PDA

View Full Version : Clean recovery - is that possible?

Donald_W
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello,

First I would like to say hello - just registered here and I'm G series notebook user since yesterday.
My first question concerns recovery of a clean Windows 7:

Is it possible to recovery built-in OS without all those bloated ASUS programs? I'm not a big fan of loads of applications that I don't use. In fact I want a clean system that can fit for both work and playing. My desktop Windows 7 machine usually got 40-45 running processes, my brand new, out of the box G53SW have like 80+. Of course I'm aware that notebook needs more processes for touch pad, fn keys etc.

All I need is an OS installation with mandatory drivers.

Thanks in advance for help!

irdmoose
07-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Yes, Chastity has a post in the stickies that includes the OEM windows 7 DVD image for your machine. Here: G73 Series Driver and Application Reference. (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference)

Even though it's for the G73 the OS DVD image will work fine for you since it's the standard Microsoft image. So, follow these steps:

1) Download the image and burn it to a DVD
2) Download the latest drivers and any apps you prefer to keep for your laptop (Power 4 Gear, the ATK, etc., and the latest nVidia driver) to a thumb drive or burn that to a disc as well
3) Make sure you burn the factory recovery discs just in case (if you haven't already, they come in handy sometimes)
4) Perform a clean installation with the windows 7 disc, repartitioning as you prefer
5) Install the drivers and software
6) Rock and roll with your clean system

This is also the method you'd use for doing a SSD upgrade.

HTH!

Donald_W
07-21-2011, 06:25 AM
I love you man, thanks a lot! :)

irdmoose
07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Glad to hep, but Chastity did most of the work. ;)