PDA

View Full Version : Anyone re-paste their CPU/GPU on Asus G55vw?

Vicodin
03-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Hello,
I am curious about stock thermal used on the CPU and GPU in the Asus G55vw. I have seen a pic that appears to have thermal pads on not only the CPU and GPU, but on a few chips around the CPU. Can paste be used instead of the pads? Or are the pads needed due to dimensions or spacing for the heatsinks? For example, if one were to remove pads and apply paste, would the heatsinks still flush up?

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Stock thermal paste is fine. All thermal paste is about 1-3c whiten each other. The big diff. is in applying it. And sadly the forced laber in China where they make the systems just cant seem to get the concept of applying thermal paste. Or if they do Foxconn gets them lol.

CPU And gpu use thermal paste. The memory uses thermal pads. You can not replace the thermal pades with thermal paste they are there to fill a gap.

I repaste all my systems with good old trusted AS5. Some i seen typical results and i did some for people that had the worst paste jobs i ever seen and seen some 10c drops.

nirO
03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
would like to see a video on g75 paste job ... mines needs it :-s

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Just a heads up repasteing on a G75 is not a fast or easy process. I did a screw count and its something like 50 screws to get to it.

Pretty much if you dont feel comfortable just pulling it apart on your own with no vid then repasteing it is just a little to advanced for you. Its not like pulling the heatsink off and putting it on. The system has to be pretty much 90% disassembled.

Pitcher@asus
03-07-2013, 02:58 AM
i think it would be flush up again when you remove the pads.

bignazpwns
03-07-2013, 03:05 AM
i think it would be flush up again when you remove the pads.

No dont even try that. If that was the case it would life the heatsink off the core.

To thick of pads and they dont squish down enough it will keep the heatsink from making proper contact with the core not allowing it to cool it properly. To think and the pads wont from a good thermal connection between the ic's and heatsink.

ITs cheaper to make a less precise heatsink with a copper core in the middle thats flat for the gpu then to machine a full heatsink that is flat for all the ic's. This is why they just leave a pretty big gap between it and the ic's and just use a thermal pad vs machining it to spec and useing thermal paste. That could easily push the price of the heatsink up x2 what it is now. And the reason why full cover water blocks are so expensive.

scarletvw
03-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Changing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU would void your warranty. That being said, if someone did open up the G55VW and change the thermal paste they would be looking at a sizeable decrease in temps. From the factory the thermal paste is put on like a fat kid frosting a cake. There are also black square sticker things that have a core size hole cut in the middle. It is not uncommon for the sticker to be partially between the heatsink and the core, if this is the case then the temps would drop drastically.

taz291819
03-07-2013, 11:29 PM
This is exactly why I had XoticPC put IC Diamond compound on both my CPU and GPU. Was worth the extra $35.

isomorphZeta
03-09-2013, 09:39 AM
I redid the paste on my G55 last weekend when I installed my mSATA drive. It was a 2-3 hour job, given that it was my first time opening it up. Still in the break-in period (used AS5) but I've noticed a ~10 to 15 Celsius drop in GPU temps, and a ~7 to 10 Celcius drop in CPU temps. I'd definitely recommend re-pasting if you're going to OC the GPU/CPU. It's not a terribly hard job, and it definitely pays off.

gokica
03-09-2013, 11:41 AM
I will also say that if your temps are normal and if you do not have much experience with hardware do not bother repasting.

My temps on the G75VX are (20-22 C ambient):

CPU 33-36 C idle and 55-60 normal everyday load.

The GPU idles at 36-37 C and goes up to 65 C OCed +135/1000. Non OC will never go above 56-58 C.

So if your temps are similar just do not bother.

Vicodin
03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I don't think I am going to mess with the paste. I have never re-pasted a CPU or GPU in my life. I have watched various videos and such, so I know it is not all that difficult. On a desktop I would do it no problem, but on this thing... I seen a pic of the fan/heatsink assembly. I don't see how you can properly paste the CPU, GPU, and sink both of the heatsinks directly on the cpu/gpu at the same time and bolt them down without sliding them around at all. (everything is one solid unit if I am correct, so not like you can do one at a time). But correct me if I am wrong. Anyways, here are my temps.

