PDA

View Full Version : Booting to Linux with a USB Drive - Errors and will not boot

tkolarik
03-03-2013, 04:00 AM
I tried several different USB formatting solution with the same result so it's not the USB drive. The live boot to linux locks us with an error like;

[2.314099] [drm] nouveau .....Detected 2048 VRAM
[2.314099] [drm] nouveau ..... 512 MIB GART (aperature)
[2.314099] [drm] nouveau ..... PMC - unhandled INTR

The last line is repeated several times till it locks up.

This happens with several different versions of live Linux.

tkolarik
03-03-2013, 04:20 AM
OK,it looks like it has something to do with the "BumbleBee Project", that attempts to allow Optimus to work with Linux. Unfortunately, Asus took care of that. So it looks like it is trying to boot using Intel video not Nvidia, or something like that.

Any ideas on how to get the G67VW to boot into Linux?

rewben
03-03-2013, 04:48 AM
@tkolarik, can you please list out the linux distros (including their versions) that you have tried but were unsuccessful?

a g75vw should have no problem running a linux liveusb session created using pendrivelinux (http://pendrivelinux.com/).

i thought optimus was not enabled in th g75vw?!

tkolarik
03-03-2013, 04:54 AM
This looks like it has something to do with the "bumbleBee Project", which aims at enabling Optimus support for processors. Somehow it knows this is a laptop that could run Optimus but doesn't know Asus had it disabled.

Tried an older version of Ubuntu 12.04 and got a: "lightdm process 6902 terminated status 1" error and no sucessful boot.

tkolarik
03-03-2013, 04:58 AM
I've tried Debian 6.06, Linuxmint 14, both 64 and 32 - bit versions, was about to try slax. I think I was able to get the 32-bit to boot but there were some other problems. I Tried both pendrive and linuslive to create usb drives.

rewben
03-03-2013, 05:08 AM
ok i used to use ubuntu 12.04, centos 5.9/6.3, debian 6.06, and linuxmint 14 64bit liveusb. i have a g55 though; had no problem with them :/

sorry but maybe someone with more linux desktop experience will tell you more about this.

tkolarik
03-03-2013, 05:29 AM
I was able to get Debian 6.0.5 to boot but max screen resolution 1600 and couldn't install wireless device. Could try to enable persistence on the drive and try Ethernet. If that works maybe can get 1920 x 1080.

dparish2
03-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Use this http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to make a bootable flash drive. This worked for me with Fedora, also used this for Backtrack 4 - 5r3 and have not had a problem.

Also use Wubi.exe, that has always worked for me too.

Zygomorphic
03-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I was able to get Debian 6.0.5 to boot but max screen resolution 1600 and couldn't install wireless device. Could try to enable persistence on the drive and try Ethernet. If that works maybe can get 1920 x 1080.
Max screen resolution of 1600 (?x1200?) is due to the wrong video driver being loaded. You need to install the proprietary nvidia drivers from the nvidia website into your installation and see if that helps. As I recall, Ubuntu ships with the nVidia drivers in the live usb. Oh, and I would recommend staying away from Ubuntu, with their phone-home software that they have added. Debian is good, according to @fostert, and I am partial to OpenSUSE myself. Both of these distros have live-usb builds, so you should be able to test them. OpenSUSE has done an excellent job of recognizing my GTX560M (ASUS G53SX) out of the box with the open-source nouveau driver. It also runs great with the nvidia driver.

tkolarik
03-04-2013, 04:22 AM
I would but I can't get Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 to boot.

tkolarik
03-04-2013, 05:09 AM
Tried unetbootin with Ubuntu 12.10, got to selection screen chose /try without installing, the screen flshed and the usb drive light flash for about a minute then nothing. Trying pendrive again.

Zygomorphic
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Tried unetbootin with Ubuntu 12.10, got to selection screen chose /try without installing, the screen flashed and the usb drive light flash for about a minute then nothing. Trying pendrive again.
Try OpenSUSE live KDE (I don't like Gnome, but your choice) from here: http://software.opensuse.org/122/en

You have to use their live-image writer rather than unetbootin or pendrive, but if it works, you can install it and then reclaim the space on the flash-drive.

rewben
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
off topic: we're lucky. a wild check for 'uefi bios brick laptops' at google just now revealed recent news regarding laptops of certain brands got bricked, because of a simple action - booting them via linux liveusbs.

so much of the security 'feature', secure boot :/

fostert
03-05-2013, 02:00 AM
off topic: we're lucky. a wild check for 'uefi bios brick laptops' at google just now revealed recent news regarding laptops of certain brands got bricked, because of a simple action - booting them via linux liveusbs.

so much of the security 'feature', secure boot :/

Phew, not an ASUS brand. I was hoping to stick to them for my next upgrade in a couple years.
Hopefully by then the mess with UEFI and Secure-boot is sorted out and all Linux kernels will be able to boot on all brands of laptop. And I hope ASUS provides a way of turning off Secure Boot in the BIOS...do they do this now in the G75??

In my world the only machine that Windows deserves a place on is a virtual one...

fostert
03-05-2013, 02:10 AM

I use Debian 6 and have installed the NVIDIA linux drivers to get the full 1920x1080 on my screen. You can download the latest bleeding-edge ones from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and compile and install them yourself, or there may be older more stable pre-compiled binaries in the Debian package archives; just run the 'synaptic' package manager and search for nvidia.

rewben
03-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Phew, not an ASUS brand. I was hoping to stick to them for my next upgrade in a couple years.
Hopefully by then the mess with UEFI and Secure-boot is sorted out and all Linux kernels will be able to boot on all brands of laptop. And I hope ASUS provides a way of turning off Secure Boot in the BIOS...do they do this now in the G75??

In my world the only machine that Windows deserves a place on is a virtual one...

yeah lol!

imo the current implementation of secure boot is of limited use and benefits (support for a single-OS only; what's the point?!). if i had one i probably go for bios instead to get rid of potential troubles. yes, asus provides the a way to turning off secure boot in bios, luckily.

Zygomorphic
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Generally my sentiments too. I keep a native system around for those times when I need the extra performance of a Windows-only program, but for the most part, if that is the case, it is for work...and I have a company-provided work computer. When I get around to rebuilding my system over the summer (when I have more time), I will move the Windows installation to a VM, and make LINUX the native environment.