PDA

View Full Version : G73SW - games lagging! Over-heating problem?

flangenimblick
07-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I recently got the Asus G73SW-A1. I didn't have any problems with it for the first 2 weeks of owning it, but recently I decided to test it out at a LAN that went on for a few days and suddenly I got serious lag while playing, whilst no-one else was.

Usually I play only about 2 hours a day, but this LAN involved at least 5 hours of play at a time. My power supply and the graphics card was getting a little hot, but I thought it could handle it, and yet I found myself lagging for 5+ seconds at a time in some games but not all, for example I lagged in Team Fortress 2 and EVE Online (although the EVE problem was even before the LAN - sometimes I would be playing and suddenly the game would freeze and I would hear the graphics card revving up, then it would continue) but not in something like Far Cry 2.

I think it's a over-heating problem, would a cooling dock solve it?

tl;dr: Some games lag when I play them, is it an over-heating problem and what can I do to solve it?

I'll appreciate any input! Thanks!

irdmoose
07-19-2011, 03:58 PM
You could be experiencing the dreaded throttling issue. I'd take a look at ThrottleStop and see if that solves the issue. TF2 and Eve Online are relatively low demand games (Eve uses no more than 65% of my gpu on my JW) since they're quite old, so it could be that the system is sensing the low utilization of the gpu and throttling down to try to save power.

As far as the power supply getting hot, that is normal. Just don't stack things on it and avoid putting it on carpet if possible. If you're really concerned there are some nice 180w+ power supplies out there that should run quite a bit cooler, but it isn't absolutely necessary and they're quite expensive.

The GPU on the JW/SW's can get quite hot before it starts throttling (upwards of 90c), JW's GPU typically runs in the high 60's to mid 70's depending on ambient temps and how heavily I'm loading it. My power supply also gets quite hot. If you think temps might be the issue I'd run CoreTemp with the desktop gadget to monitor the CPU, and MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision (both work well for monitoring temps) to monitor your GPU temp. You could also use GPUz for that purpose.

A cooling dock couldn't hurt. The cooler the components run, the longer they will tend to last. IMO that makes it a good long-term investment, but dig around the forums because there are some that don't work well at all with our G7XXX's. I don't use one, but then again I tend to live dangerously. As always, YMMV.

Chastity@ASUS
07-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Run ThrottleStop before gaming, or at boot, and it will disable the annoying throttle. Your games should run fine after that.

flangenimblick
08-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies! Sorry it's taken so long to reply, didn't have internet for a while, but I do now and I've been testing ThrottleStop.

The games are running better, but they still lag after about 30min of playing. Better than before when they would lag after a few minutes, but still lag nonetheless.

Am I doing something wrong with ThrottleStop? I've just got it running in monitor mode with the profile set to gaming. Anything else I should be doing? I'm also running core temp and gpu temp gadgets to keep an eye on what's happening during the games.

Chastity@ASUS
08-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Go under options, and enable "Unlock Bidirectional PROCHOT" This way you can untick it on the main window.

If it is ticked, then it's enabled, which is what is controlling the throttling.

flangenimblick
08-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Like this? It wasn't ticked, but I ticked it now. Or must I untick it again?

http://i.imgur.com/9ugD3.jpg

Chastity@ASUS
08-04-2011, 01:45 AM

You want it unticked to be disabled.

flangenimblick
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Ok, it's unticked. Anything else I should do to my throttlestop. I see your "Set Multiplier" is set to "Turbo", should I follow suite?

Chastity@ASUS
08-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Untick, hit save, and then you can shut it down if you want. It just needs to run once per session to config the CPU. You can set it up to start on boot, and minimized. There's also a option to config it to autoshutdown after a preset time, but alas I forget the command atm.

flangenimblick
08-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Sorry to keep bothering Chastity, but I'm still having issues. Now games like Beat Hazard and Fallout 3 are suffering and sometimes even when I'm watching a video file. I should point out that it only starts to lag after about an hour of gameplay though.

Is there another setting I can try?

Chastity@ASUS
08-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Other than venting out the ports with some compressed air and you can try a good cooling pad.

flangenimblick
08-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Other than venting out the ports with some compressed air and you can try a good cooling pad.

Considering this laptop is only a month old, I think the vents will probably be fine, but I'll give the cooling pad a try and see what happens. Will post results. Thanks! :D

flangenimblick
08-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry for the double-post, do you have any recommendations for cooling docks for the G73S? Or are they all basically the same?

Chastity@ASUS
08-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Cooler Master SF-19 is the badboy of choice for me. It has a power supply, can be a USB 3.0 hub (or USB 2.0, depending on model), and the fans can create enough air pressure to really make a difference.

flangenimblick
08-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Cooler Master SF-19 is the badboy of choice for me. It has a power supply, can be a USB 3.0 hub (or USB 2.0, depending on model), and the fans can create enough air pressure to really make a difference.

Awesome! thanks for the advice :D