PDA

View Full Version : G46VW: How to switch between video cards?

gypsymoth
03-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Hi, I've just gotten an Asus G46VW yesterday. I've read that there is a Nvidia and an Intel graphic cards in it. I've been dinking around in Windows 8, but I found no way to switch between the two graphics card. I am new to Windows 8 too, so I'm not too proficient at working with it.

Based on the Nvidia utility and the Intel utility, it seems that the notebook is operating with the Intel graphics card right now. How do I switch between the two cards?

bignazpwns
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Games will default to the nvidia. IF not you will know it its going to run like a turd. If that does happen you can fix it in the nvidia control panel or just right click on the games desktop icon and it will say run with you nvidia or your HD4000. Pick the nvidia and it will use that.

Pitcher@asus
03-05-2013, 07:00 AM
you can set in NVIDIA control manual.

Zygomorphic
03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Anything that makes a number of 3D (Direct3D/OpenGL) calls will switch to the nVidia card. Anything that simply requests painting a bitmap on the display uses the Intel card. That is how the system does it automagically. :D Based upon @bignazpwns statement, you can force individual programs to use one or the other if you want.

gypsymoth
03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I see. Thanks for all your help. I didn't realize computers are so advanced nowadays. :-)