PDA

View Full Version : USB Ports not working on G60JX

Carliee
03-03-2013, 11:44 PM
My USB ports are dying on my G60JX. Does anyone know if these are repairable? Is it something I could do myself?

Two of them (right side as I look at the screen) are unusable to the point that if I try to plug anything into them while it's on, the laptop shuts down and I have to unplug it from the wall and remove the battery for a few seconds and replace it before restarting it.

The ones on the left are starting to go now, too. The one furthest back toward the screen is nearly unusable...have to wiggle the mouse dongle to find a spot it will light up. The other is very sensitive to any movement, but reconnects quite easily.

Thanks for any advice you can give me! I successfully blew the dust out of the fan area awhile ago to alleviate overheating issues and am hoping to be able to keep using it for awhile yet. A new one isn't in the budget quite yet.

Carliee

Pitcher@asus
03-04-2013, 03:40 AM
please restore oS and try again.

cl-Albert
03-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not aware of a way you can fix the USB hardware if that is the problem, but you can always send it back to ASUS for out-of-warranty service if you prefer. Click on this link (http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9) for the U.S. and Canadian contact info.

If your notebook is out of warranty though, I wouldn't want to put too much money into it if possible in case anything else gets worn out.

If you are plugging and unplugging USB devices a whole bunch, you may have used them so much that the contacts are getting dirty or worn out since you say wiggling the connector helps.
You can consider getting a separate USB Hub to plug all the other USB devices if you don't move around the notebook much, but if you need to plug and unplug the USB Hub just as much, it isn't going to help.

Wireless mice (or bluetooth?) may be another option if they and the battery replacements aren't too expensive since you can usually just leave the wireless mouse USB receiver/transmitter plugged into the USB port all the time (assuming everything is okay if you don't unplug it).

You might also check if your notebook has bluetooth (make sure the wireless hardware switch is enabled and use the Fn+F2 keys to see if it shows the bluetooth icon with the wireless. U.S. models should also have a sticker underneath for the Bluetooth FCC ID in addition to the Wireless FCC ID).
I'm not sure about the prices, but if you can switch your devices over to bluetooth instead of USB, that's another idea, but other than keyboards and mice, there may not be a lot of other bluetooth devices you can find.

Anyway, hope this helps or others can provide better suggestions.