

The behavior is very similar - the system goes down like someone pulled the plug. AND it is BIOS-related, as you currently suspect. At any rate, you now have a potential reproduction scenario you could use to test.

I've also seen other threads where Lid-activated power management doesn't always behave as configured.

Are you running Windows 7 or 8?

dstrakele
03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I sure hope Asus releases an update since this appears to be BIOS related.

I think what a lot of folks fail to realize is they would probably never experience any BIOS-related problems if they remained on the BIOS that originally shipped with their computer.

I suspect you updated your BIOS just because a new version was there and not because you had an issue with the original BIOS.

zltippett
03-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Yes, I'm guilty of this. Although, of all the laptops I've had, this would be the first issue I've had with a BIOS update. I even own another Asus non gaming laptop that's a year old and never had any issues updating the BIOS, during or afterwards.

I think what a lot of folks fail to realize is they would probably never experience any BIOS-related problems if they remained on the BIOS that originally shipped with their computer.

I suspect you updated your BIOS just because a new version was there and not because you had an issue with the original BIOS.

zltippett
04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
I've experienced this problem again. It hasn't happened for a while, then it started happening again. Here are some more observations.

The complete shutdowns seem to occur after I close the lid which should place the machine in to Stand By. After I see the blinking light indicating the machine is in Stand By, I will remove the plug from the laptop and place it in another room. After a period of time, I'll plug the machine back in to the wall and start it up again. Now, since it seemed random, I'm starting to think it may not be. This problem seems to happen almost exactly 5 minutes after starting up from a Stand By state, also after being removed from the power source while on Stand By.

I've tried many different things, updating everything, including BIOS (again). I've now tried removing the Power4Gear and InstantOn software.

Any other ideas? This is the second brand new laptop I've had this problem on. I returned my first thinking it was defective, but now I'm thinking it's something related to Stand By and/or removing the power cord while on Stand By.

dstrakele
04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Do you have a "Power Off Energy Saving" setting or something similar in the "Advanced" section of your current BIOS?

If so, is it set to "Enabled"?

zltippett
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Yes, just checked and I do have that option and it is set to enabled. I have tried the tip in the G75VW Reboot after Hibernation (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23087-***SOLVED***-G75VW-Reboot-after-Hibernation&country=&status=) thread. Not sure if maybe I'm doing it wrong, or I have a different problem. I decided to put InstantOn and Power4Gear back on so I can see if there is a way to reproduce this. Later on I guess I can try putting it in Stand By then unplugging from the wall to see what happens.

Any ideas to try would be great!

Thanks!

Do you have a "Power Off Energy Saving" setting or something similar in the "Advanced" section of your current BIOS?

If so, is it set to "Enabled"?

GooseYArd
06-17-2013, 09:56 PM
I have exactly the same problem. I started with Win8/Bios 213, flashed 217 hoping that one of the builds after 213 resolved it. Downgraded to Win7, same problem. The problem occurs more often when I set the "Power Off Energy Saving" feature to disabled, but as in your case, it only happens after a suspend/resume cycle, somewhere between about 5 and 10 minutes after resume. I ran a memcheck battery, etc., nada.

I've made no modifications to the machine, and I have two different power supplies- the original, and a Delta equivalent, and have had shutdowns with both.

The machine logs nothing, there's no correlation with any kind of usage. I'm connected to the power supply 90% of the time when it happens, but I don't use this machine on battery alone very often, so I don't think that's a useful statistic.

The machine boots quickly enough that I'm just living with the problem for now, but it sucks a lot.

zltippett
06-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I have exactly the same problem. I started with Win8/Bios 213, flashed 217 hoping that one of the builds after 213 resolved it. Downgraded to Win7, same problem. The problem occurs more often when I set the "Power Off Energy Saving" feature to disabled, but as in your case, it only happens after a suspend/resume cycle, somewhere between about 5 and 10 minutes after resume. I ran a memcheck battery, etc., nada.

I've made no modifications to the machine, and I have two different power supplies- the original, and a Delta equivalent, and have had shutdowns with both.

The machine logs nothing, there's no correlation with any kind of usage. I'm connected to the power supply 90% of the time when it happens, but I don't use this machine on battery alone very often, so I don't think that's a useful statistic.

The machine boots quickly enough that I'm just living with the problem for now, but it sucks a lot.

Try removing Power4Gear, InstantOn and LiveUpdate. I tried removing all of these and I haven't had the problem in over a month. I'm not exactly sure LiveUpdate could be the problem, but I never used it. I'm guessing the problem is related to Power4Gear, InstantOn or both.