My temps in idle are CPU 40c GPU 35c
My temps gaming with +135/+500 never go above 70c ever.
The only games I really play are League of Legends, Diablo 3, Counterstrike Source/GO, and Borderlands 2. So that is probably why. Usually sits aroune 60c-65c. Diablo 3 gets it to about 70c. The hottest I have ever seen my GPU is 75c with a 1920x1080 15 min furmark.

gokica
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I do not see a reason to bother unless you have spare time and you feel enthusiastic about it.

Vicodin
03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Well I see where people are coming from. I am going to be installing an mSATA SSD, so I will be right there. If I could obtain enough info on it, I may give it a shot I guess. I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and the two solutions to clean and prep. I just have a couple questions.

1. Does the whole fan assembly have to come off?
2. What is with the chips around the GPU? I have seen pics, and it appears that the CPU and GPU are pasted, but the chips have pads. What do I do about this? When I pull off the sinks will it ruin the pads? I sure don't have any laying around...
3. Do I just spread an even, thin layer of paste on the surface of the CPU and GPU, making sure there are no air bubbles?

Any info on this would be great!

ggBanks
03-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Well I see where people are coming from. I am going to be installing an mSATA SSD, so I will be right there. If I could obtain enough info on it, I may give it a shot I guess. I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and the two solutions to clean and prep. I just have a couple questions.

1. Does the whole fan assembly have to come off?
2. What is with the chips around the GPU? I have seen pics, and it appears that the CPU and GPU are pasted, but the chips have pads. What do I do about this? When I pull off the sinks will it ruin the pads? I sure don't have any laying around...
3. Do I just spread an even, thin layer of paste on the surface of the CPU and GPU, making sure there are no air bubbles?

Any info on this would be great!

1. If you will mount an mSATA, No, it does not have to come off.
2. These chips are the video memory for the GPU. The pads can be reused as long as they dont have dirt over them.
3. Yes!

Vicodin
03-09-2013, 08:35 PM
ggBanks,

I was referring to if the entire fan/system has to come off to repaste.

Vicodin
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Here look at this. Can the CPU, GPU, and chips all be pasted? or just the CPU and GPU?

Vicodin
03-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Stock thermal paste is fine. All thermal paste is about 1-3c whiten each other. The big diff. is in applying it. And sadly the forced laber in China where they make the systems just cant seem to get the concept of applying thermal paste. Or if they do Foxconn gets them lol.

CPU And gpu use thermal paste. The memory uses thermal pads. You can not replace the thermal pades with thermal paste they are there to fill a gap.

I repaste all my systems with good old trusted AS5. Some i seen typical results and i did some for people that had the worst paste jobs i ever seen and seen some 10c drops.

Sorry I did not see this post initially. What you are saying totally makes sense and what I was thinking when I seen a pic of the motherboard. I thought to myself that there is no way that all of those chips and the gpu are the exact same height and offset to all be flush on the board. I also seen the pads on the chips, so I figured they had to be there in the place of paste for a reason. When you pull the heatstink off does it ruin the pads?

bignazpwns
03-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Sorry I did not see this post initially. What you are saying totally makes sense and what I was thinking when I seen a pic of the motherboard. I thought to myself that there is no way that all of those chips and the gpu are the exact same height and offset to all be flush on the board. I also seen the pads on the chips, so I figured they had to be there in the place of paste for a reason. When you pull the heatstink off does it ruin the pads?

Some times. If they come apart you can always put them back together i mean its not really that important that its perfect. But as long as they are not dirty i have always reused mine and spliced them together with no problem.

Vicodin
03-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Some times. If they come apart you can always put them back together i mean its not really that important that its perfect. But as long as they are not dirty i have always reused mine and spliced them together with no problem.

You have to be the most helpful person I have ever seen on a forum. When ever I have posted a question on here you always seem to be the one with the answer. Thank You for that!

bignazpwns
03-10-2013, 08:23 AM
You have to be the most helpful person I have ever seen on a forum. When ever I have posted a question on here you always seem to be the one with the answer. Thank You for that!

NP. I do what i can.

demo.ckp
05-20-2016, 06:32 PM
after four years of use, my G55VW shows high temp without run games.

what is the thermal pad recommended for G55VW?
what is the thickness recommended?

I finded at Asus Parts three types of thermal pad.