PDA

View Full Version : Best Custom Specs for G46VW

Djask
03-06-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm looking to buy an ASUS G46VW laptop, but don't know what specs I should choose. Can anyone give me good custom specs reccommended for this laptop?

rewben
03-06-2013, 05:01 AM
as entry-level custom specs to me (best for money), it's 3740qm cpu, 16gb ram, 256gb msata ssd and 750gb ssh.

the best to me is 3840qm cpu, 16gb ram, 256gb msata ssd and 512gb ssd.

Pitcher@asus
03-06-2013, 05:48 AM
i think asus shippment spec is same, you are able to add or change hdd, memory.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G46VW/#specifications

Djask
03-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Thankyou Both! Really Helpful!

rewben
03-06-2013, 06:30 AM
@Djask, it's no problem :)

maybe you should wait for others to respond, too. those were just my personal preferences.

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 09:51 AM
as entry-level custom specs to me (best for money), it's 3740qm cpu, 16gb ram, 256gb msata ssd and 750gb ssh.

the best to me is 3840qm cpu, 16gb ram, 256gb msata ssd and 512gb ssd.

3840 is going to be to hot for that system. Cooling on it pretty much sucks even with a i7 3630qm. was originally set up for a i5 3230M /3210M that are 35w cpus. It handles the 10w higher 3630qm ok but the 3840 is going to be to much your going to have really high temps all the time.

Honestly i wont go over a 3630 in that system. Heck i would go with a i5 over that just to save it from heat issues. I mean the G55 is not all that much better but the cooling system on that does make a diff. Personaly if i was going with a G46 i would roll with a i5 since your not buying it for power. 2 core 4 thread i5 is fine for a GTX 660m. It wont bottleneck that card and you wont gain a ton of fps or preformance vs a i7. Now if it had a GTX 670MX or a GTX 680M then i would say go with a min of a i7 3630.

rewben
03-06-2013, 11:05 AM
3840 is going to be to hot for that system. Cooling on it pretty much sucks even with a i7 3630qm. was originally set up for a i5 3230M /3210M that are 35w cpus. It handles the 10w higher 3630qm ok but the 3840 is going to be to much your going to have really high temps all the time.

Honestly i wont go over a 3630 in that system. Heck i would go with a i5 over that just to save it from heat issues. I mean the G55 is not all that much better but the cooling system on that does make a diff. Personaly if i was going with a G46 i would roll with a i5 since your not buying it for power. 2 core 4 thread i5 is fine for a GTX 660m. It wont bottleneck that card and you wont gain a ton of fps or preformance vs a i7. Now if it had a GTX 670MX or a GTX 680M then i would say go with a min of a i7 3630.

ah i assumed that 3820qm is working fine as reported by some friends here (one of them ran it without proper thermal paste replacement), so it's not that hot for a 3840qm to run on these machines :/

colpolite
03-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Don't even bother buying a G46 until the 900p panels becomes available in April.

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
ah i assumed that 3820qm is working fine as reported by some friends here (one of them ran it without proper thermal paste replacement), so it's not that hot for a 3840qm to run on these machines :/

Well i personally seen one and when HT was running the cpu was loading at 95c+ and hit the point of throttling its self.

DRAKON
03-06-2013, 09:38 PM
If you want the best possible performance I would recommend with rewben's suggestions (I won't comment the heat problem mentioned as I have no idea how good is the cooling on G46).

However I personally would go with the stock processor, 8 GB of RAM ( I think the stock is about that ), 120 GB mSATA + the original stock drive. Now the reason behind it is that the only thing that you can actually benefit from is the mSATA. The stock processor is enough for gaming and I doubt you are going for video rendering. The 8 GB of RAM is totally enough unless you go for video rendering, CAD programs or photoshop type of programs. The original drive is fast enough for normal storage. Now of course if money are no object why not upgrading but in my opinion a 14 inch laptop should be only for gaming on the go so this extra power doesn't justify the extra cost.

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Also keep in mind the whole saving a inch to make it easyer to game on the go in tight spaces is bs. Cant game on the battery unless you use the HD4000 and even then if you use that you can get a much much much better system in build quality and get some pretty specs for cheaper if you are getting it for gaming on the go. The G46VW makes a extremely poor desktop replacement and personalty i would go with the G55 as its just a better system overall. There is a reason why the G46 looks nice on the outside. Thats all it really has.

