PDA

View Full Version : G75VX + 220w psu + OC = Need more power

bignazpwns
03-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Long story short i maxed out the stock 180w pretty fast switched to the spare 230w and again maxed that out so i will be looking for a 330w here shortly to finish my bench runs.

Few things even when the system was getting full power before i passed that fine line the temps were never over 70c and before i hit the point of taking way more power then the psu's were pumping out i did meet up with some GTX 680m's. Then i pushed it some more and the scores took a nose dive lol. Clocks were all 100% stable but i cant say for a fact the 1500 was stable. It ran but from the score i can tell it was not getting the power it needs so i can only say the 1450 was stable since that was my last full power run.

Official scores will not be uploaded or published until i have finished if i decide to.

On a side note this is by far the best nvidia gpu i have ever had. And to be honest it beats my legendary Q6600 i had and thats really saying a lot. So much so that i decided to buy this system just because of this beyond golden sample GTX 670MX that is in it.

Also dont mind the 2gig stick i had it sitting on my desk for a few months from a system upgrade for a guy so i just thought i would slap it in and make some use out of it.

Also if anyone was wondering the memory starts to get slight artifacts at 2650mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/357357

So that's all till i get a 330w psu here. I dont feel like modding the one from my MX18 so it could be a week or so before i post some stable max balls to the wall benches that bridge that gap between the GTX 670MX and a GTX 680m with a slight overclock. Really pushing to hit 1700 on this gpu but if i can only get it stable at 1450-1500 im happy with it.

PS. As you can see this is why systems with GTX 680m's come with bigger and better psu's. I maxed out that 180w stock psu pretty fast.

suls00
03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Long story short i maxed out the stock 180w pretty fast switched to the spare 230w and again maxed that out so i will be looking for a 330w here shortly to finish my bench runs.

Few things even when the system was getting full power before i passed that fine line the temps were never over 70c and before i hit the point of taking way more power then the psu's were pumping out i did meet up with some GTX 680m's. Then i pushed it some more and the scores took a nose dive lol. Clocks were all 100% stable but i cant say for a fact the 1500 was stable. It ran but from the score i can tell it was not getting the power it needs so i can only say the 1450 was stable since that was my last full power run.

Official scores will not be uploaded or published until i have finished if i decide to.

On a side note this is by far the best nvidia gpu i have ever had. And to be honest it beats my legendary Q6600 i had and thats really saying a lot. So much so that i decided to buy this system just because of this beyond golden sample GTX 670MX that is in it.

Also dont mind the 2gig stick i had it sitting on my desk for a few months from a system upgrade for a guy so i just thought i would slap it in and make some use out of it.

Also if anyone was wondering the memory starts to get slight artifacts at 2650mhz

So that's all till i get a 330w psu here. I dont feel like modding the one from my MX18 so it could be a week or so before i post some stable max balls to the wall benches that bridge that gap between the GTX 670MX and a GTX 680m with a slight overclock. Really pushing to hit 1700 on this gpu but if i can only get it stable at 1450-1500 im happy with it.

PS. As you can see this is why systems with GTX 680m's come with bigger and better psu's. I maxed out that 180w stock psu pretty fast.

What bios are you running? I am really wanting to change my bios and overclock this beast even more then the standard +135 but i have heard so many horror stories when messing about with the bios.

Any tips?

gokica
03-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the input. My question would be:

If I keep my G75VX CPU at stock with 2 RAM sticks, 750HDD plus one SSD, what would be the highest clock/voltage that the 180W PSU could handle on the GTX 670MX?

And one more thing. I noticed that the ASIC quality is 83%. Some MSI laptops with the same card but with 1.5GB of VRAM can get to higher clocks at default voltage while having an ASIC quality of 73-75%. How is this possible?

Thanks.

zeng408
03-09-2013, 09:10 PM
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5598 +135/1000 lol :D

bignazpwns
03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the input. My question would be:

If I keep my G75VX CPU at stock with 2 RAM sticks, 750HDD plus one SSD, what would be the highest clock/voltage that the 180W PSU could handle on the GTX 670MX?

And one more thing. I noticed that the ASIC quality is 83%. Some MSI laptops with the same card but with 1.5GB of VRAM can get to higher clocks at default voltage while having an ASIC quality of 73-75%. How is this possible?

Thanks.

First you gotta remember that overclocking is more then just moving a slider if you wanna get anything higher then what programs like Afterburner will allow. Also remember that no two gpu's are the same and measuring the quality of the gpu with GPUZ via ASIC is very inaccurate. I have seen cards with less then 100% overclock much higher then cards that had 100%. Take the ASIC with a grain of salt. Also the MSI GT70 i had came with a larger psu then the one with the G75 but i can not comment on any of the other MSI systems.

As always again i can not comment on what clocks you should be able to get since each system is diff and the G75's power components just were never really meant for this kind of abuse. Its more then just a issue with the PSU. If you can feed it the power when your running a super high oc you are putting a hurt to the internal power regulation and other components inside the system. So the most i will say is +135 on the core remember you are now dealing with a 75w gpu that can suck some power when its overclocked. I think my heavily overclocked GTX 660m was only 85w at the max i'll have to go back and look up some numbers on that.

I really wont give any info out on getting to this point because the G75's were never meant to have a GPU sucking this much power. Stock 1005 load the cpu and gpu alone are using 120w. Also keep in mind that the stock PSU may say 180w but chances are it will be closer to 150w. If enough interest is shown i can go check this out and also check out the noise and ripples on the psu but from what i seen i'm going to say the actual output is lower then 180w but i cant post any number until i get at least 2 more psu's in my hands and check them out and do some testing. On the upside it would give me a new reason to use the new o-scope at work lol.