So, give that a try, it can't hurt. If it doesn't fix the problem you can always add them back.

Good luck!

chiemfs
06-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Hey,
I had with problem with a different asus notebook, an s56. I got a new replacement and it happened again, on the 2nd day with nothing new installed or modified, albeit according to the log it happened the first day too without but I guess I just forgot when I shut it down and when I didn't. I'm removing the asus programs now but just wanted to check up with you to see how it was going for you and if it worked.

When i brought the first laptop in (several times), they never could replicate the problem. It's good (well bad), to see someone else has had this random shutdown problem and on their 2nd new notebook.

zltippett
06-28-2013, 06:06 PM
So far so good, still seems to be working well without the applications I listed (Power4Gear, InstantOn and LiveUpdate). I kind of wish I knew which one was causing the problem, but I got tired of troubleshooting. I don't think any of those applications are absolutly needed since Windows has many of these features built in.

Good luck!

Hey,
I had with problem with a different asus notebook, an s56. I got a new replacement and it happened again, on the 2nd day with nothing new installed or modified, albeit according to the log it happened the first day too without but I guess I just forgot when I shut it down and when I didn't. I'm removing the asus programs now but just wanted to check up with you to see how it was going for you and if it worked.

When i brought the first laptop in (several times), they never could replicate the problem. It's good (well bad), to see someone else has had this random shutdown problem and on their 2nd new notebook.

cambrianMan
07-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I have been having similar problems with my G55VW (with Windows 8).
It is probably not random, as it seems to be within ten minutes of resuming from a lid close induced sleep.
The laptop has always been on AC when this happens (I haven't been using it on battery much in the past few months).

I tried to reproduce the problem on purpose but was not able to: by closing the lid, waiting a minute, then opening the lid and pressing the power button. I used it for over 15 minutes but no sudden shutdown.
So the issue is "random" in that I don't know what other factor is causal--perhaps total time of sleep?

Laptop info as of 11:06 AM 7/6/2013:
BIOS v.214
BIOS setting: "Power Off Energy Saving": ENABLED (also tried turning it off; reboot; turn back on).

- LiveUpdate is installed and running, however it claims no updates have ever actually installed.
- ASUS InstantOn is installed, but the windows service is disabled.
- Power4Gear is on and set to High Performance with these settings for PLugged in:
Dim the display: 1 hour
Turn off the display: 2 hours
Put the computer to sleep: Never
Lid close action: Sleep

Sample Windows System Log entry for resuming from sleep:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter
Date: 7/6/2013 1:05:58 PM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: [omitted]
Description:
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ?2013?-?07?-?06T17:05:20.908996700Z
Wake Time: ?2013?-?07?-?06T17:05:48.327612000Z

Wake Source: Power Button

Sample Windows System Log entries (after powering it back on):

Source: EventLog
Date: 7/6/2013 9:47:36 AM
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 11:30:52 PM on ?7/?5/?2013 was unexpected.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 7/6/2013 9:46:49 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

zltippett
07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Yes, those are the same errors I was getting. Have you tried removing any of those applications (InstantOn, Power4Gear or LiveUpdate)? I have had them uninstalled for over two months and no problems so far.

Good luck!

cambrianMan
07-06-2013, 09:08 PM
I am starting by disabling Asus P4G. InstantOn has been disabled for several months.
If that doesn't work, the next variable is disabling LiveUpdate.

cambrianMan
07-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Well, exactly one week later and a sudden shutdown happened again.
Now I am disabling Asus LiveUpdate (disabling via the Windows Task Scheduler). I'll see if that affects the issue.

MauricioNO
07-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Nice job, keep us posted ;)

zltippett
07-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, exactly one week later and a sudden shutdown happened again.
Now I am disabling Asus LiveUpdate (disabling via the Windows Task Scheduler). I'll see if that affects the issue.

At some point, I updated my BIOS to 217. I don't think this matters as I had trouble on the default level 214 also. I'm currently at level 217 with all of the things you're trying uninstalled. I'm interested to see if disabling helps versus uninstalling.

Could be a combination of 217 and uninstalling some or all of those applications.

Good luck!

cambrianMan
08-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Almost a month later, and today a sudden unwarranted shutdown happened a minute after coming out of sleep.

I guess the next thing is to try disabling Power4Gear. (Actually I uninstalled it; not sure if it can be merely disabled.)

bikenut
09-05-2013, 10:54 PM
I have the exact same problem on my 6 month old G75VW.
I guess I'll monitor this thread to see what others are finding out about this.
This site seems to be my only resourse to work on problems.
The Asus.com support site, the forum, has pretty much nothing to help a user with just about any problem.
I've sent a technical inquiry form to that site to see if anybody there has any ideas or cares, we see.
Thank God this site exists, I've sorted out a few other minor issues with help from this site.

bikenut
09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Here is the response from Asus.com support on this issue of sudden shutdowns.