I used for for a short time and i was extremely bummed with it as it did not even remotely live upto the hype Asus made it to be. I would rather take the G55 any day of the week until some key things are changed in the system but 99% of them wont be so between the two my pick every time is the G55.

JwPwns
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
umm it's indenticle for the G55 and G46 in the INSIDE TOO! lol anyways don't worry about the cooling, it has enough juice to keep everything cool and calm. Idle temps are same as i5 and after few hours of gaming my i7 only goes to 80c max but now i limited it to 80% cpu power it goes to 60s

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 11:56 PM
umm it's indenticle for the G55 and G46 in the INSIDE TOO! lol anyways don't worry about the cooling, it has enough juice to keep everything cool and calm. Idle temps are same as i5 and after few hours of gaming my i7 only goes to 80c max but now i limited it to 80% cpu power it goes to 60s

Thats funny because i can say for a fact the G46VW i used even with a respaste 3 times ran 10c hotter then the G55.

And 80c playing a game is pretty hot because that's not even coming close to fully loading the CPU. Its a 45w cpu with a tjmax of 105 and if you load it that 80c will hit 90c very fast and you are now tedering on the edge of of thermal throttle or shutdown all together. Not to mention that keeping a cpu that high is never good for it i wont load my cpu's higher then 65c desktop mobile 75c max under prime not under a game.

Now i really fail to see the point of limited the cpu. You are saying you had to cripple it to get good temps. Ok so 80% cpu power of a 3820QM is 2.96ghz making it slower then a stock i7 3610qm. Assuming you based it off the turbo because if not that's just depressing because if you run 80% of the base that makes it 2.16 making it slower then the ULV's . Now that stock i5-3230M is still going to be faster then that i7 at pretty much most stuff that does not use more then 4 cores. AKA gaming where the higher clocks does help. This is why people would rock higher clocked i5's and not the i7's.

Now dropping the clock to 80% or to 2.9ghz for the max turbo you are now making that cpu basically a 35w cpu. "Backs up what i said about the thermal issues ;)" thus making it run in the thermal spec the system was set up to cool. So no wounder you get normal temps like that you cripple any cpu that hard and its going to run cool.

Now your gimped cpu upgrade was how much more then a i7 3630qm and you had cripple it to run at descent temps and make that cpu about what 9.4 ish % slower then the stock i7 3630QM? I mean anyone who knows anything about i7's would of just disabled HT first before you cripple a cpu to the point of that its slower the the lowest model in the family because disableing HT can bring your temps down quite a bit. I have not tested it on any of the Ivy's but my older Sandys disabling it would drop my temps about 10c off the high side.

Sum it up im all for slapping the best CPU in your system. All my personally rigs are running either ES's or Extreme editions. I understand the limits of systems and there is no point in getting a i7 3820QM and crippling it to something slower then a 3630 other then to look cool ont he forums. When i give people advice i get them the best bang for their buck and i wont compromise preformace just so you can have a inch on your epen in a sig. And i mean if you really wanna know what the temps are like on the G46 i can get one here in a week to use with a i7 3660 and slap my 3840 in it and tell you just how bad it cant handle the load and what you will have to down clock it to just to keep your load temps stable.

Also keep in mine games wont ever load your cpu 100% but if you get a game that loads it more your temps will increase and this can cause problems if they get high. Make a educated decision on your system you have all the info in front of you and get what you want not what other people say. It is your system i could care less if your laptop tuns at 90c and burns a hole in your desk. Thats what you have to live with i just dont want you to be shocked and think something is wrong. On these forums people will always push you to get the same system they have. Because if gives them validation that they got a good deal, its fast whatever but don't get sucked up into it.

