PDA

View Full Version : G73Jh detects hard drives backwards and Windows 8 freezing

Orange
03-08-2013, 10:39 PM
So, I have this G73Jh. Specs are 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM, i7-920XM, 2 500 GB hard drives, ATI HD-5870 with 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM, BIOS 213, vBIOS 012.020.000.032.038352.

Item #1:
Lately I've been needing to reinstall the machine a lot when Win8 crashes (trying to figure out which driver is causing it). When I go to reinstall, I've been noticing that while Drive 0 is where the bitlocker partition goes, but where the C partition goes is Drive 1. It didn't used to be that way. It used to the bitlocker partition and partition C were on Drive 0.

Does this affect anything except my conscience? To diagnose the issue I backed up everything to an external drive, then used diskpart to kill all partitions, then reinstall using Win7. The situation continues. I am puzzled, never seen this behavior.

Item #2:
So I was running Win 8 without issue for about a month and then suddenly it started freezing on me. By "freeze" I mean the hard drive light would be on solidly, no blinking, and the system would become unresponsive. I waited several hours one time and while the HD light finally went out, the system remained unresponsive. No mouse, no keyboard, time was stopped, all that good stuff.

I've reinstalled the system several times with Win8 since that started happening a few weeks ago, and results are mixed. Sometimes it does this during the installation. Sometimes it just seems to be taking an inordinately long time trying to boot from the DVD. Sometimes freezes during the installation, but then works OK. Then, after doing a few Windows Updates, it starts freezing again. I see messages about specific drivers that need to be used and some to be avoided. Is it one particular driver to be avoided?

Or should I just avoid all the update drives from Windows Update? The really annoying thing about this is that safe mode doesn't matter, the system will continue to freeze. Since I don't have a second machine, this pretty much puts me out of business, and I have things to do. My only "quick fix" is to create a restore DVD, wipe the system, restore from the DVD (pray it works), and try again. I did this with Windows 8's system image functionality, but it didn't work, so I'm not hopeful.

Heeeeeelp! Thanks. :)

cl-Albert
03-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Item #2:
So I was running Win 8 without issue for about a month and then suddenly it started freezing on me.

1. I may be a little too quick to worry about the hardware, but if everything was the same as before (?), and you are starting to see problems, you may need to start checking for hardware issues starting with the hard drive (any unusual 'clicking' sounds?) and try to run a hard drive diagnostic. If you have an easy way to install a different hard drive, this is another thing to try.

2. Also, try to keep your software as simple as you can (can you even get rid of the bitlocker partition temporarily for testing to eliminate this issue?) or set it up exactly the same way as when it ran fine for a month, so that you know (or are pretty sure?) it is not a software issue.

3. Critical or 'important' Windows security updates should not be a problem, but try to avoid optional or 'recommended' Windows updates for now especially if they are for your notebook drivers like vga, audio, lan, etc. that normally have not been approved by ASUS for your notebook.
You can download the ASUS approved drivers for the G73Jw from the ROG download site (http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g73jh/) although they are all for Win7, so this probably will not help you much for Win8.
If you can set up the software to when it was working before, this should be just as good.

Well, hopefully others have better ideas if these don't help.

Orange
03-09-2013, 02:35 AM
That would require keeping detailed notes on what updates go in when so I can try analyze what happened. My suspicion is it's a driver of some sort, but who knows. Chastity has said something about the LAN driver available via Windows Update causes the issue, but before I go through this procedure again, I'd really like to know if others have tracked down what caused the freeze in the first place

cl-Albert
03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
1. Try to keep your software as simple as possible and if you don't need to use the LAN for a few days, don't even install the LAN driver yet just to see if it helps.
2. If Win7 was running okay and you still have the image, you might consider installing it just to confirm there are still no problems with this at least.
3. Don't know how well this will work, but Win8 has a reliability monitor you may want to check (not sure if it is any better than event viewer), but if you want to check it out, search for 'reliability' under the search 'charm' to see the option to 'View reliability history' under the 'settings' category.