PDA

View Full Version : ASUS g73jh and BSOD and old game on STEAM

b00seven
07-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi guys, hope someone can help me here. I've been experiencing a few crashes and other problems recently. I've been playing a somewhat older game on steam: Neverwinter nights 2, on online servers. I haven't had any problems with this laptop before, and have been playing much newer games and MMO's (this thing has been running 5-10 hours a day for the last year and a half... work/gaming/research, etc...). Problems seem to be getting progressively worse in the last few weeks....

I've done some research, and it seems this happens in rare cases, some ppl post that its a sound driver issue... others say to tweak bios... I really don't want to mess with any of that stuff. I'm working in Brazil this year, and it will be almost impossible for me to find tech support for this model if I screw something up.

some history... Originally the thing started dying, as though overheating... I started elevating it so that the vents are at about a 25degree angle upward... stopped that problem. More recently normal crashes and lock ups (sometimes several a day, sometimes one or none a day). I can usually CTRL+alt+del and close the game via task manager... More recently, these freezes are slowing down all my programs. sometimes CTRLaltDEL takes care of it sometimes not, and sometimes I'm getting BSOD now... When I reboot, sometimes it asks me for a boot disk... I disconnect the battery for a minute and it boots normally.... The CPU has gone through 2 serious crashes in the last month, leading to 2 system recoveries,

I ran a furmark test and it runs at 96C under stress (under what it says to worry about in the overheating forums). I do feel as though the fans are a little weak compared to what they used to be (the left one - when facing the keyboard - seems real weak, barely blowing).

I'm starting to get worried that I'm doing progressive damage... Recently its been locking up on movies as well (realplayer). I've only been playing NWN2 recently ... this morning the CPU locked up twice while just browsing the internet (mozilla). I'm going to take a break from the game for a few days (maybe play Shogun 2 or LOTRO)... Someone mentioned to me that NWN2 has issues with multi-core processors (not designed for them). Still trying to figure out how to map it to one core.

Any recommendations? I've been considering a f9 recovery but need to get an external drive first... If my FURMARK test was 96 I should be ok on heat... Recommendations? any other questions I can answer?

Thanks in advance

b00seven
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but on the "resource monitor" my CPU frequency is 60-90% at idle and 95-120% under load...

Chastity@ASUS
07-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Can you post a pic of your GPU-Z screen plz?

xeromist
07-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Also, if you haven't recently I would make sure to blast compressed air through the vents. It may not fix your issue but laptops need periodic cleaning anyway.