PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to Clean Install Windows 8 - Need to Convert MBR to GIUD

tkolarik
03-02-2013, 05:42 AM
I'm fixing to convert from Windows Home Server to Server Essentials 2012 so I can now backup a computer to the server that has GUID partition structure. So I have decided to put Windows 8 back on and I did a fresh install to my SSD and partitioned it as MBR. I would assume that I turn on UEFI in bios I would have that option when selecting the install partition during Windows 8 installation.

Has anyone actually done this?

Karrde
03-02-2013, 08:37 AM
You can't select during installation.
You have to boot your Windows 8 DVD (or USB) into MBR mode to install it at a MBR partition.
Or boot it into UEFI mode to install it at a GUID partition.

rewben
03-02-2013, 04:18 PM
boot with uefi install; use shift+f10 to bring up the command prompt and do a diskpart > select disk > clean; now the target disk is cleaned you can proceed with the installation and it should be able to convert the disk to gpt disk first.

tkolarik
03-07-2013, 09:51 PM
This isn't working so far... First I upgraded to bios 210. Then, put the boot disk in another machine and deleted partitions and converted the disk to GPT disk. When I boot, with Windows 8 disk, it tells me that I cannot install Windows on the partitions buecause they are GPT. I can delete exitting partitionas and install but they end up being MBR partitions. The bios shows UEFI enabled.

bignazpwns
03-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Easy way it boot to another hdd then use the drive manager to clear the drive you wanna convert.

tkolarik
03-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Weird thing...I used the DVD of a free Enterprise Windows 8 version I had been holding onto, and it worked fine after creating GPT disks using a USB SATA cable.

rewben
03-08-2013, 09:22 AM
hm.. not sure what happened. i used usb install stick; boot and press shift+f10 to bring up the console and clear every thing first before i proceed. i always have uefi install.