PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55vw Nvidia 660m O.C +135/+500 w/ Asus GPU Tweak Void Warranty?

Vicodin
03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Yet another question to this wonderful community. Does using Asus GPU Tweak downloaded directly from Asus void the warranty on my Asus G55vw? Not that I would leave it on here in the event of an RMA anyways, just curious.

HulkSmash
03-06-2013, 10:07 PM
No, as far as I know, OC'ing your computer with software does not void warranty. I think what does void it is like a volt mod. Not sure 100% of what I'm saying though :P

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Anything can void your warranty if they chose that they don't want to honor it. They word it like that.

HulkSmash
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM
I guess it's a matter of being lucky then...there was even someone here who had a modified Vbios, and it was covered, even though a modded vbios is a big no no when it comes to warranty...

bignazpwns
03-06-2013, 11:27 PM
I guess it's a matter of being lucky then...there was even someone here who had a modified Vbios, and it was covered, even though a modded vbios is a big no no when it comes to warranty...

They wont honor a modded vbios. Chances are he did not have one or they just dident see because that will for a fact void your warranty and its very easy to tell if its been modded.

Whole point you can argue that overclocking is software related why they can say its hardware modification. Will they honor it with a slight oc? Chances are yeah but do they have to if you overclock it? No. If you change the vbios to anything other then a asus approved bios you lose your whole warranty can be be responsible for the repair cost as well as paying for the return shipping. Can they tell if you did this? Yes. Do you look for this? Dont know.

One thing you need to get as a overclocker is that doing this even if its a 1mhz oc or a 1ghz oc you are effectively voiding your warranty by operating the hardware outside its official specs. Then its just up to them to chose if they will honor it if they can tell. And even if they cant tell if you post on the forms and post screen shots and what not they can tell from that. And that would be by your own admission of voiding it.

To build on this a little mote.

Say you mod a vbios and crank the card up and it dies so you send it in for a RMA. If they tell that its been done legally you are trying to defraud them. Remember Asus had lawyers write up the warranty. Not some hippy who loves helping people. It was not written to give you service it was written to protect them and save them money. But dont think to far into this im just putting the info out there as a what if.

Pitcher@asus
03-07-2013, 03:39 AM
i think OC is not voide warranty, but if asus discover customer use tool to change BIOS to OC, i think it is voide warranty.
asus not recommended OC with GPU, it is easing system too hot.

bignazpwns
03-07-2013, 03:59 AM
i think OC is not voide warranty, but if asus discover customer use tool to change BIOS to OC, i think it is voide warranty.
asus not recommended OC with GPU, it is easing system too hot.

Pretty much sums it up right there. Flash and its void. Oc and its void if they catch you. A issue from a gpu getting to hot from overclocking it not a defect it is damage from the end user.

But i seen your clocks your not even close to killing that gpu unless your temps are in the 90's. You seen what i had my GTX 660m to and i ran that since launch like that with no problem trying to see if i could get kepler to die. And its still going strong with its new owner.

HulkSmash
03-07-2013, 04:41 AM
I guess they didn't notice, or before doing an rma he flashed the vbios back to default. I remember he had trouble while getting the new bios (not vbios), and had to RMA it...Don't exactly remember, but it's in here somewhere :P

HulkSmash
03-07-2013, 04:43 AM
BTW, bignazpwns, what happened to the G75 with the GTX660m you had? What was the max you took it to, and what were your daily clocks?