JwPwns
03-08-2013, 12:24 AM
I think you are way too extreme on that "opinion"of yours, think out side the box. When i need the extra horse power i just swich the power mode and boom there goes my full power 3820qm.. it's that easy. when I'm just chilling and gaming a little then i swich to power saver and keeping my temps under 50 while getting decent performance for gaming. it's not like the 3820qm will always throttle and hit the 80s , it only happens after benchmarks and hours of intense gaming only brought it to normal temps, sure the Bigger G55 might have slightly better cooling due to its size but the inside components are bascially identicle. I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say when you don't even have the facts for the temps inside G46, everyone knows the bigger laptops have better cooling but what i'm trying to say is that this one is not as bad as you claim it to be. 10c difference? show me.

ps. Temps are stable even if i run it 100%, from what others told me these temps i'm getting are perfectly okay for full load laptops. and I've compared them to G55 and G75 I seriously think it's not that much difference. proof me wrong with some data and facts, not opinions.

bignazpwns
03-08-2013, 12:57 AM
I think you are way too extreme on that "opinion"of yours, think out side the box. When i need the extra horse power i just swich the power mode and boom there goes my full power 3820qm.. it's that easy. when I'm just chilling and gaming a little then i swich to power saver and keeping my temps under 50 while getting decent performance for gaming. it's not like the 3820qm will always throttle and hit the 80s , it only happens after benchmarks and hours of intense gaming only brought it to normal temps, sure the Bigger G55 might have slightly better cooling due to its size but the inside components are bascially identicle. I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say when you don't even have the facts for the temps inside G46, everyone knows the bigger laptops have better cooling but what i'm trying to say is that this one is not as bad as you claim it to be. 10c difference? show me.

ps. Temps are stable even if i run it 100%, from what others told me these temps i'm getting are perfectly okay for full load laptops. and I've compared them to G55 and G75 I seriously think it's not that much difference. proof me wrong with some data and facts, not opinions.

Your just flip flopping. If temps are fine you leave it alone. You even said it gets to 80c max gaming what is not even close to a full load what means the full load will be 90-100c between that and you had to cripple the cpu to the point of being slower then a stock 3610 just to get temps that were good. Sorry going back and forth wont fix the fact even you said the temps were high untill you crippled it. So why go back and forth? Does haveing a crippled 3820qm make you feel cool and the illusion that its fast? Kinda like the people who put the extreme edition stickers on your computer?

Facts are facts. 80c load in game is not a full load. Its not even close to a full load. Anything that loads that cpu to even close to 100% will push it to 90+c and you know this that's why you crippled it . Diff games will load the cpu diff resulting in diff temps.

I can run a i7 3920XM in my G75 here no problem. But i can tell you for a fact the cooling system was not set up for a 55w cpu. Because the load temps are pretty high compared to a 3630qm that is a 45w cpu so why wopuld i cripple the 3920 to a 3630 just so i can look cool in a sig? Even you said it the system CANT HANDLE the temps. 80c is to high for a game lode and a full load will push it to the limit of the tjmax. And i even bet that the temp is closer to 85-87c you were getting because people tend to round their temps down to the whole number.

JwPwns
03-08-2013, 01:27 AM
MAX 80. that's waht i said. it means that it won't go any higher than that. look up definition of MAX. I left something out it's 80 after 3Dmark2011. you can still digg up the temp pictures i posted. anyways I'm done trying to explain to you that 3820qm is a 45w CPU and it's temps arent much difference BUT you claim it will burn a hole in the desk, that's just bs. go ahead and ask why would hidevolution even offer the upgrade to i7 3940xm. anyways have a nice day

Dreamonic
03-08-2013, 02:43 AM
The G-series cooling systems are all designed for 45W CPUs. They all transfer heat and exhaust it under the CPUs max junction temperature efficiently. This has to do with the active cooling design as well as the heat transfer design ASUS used.

It's obvious as computer components become outdated as technology advances, that the processors and other hardware will be stressed more upon with newer programs and games (increasing with load) but for the time being the G's are doing their job no matter what processor you upgrade to, so as long as you purchase one in the same family of 45W; TDP is not the maximum power of a processor but the maximum power consumption for thermal significant periods running worst-case non-synthetic workloads.

The 3820/40qm and the 3610/30qm are all 45W and run at similar voltages, so they will also produce similar thermal results in the same system. This is not to say you won't notice a raise in temperature from higher speed chips from the same family, but that the difference in temperature would be much higher if you were to go to a 55W 3920/40xm CPU instead. You can theoretically upgrade to a 3940xm and not have a problem running low workloads, but higher loads will make it run much warmer and may introduce throttling, depending on your voltage regulatory system, it could also become unstable.

The reason the i5 was an option in the G46 is because of it's size, being more portable for the consumer and extending battery life further all while still keeping things true for the ROG enthusiast in terms of performance scaling.

