PDA

View Full Version : G74SX bios update 2.01 to 2.03 with ezflash, now brick. No power up. HELP?

mbrace
03-09-2013, 04:19 AM
I updated bios to 2.03 (hoping to get USB 3.0 functionality).
Did it through Bios with ezflash. File in root of Primary (not USB, hopefully not issue)
seemed ok, shut down after completion, now I get NOTHING. No power button, nothing does anything.
Is there anything I can do?

dstrakele
03-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Unplug, remove the battery and any peripheral devices, hold down the Power On button for 10 seconds. Then replace the battery, plug in, hold down CTRL+HOME and power up the laptop. If you are able to boot into BIOS Recovery and still have the original G74SX.BIN file in the root of C:, you may be able to revert to the BIOS that shipped with your laptop.

If the laptop is still completely dead and will not power up, you'll need to return it to your retailer for exchange or refund (if new) or RMA to ASUS if you are beyond your retailer's exchange/return policy.

I believe you ran into trouble by placing the BIOS update file in an existing NTFS partition. I believe there may be a greater chance of file corruption than in a flash drive formatted to a single FAT32 partition. See @Sir Robin's OP in http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/656498-g74sx-circuit-reprogram-bios-spi.html. He found his entire NTFS directory tree was added to the corrupt BIOS.