PDA

View Full Version : G75VW USB 3 Driver Question

Callmebobzilla
03-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Hello all,

So I've come across a fairly irksome problem as I've really getting to use my G75. On my old computer (Dell Studio 15) I was using Symantec Ghost to make full system images for a backup utility and everything thing was working as it should be. However when I first tried to make an image of my new G75 using Ghost, I discovered something...

Ghost works (at least at the home user level) by creating a boot disk, which can either be installed on a usb flashdrive, or burned to a disk. This boot disk is basically running a version of windowsPE (version 2.2 I think) which starts out looking basically like command prompt. When you create the boot disk, Ghost stores prewritten commands which will automatically launch their GUI for ease of use.

Alright so down to the problem. Ghost can't see my external hard drive...

I realized that the windowsPE that the boot disk is running does not have any usb 3 drivers pre-installed with it. No drivers means that this laptop, which only has usb 3 ports, cannot currently use Ghost.

My questions are:

1. Can windowsPE be told to initialize a driver if I can figure out how to navigate to it?
2. Where exactly ARE the usb 3 drivers stored on disk? (everything is set to default folders, I haven't had the time to monkey with that yet.
3. If I can find the folder containing the drivers, there will likely be a bunch of different files. Exactly what files do I need to initialize? What file extension am I looking for?

All of my drivers are up to date as far as I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

tkolarik
03-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Ghost 15 is usually run from within Windows to create the image and restored vie the restore disk that is separate from the install disk when you buy it. You must be using an older version of Ghost. Actually the best version is still Ghost 2003. But the last time i ran Ghost to backup from from CD it had no problem finding USB hard drives without loading any additional drivers. It the bios is set for USB 3.0 only, you may need to change it. I beta tested Ghost 15 when it was released like 3 years ago after being ported to Windows 7. There are better products out there now, even Windows 7 backup feature works well to make a system image.

Callmebobzilla
03-03-2013, 03:23 AM
Ghost 15 is usually run from within Windows to create the image and restored vie the restore disk that is separate from the install disk when you buy it. You must be using an older version of Ghost. Actually the best version is still Ghost 2003. But the last time i ran Ghost to backup from from CD it had no problem finding USB hard drives without loading any additional drivers. It the bios is set for USB 3.0 only, you may need to change it. I beta tested Ghost 15 when it was released like 3 years ago after being ported to Windows 7. There are better products out there now, even Windows 7 backup feature works well to make a system image.

Honestly I'm not sure which version of Ghost I have. I went half and half with a friend buying it last year. I couldn't actually install the full software as I'm still running Home premium. I was however able to install the utilities, which was enough for me to make a usb boot disk. Now that you mention it it doesn't make any sense for me not to be able to see my external when trying to select a backup location inside the Ghost OS, as the OS itself is running on a flash drive..... I may need to look into what exactly is going on here again.... I'll post an update after I have a chance to look at things again.

As far as looking into a different backup / imaging solution... It wouldn't be my first choice. Apart from this current issue I have been more than happy with the job Ghost has done. It also compresses the images which Windows backup will not do. I also know that ghost explorer works with gives me a fair amount of utility to the software.

Thanks for your prompt advice.

Clintlgm
03-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Norton Ghost does not support UEIF/GPT disk, If your on Win 8 you will need the MS default USB 3.0 driver, If your on Win 7 you will need the Intel 3.0 driver. Acronis does, but it a paid for program, Mecurm (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) is free and also supports GPT Disk
Also your USB 3.0 ports also support USB 2.0 which should be recognized by your BIOS. Also it seems that USB Drive formatted to Fat 32 seem to have better luck connecting.
I'm not sure about using a Win PE disk since its not needed for anything on the G75 that I do our use.

Callmebobzilla
03-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Norton Ghost does not support UEIF/GPT disk, If your on Win 8 you will need the MS default USB 3.0 driver, If your on Win 7 you will need the Intel 3.0 driver. Acronis does, but it a paid for program, Mecurm (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) is free and also supports GPT Disk
Also your USB 3.0 ports also support USB 2.0 which should be recognized by your BIOS. Also it seems that USB Drive formatted to Fat 32 seem to have better luck connecting.
I'm not sure about using a Win PE disk since its not needed for anything on the G75 that I do our use.

EDIT: I forgot to include, I am currently running Windows 7 home 64 bit and will (when I get the time to change over to my new solid state that just arrived) be upgrading to win7 Pro.

hmm... well the non-support of GPT disks is probably what I'm seeing, although it is strange that I can see the OS disk when choosing the source drive to image and not the MBR formatted external drive. Truth be told that kinda sucks but oh well, guess that's just how things are gonna be. Of the options out there, what do you feel is the best investment? I don't really have an issue paying for software as long as the cost is justified, but free is always good too ;)

Pitcher@asus
03-04-2013, 07:40 AM
are you use win8 system? because usb use bundle driver in win 8 system, but i saw ROG have people post G75VW usb driver, you can search to find it.

Clintlgm
03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Acronis (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/?gclid=CLnPvtiN5LUCFQODnQodrHsAZw#overview) has pretty good software. I use the Home version with the added Plus pack and also have the Disk Director. If you can find the packaging for any WD Hard drive they have a version that you can upgrade! If you have any WD Disk I think you can download the Lite version WD website, 2012 works with GPT, as well as the 2013 version. I think you need the disk Director to shrink a Image to a smaller drive. It has worked flawlessly for me Imaging drives and I also use them for my local back ups. I don't recommend their Cloud back up. Had total failures and a lot of wasted time trying to sort it out. Also they have a set up for a PE recovery boot disk, I have to use it for 2 of my work stations that have MB with out Native SATA 3 so I need the PE Disk to load the drivers to see the SATA 3 drives.

Callmebobzilla
03-05-2013, 04:41 AM
Acronis (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/?gclid=CLnPvtiN5LUCFQODnQodrHsAZw#overview) has pretty good software. I use the Home version with the added Plus pack and also have the Disk Director. If you can find the packaging for any WD Hard drive they have a version that you can upgrade! If you have any WD Disk I think you can download the Lite version WD website, 2012 works with GPT, as well as the 2013 version. I think you need the disk Director to shrink a Image to a smaller drive. It has worked flawlessly for me Imaging drives and I also use them for my local back ups. I don't recommend their Cloud back up. Had total failures and a lot of wasted time trying to sort it out. Also they have a set up for a PE recovery boot disk, I have to use it for 2 of my work stations that have MB with out Native SATA 3 so I need the PE Disk to load the drivers to see the SATA 3 drives.

Do you need the physical packaging of a WD HDD to download their version of acronis? I thought that the drives that came standard in the G75 were WD Scorpio Blacks. Shouldn't it recognize these as WD drives and allow the install?

Clintlgm
03-06-2013, 12:00 AM
No the packaging for some drive has a CD with the program in it! otherwise WD website has the download I think you might need a Serial number off a WD Drive. I have no Idea what drives you have, Mine Is a Lite On SSD and a 750 Seagate? It a pretty good discount to upgrade the WD Version. I would also search the internet for Coupons for Acronis. They have been running so pretty good discounts at least earlier this year I upgraded my 2012 to 2012 with Plus pack for $18. As far as I know they have not upgraded the Disk Director since 2010. Their KB is pretty helpful. There Tech support online it pretty good at directing you to the correct KB location. There phone support Is pretty good to. I never did sort out why there online back up did not work, weather it was a problem with my WS or there software but after several hours I just gave up I didn't really need it as I have other solutions that do work with out issues. I was just checking that out since there local back up software works so good for me.