PDA

View Full Version : New g75

Hawkeye
03-08-2013, 09:47 AM
So I just got a G75. It has a 225 SSD and 750 HD, it seems I can only use 213 and 698 Gig of them. My assumption is that the hidden partition is what is taking up all this space, that's bull ****. Can someone help me fix this?

I have a copy of win 7 ultimate I plan to install but I also want to keep the Asus utilities - some of them look useful, unless there is a better option.

Basically anyone have some guidance how to get all the crap off the machine and help me keep what is really important?

Thanks

httuner
03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Once formatted any SSD/HDD can only use so much space, you never truly fully get the full amount as said on drive* It's a pretty common thing, Drive capacity may be 225GB or 750GB but usable drive capacity is always much lower and Windows 7 only makes a 100mb hidden boot partition. So everything is normal and should be as is.

bignazpwns
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
And keep in mind all SSD's have a % set aside for when parts of the NAND's go bad it can use those. Its called wear leveling.

Hawkeye
03-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Once formatted any SSD/HDD can only use so much space, you never truly fully get the full amount as said on drive* It's a pretty common thing, Drive capacity may be 225GB or 750GB but usable drive capacity is always much lower and Windows 7 only makes a 100mb hidden boot partition. So everything is normal and should be as is.

I know you don't get the fuil use of the drive but this seems a bit much... its supposed to be a 256 ssd that's a lot of loss.

Hawkeye
03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Can I access the hidden partition and ASUS utilities? I will want to install the utilities once I install my own copy of windows.

bignazpwns
03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Can I access the hidden partition and ASUS utilities? I will want to install the utilities once I install my own copy of windows.

It's right. ITs called wear leveling. Every SSD has it some have bigger parts set aside then others. My 240gig 520 is only 192gigs and i even went another step as setting up a partition of 180gigs for it and leaving the rest unformatted giving it more room for wear leveling. Also keep in mind Windows 8 is about 20gigs give or take.

Hawkeye
03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
How do I access the files on the hidden partition?

TokoDude
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Diskmaneger

Hawkeye
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
that won't let me actually access the files... showing a 25g recovery partition, do I really need that?

Apexing
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
go enable show hidden files/folders, just google that.
recoverypartition is incase your windows goes ape****. You can get rid of it if you want.
Easiest is to just formwat the whole crap, both SSD and HHD. thats what Ive done, then install windows on SSD. and get drivers/utility from asus homepage. no reason to not do it this way. You can also shrink hibernation file, disable pagefile etc.
just google SSD tweaks.

Shawnnepc
03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
that won't let me actually access the files... showing a 25g recovery partition, do I really need that?

Only remove that if your 100% comfortable installing and servicing Windows on your own. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.

Should your Windows goof up, you'll need to download and burn your own copy of Windows 8. You'll also need to download and install all the correct applications and drivers that are vital for your computer.

cl-Albert
03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the ROG forums Hawkeye!

1. As far as hard drive sizes go, click on this link (http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/172191en?language=en_US) for an article on Seagate's website that (partially) explains why you can't access all the hard drive space.
Other hard drive manufacturers should be doing this (not just Seagate), but basically what you and I think of as a Gigabyte is different from what hard drive manufacturers define (don't you just love computers?). Check the screenshot below to see what I'm talking about.
There are other reasons for missing hard drive space as others have mentioned, but wanted to point out this reason too.

If you access Disk Manager (right click the bottom left corner in Win8 to pull up the menu, or right click 'Computer' in File Explorer and choose 'Manage'), you can see how much space the hidden/recovery partition is taking up.

2. Since the G75VX and G75VW models are available now, everyone should remember to state their G75 models clearly, but I'm pretty sure you have the G75VX model.

3. Anyway, if you didn't already know, the ROG and ASUS download sites have the G75VX drivers posted, but I only see drivers for Win8, so just be aware of this. You can also find them on the ASUS download site, but click on this link (http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vx/) for the G75VX downloads on the ROG site and choose the 'download' tab.

If you get rid of Win8, there isn't an easy way to get it back should you change your mind, so you might want to either find a way to back up the entire Win8 image, or maybe unplug your SSD hard drive and try installing Win7 on the 750GB hard drive first to test it out if you want to be super cautious about it.

4. There isn't an easy way to get the files from the recovery partition that I'm aware of. The ASUS utilities often are not model specific ('drivers' are a different story though), so since there aren't any listed for the G75VX in Win7, consider trying to get some ASUS utilities from the G75VW Win7 downloads although they may not all work for the G75VX.

Hawkeye
03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm running windows 7 home prem, I am comfortable installing and running windows . I plan to install win7 ultimate so I can install 32 mb ram.

I just want to be able to reinstall the asus utilities as they seem somewhat useful. I was hoping to do it without having to download them one by one.