The degree varying in higher temperatures can rely on so many things, such as ambient temperature, elevating chassis bottom, paste job, psu, voltage, secured heatsink, defective hardware, stress testing (which does not yield true results) laptop exhaust vents obstruction.. etc, but form factor it is definitely not!

Temperatures in the lower 80's is completely acceptable for all systems aboard.

trust7
03-10-2013, 06:21 AM

I dont think it will be too hot for the G46. Here is one owner of the G46 who upgraded his processor to 3820qm

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29405-Asus-G46vw-Upgraded-with-I7-3820qm-working-good-so-far&highlight=G46vw

JwPwns
03-10-2013, 06:33 AM
that bignazpwns is such a troll.. he needs to learn how easy it is to enable the cpu to full power when needed then cripple it and save cpu life when you don't need it. He's saying it's like an irrevesible process.. when it's a matter of clicking power mode. Now with Dreamonic here providing the facts Bignazpwns why don't you get one and show me the temps for 3660 and 3820. Oh right you can't because you have nothing to back any of your ****s up.

Dreamonic
03-10-2013, 08:25 AM
that bignazpwns is such a troll.. he needs to learn how easy it is to enable the cpu to full power when needed then cripple it and save cpu life when you don't need it. He's saying it's like an irrevesible process.. when it's a matter of clicking power mode. Now with Dreamonic here providing the facts Bignazpwns why don't you get one and show me the temps for 3660 and 3820. Oh right you can't because you have nothing to back any of your ****s up.

Honestly, bignazpwns is entitled to his opinions (or overstatements) whether we accept them or take them as a grain of salt, just like what people can do to our own.

You can believe whatever you want to, whether they be facts or theories, only you can decide that. It's also courteous to acknowledge what someone else said even if you may not necessarily agree with it. Instead of trying to prove to them your side of what you believe is truth, just be the "listener" and move forward after. Just like what my comment you are reading now is exercising, you either will accept what you read or dismiss it. The point is, it doesn't change anything about what I've said, just your understanding of this.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2mpk40j.jpg

Heat Mizer
03-10-2013, 12:53 PM
The stock 750 HD is utter garbage. An mSATA SSD will certainly help but that drive will be slower than engine set-up for many game level loads IMHO. If you're talking about ordering custom and don't want to spring for a large SSD, I'd recommend replacing the stock HD with something faster. I bought mine from BB, put in 16 gigs and an 840 Pro 512 GB SSD. Once the 16x9 panel is out and has some reviews I may put that in and, at that time, go with a lower-end i7. I can tell you that the stock i5/660m with an SSD is plenty fast, but the i5 is noticeably slower than the i7 in the Sony SVS13 I took back last week. The stock LCD isn't too terrible. It's actually much easier on the eyes than the 16x9 panel on the Sony SVS13 which was complete garbage.

jpomz
03-14-2013, 03:54 AM
The stock 750 HD is utter garbage. An mSATA SSD will certainly help but that drive will be slower than engine set-up for many game level loads IMHO. If you're talking about ordering custom and don't want to spring for a large SSD, I'd recommend replacing the stock HD with something faster. I bought mine from BB, put in 16 gigs and an 840 Pro 512 GB SSD. Once the 16x9 panel is out and has some reviews I may put that in and, at that time, go with a lower-end i7. I can tell you that the stock i5/660m with an SSD is plenty fast, but the i5 is noticeably slower than the i7 in the Sony SVS13 I took back last week. The stock LCD isn't too terrible. It's actually much easier on the eyes than the 16x9 panel on the Sony SVS13 which was complete garbage.

Where do you order the mobile processors from? The only places I can find them is on ebay.

Heat Mizer
03-14-2013, 08:52 AM
There are quite a few places. Try searching "buy intel qm processors" and some will pop up. I don't want to endorse any particular sellers, but I can say I have purchased from SuperBiiz before and they sell QMs as does J&R.

jpomz
03-14-2013, 04:12 PM
There are quite a few places. Try searching "buy intel qm processors" and some will pop up. I don't want to endorse any particular sellers, but I can say I have purchased from SuperBiiz before and they sell QMs as does J&R.

I guess they're pretty pricy then. Thank you though.

Heat Mizer
03-14-2013, 06:40 PM
North of $200 for sure.