For this issue, please reset your unit for a try firstly.
Remove the battery and disconnect the power adapter. Press and hold your power button for 15 - 25 seconds. Release the power button. Put the battery back in place.

Then please restore the BIOS for a try.
Please restart the computer, enter the BIOS by rapidly tapping the F2 key during power-up. Switch to "Save & Exit" menu and select Restore Default. Press F10 save and exit for a try.

If the problem persists, it's maybe hardware related issue, you will need to contact our RMA (Return Material Authorization) department for assistance.
You need to submit the RMA request on the following website, and the RMA department will follow up the case, then they will send a RMA number and the address of the Repair Centre to you later.
So, I'll start with the first step and do the battery removal and power button press.
I'll monitor things before the I'll restore the default BIOS.
Let you know how it goes.

zltippett
09-06-2013, 11:52 PM
All of the applications I mentioned earlier in the thread seemed to have helped my problem. It's been 7 months since I started this thread and I haven't had this problem in that length of time.

When I sent a note to Asus support, I didn't get anything like that back, they basically told me to do the Windows 8 restore, which I didn't want to do so I uninstalled their software which appears to have worked so far.

Good luck!

Here is the response from Asus.com support on this issue of sudden shutdowns.

For this issue, please reset your unit for a try firstly.
Remove the battery and disconnect the power adapter. Press and hold your power button for 15 - 25 seconds. Release the power button. Put the battery back in place.

Then please restore the BIOS for a try.
Please restart the computer, enter the BIOS by rapidly tapping the F2 key during power-up. Switch to "Save & Exit" menu and select Restore Default. Press F10 save and exit for a try.

If the problem persists, it's maybe hardware related issue, you will need to contact our RMA (Return Material Authorization) department for assistance.
You need to submit the RMA request on the following website, and the RMA department will follow up the case, then they will send a RMA number and the address of the Repair Centre to you later.
So, I'll start with the first step and do the battery removal and power button press.
I'll monitor things before the I'll restore the default BIOS.
Let you know how it goes.

bikenut
09-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks Zltippett:
I'm not using Power4Gear now, changed to balanced setting.
Only been a few days, but no issues so far.
I have noticed that my battery stays 100% charged now, it didn't when using Power4Gear.
If this is not the fix for this, I'll start uninstalling the software you listed, one at a time, and see how that goes.
Personally don't really care if I have stuff installed or not.
Glad to hear you were able to fix it.
I doubt I have to return my laptop, I've got a feeling it's one or more of the software programs.
Spent to much time setting this baby up the way I like to just ship it off with trying everything.

I notice Asus.com support offers a couple of basic troubleshooting tips and then seems to always suggest RMA it.
I bet their support is out sourced and wash their hands of it. That RMA site must have a lot of hardware returned.

bikenut
09-11-2013, 09:35 AM
My G75VW ran for about a week, then just shutdown about 5 minutes after starting up by opening the lid. It is using instant on.
I had uninstalled Power2Go, so that didn't help.
I'll now uninstall Asus instant on and monitor that status.

Bubba
10-08-2014, 01:59 AM
So has anyone found a sulution for this yet? I have a G55 that has been randomly shutting down since I purchased it two years ago. It has been replaced a couple of times and has been in for repair numerous times. They have never done anything to it to fix it when it is in for repair as they can find nothing wrong with it.

RaduM
11-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Just found this thread, Bubba. My G55VW-DS71 has the same problem, started early this spring. Random shutdown out of nowhere.
I uninstalled Live Update last night, let's see if it helps. Checked the BIOS, power saving is on. Turned off then on again.
Have latest patches, BIOS, etc. I suppose next will be to uninstall the ASUS utilities.
P.S. ASUS support was no help. They managed to remotely wipe out my laptop (reinstall) made no difference, other than me having to reinstall my applications.

Bubba
12-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi RaduM

Any luck yet? I sent my unit in again back in early October. They refused to acknowledge that there was an issue. They kept telling me that it passed all their tests. Of course it did, the power offs are random!!! While it was at their shop they changed the hard drive. I am not sure why as this does not seem like a hard drive issue to me. The computer has worked great since I got it back. That is until this morning, yet again another power off. I am ready to junk this piece!!!

Is there anyone from Asus on here that can help me? I am getting nowhere with the so called "Customer Service Manager".