PDA

View Full Version : wierd noise when downloading

nirO
03-03-2013, 01:06 AM
i hear a click when i download with u torrent on my 750HDD noise come from inside the laptop just about where hdd should be.. its like a small click

after i stop utorrent it still makes few times like that then click stops.... anyone had same problem?

ZeroBarrier
03-03-2013, 01:34 AM
You do realize that a mechanical hard drive has moving parts, right?

In case you didn't know (and I don't see how because HDDs have been doing this for years now) when not in use, the heads (the things that read the data off the spininhndrive) will park just off the disks. When they are needed, they'll spring back onto the moving disks which almost always produces a click noise.

DirtyCodingHabitz
03-03-2013, 04:15 AM
You do realize that a mechanical hard drive has moving parts, right?

In case you didn't know (and I don't see how because HDDs have been doing this for years now) when not in use, the heads (the things that read the data off the spininhndrive) will park just off the disks. When they are needed, they'll spring back onto the moving disks which almost always produces a click noise.

I think his HDD is faulty. But I use to get that same click sounds on my older laptop that had like 100 torrents seeding. When I deleted like 70% of the torrents, the clicks stopped. Maybe it's just getting stressed out from too many torrents seeding.

nirO
03-03-2013, 06:11 AM
well in the 3 months i that i have it.. i cant recall hearing it... i have a ssd that runs OS and all games and stuff i use the hhd just to store on it... so i will try to put a game on it and run it... wanna see if noise comes up again or just when i`m downloading( and no i dont have many torrents up, my max upload is 100kbps and download 1.5mbps witch does really not matter since as soon i start torrent even if i dont reach those speeds i can hear the damn click )

ZeroBarrier
03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Read my reply again, your storage HDD parks the heads when idle for a while. When you start downloading and the HDD needs to write, the heads un-park causing a click noise. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, this is by design. I don't know how to make it any clearer...

Edit: No offense, but I can't believe I'm having to explain the basics of a mechanical hard drive on an enthusiast forum. I mean, really?...

nirO
03-03-2013, 10:46 AM
lol i understand that... was just saying i did not hear it before in 3months... and well thats why i asked if others can hear that as well

Pitcher@asus
03-04-2013, 07:07 AM
you can open back cover to check it is it hdd problem or where is the sound from.