So i wont be posting any info on getting any higher clocks then the +135. Really i dont feel like playing IT for everyone with a VX when they run into problems because they fail to see the G75's power limits. Also why the GTX 660m was able to be cranked up and the stock power system handled it fine the 670MX on the other hand is not the case and you can damage some circuits on your motherboard and this will not be covered under warranty so it will end up costing about $350-$400 to fix it. But after i finish pushing this thing to the limits i'll go ahead and do a thread about what safe clocks can be achieved with the stock system and no mods. I was able to get pretty close to stock GTX 680m preformace with a bone stock G75VX with just a overclock on the GTX 670MX but as always your results will vary.

And a side note i wont be pushing this system as hard as i would normal push one on a suicide run. I will be buying this just for the GPU to have since its beyond the golden sample and i'm not going to waste my money. But if Asus wants to send me out a VX i'll have a adapter to my L2N pot made at my work and strap on the pot, crank up the volts and see if i can hit the wall with the 330w psu lol

Update.

I started looking for some 330w psu's. Found a few online i'll go ahead and order one Monday and i should have it Thursday or Friday. Depending on how we are doing in heroics this week i might be able to push it that weekend or it might have to wait until the week after.

gokica
03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks once again. The MSI laptop and my G75VX were OCed with Nvidia Inspector running the same drivers.

The MSI went to 820Mhz max while mine hit the wall at 760Mhz. A huge difference.

OK looking forward to see your results.

PS. Regarding the PSU testing it would be interesting if you could do it. Although personally I would be most interested if I had the ability to OC much higher. Otherwise whether it has a max of 150 or 180W makes no difference.

For me it will only be possible if I have the chance to learn how to unleash the GTX 670 MX.

Vicodin
03-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Awesomeness.

bignazpwns
03-10-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks once again. The MSI laptop and my G75VX were OCed with Nvidia Inspector running the same drivers.

The MSI went to 820Mhz max while mine hit the wall at 760Mhz. A huge difference.

OK looking forward to see your results.

PS. Regarding the PSU testing it would be interesting if you could do it. Although personally I would be most interested if I had the ability to OC much higher. Otherwise whether it has a max of 150 or 180W makes no difference.

For me it will only be possible if I have the chance to learn how to unleash the GTX 670 MX.

Max I could pull with the stock PSU was 810. The PSU liming it.

fostert
03-10-2013, 03:22 AM
I started looking for some 330w psu's. Found a few online i'll go ahead and order one Monday and i should have it Thursday or Friday. Depending on how we are doing in heroics this week i might be able to push it that weekend or it might have to wait until the week after.

Any tunable voltage power supply (i.e. with a knob) with enough Wattage will do: remember, DC is DC. I've even run my laptop from a 1200W tunable unit in our physics shop with no problems. Just make sure your polarity is right (i.e. + to +, - to -). Go to your local Physics or Electical Eng. dept. at a college or university and borrow a tunable unit. That way you'll never be at a loss for power.

bignazpwns
03-10-2013, 05:10 AM
Any tunable voltage power supply (i.e. with a knob) with enough Wattage will do: remember, DC is DC. I've even run my laptop from a 1200W tunable unit in our physics shop with no problems. Just make sure your polarity is right (i.e. + to +, - to -). Go to your local Physics or Electical Eng. dept. at a college or university and borrow a tunable unit. That way you'll never be at a loss for power.

I know I have a degree in electronics engineering lol.

gokica
03-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Since I am an economist I guess I will have to go to an online retailer and buy a stronger PSU for laptops.

@bignazpwns, thank you for the answer. It seems like a stronger PSU is a must if I want to really try to overclock the system. 810Mhz is not far from what I achieved so basically if there are variations in the PSUs being shipped from the factory there is a chance that my PSU is actually holding me back from higher clocks at stock voltage.

Judging from your results 1500/2500 which is truly amazing I am just feeling even more enthusiastic about all this. I wish that I could at least max the memory to 1400-1500 so that it matches the desktop variant (GTX 660). Unfortunately 1200 (2400 in afterburner) is the max for me at the moment.

bignazpwns
03-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Since I am an economist I guess I will have to go to an online retailer and buy a stronger PSU for laptops.

@bignazpwns, thank you for the answer. It seems like a stronger PSU is a must if I want to really try to overclock the system. 810Mhz is not far from what I achieved so basically if there are variations in the PSUs being shipped from the factory there is a chance that my PSU is actually holding me back from higher clocks at stock voltage.

Judging from your results 1500/2500 which is truly amazing I am just feeling even more enthusiastic about all this. I wish that I could at least max the memory to 1400-1500 so that it matches the desktop variant (GTX 660). Unfortunately 1200 (2400 in afterburner) is the max for me at the moment.

Well i can hit my memory to 2600 and no issues. Just after that i get issues but i'll take 5.3ghz on it.

The psu i dont know how efficient it is and if it is really cranking out 180 of it its more like 150. Also keep in mind the stock bios is another limited factor since its pretty low.

Also if you are plunging the psu into a power strip try plugging it directly into the wall. That should help add a few MHZ on the core.

Also i have not does a run at 1500. I wont count that run because it clearly did not get the power. The last stable run was 1450 on the core that beat some slightly oc'ed GTX 680m's. Wont be able to do a office 1500mhz run till my new psu gets here.

gokica
03-10-2013, 10:23 PM
I never thought that a power strip can be a limiting factor. Thank you. I will change it with by plugging it in the wall.

I wish you the best of luck with the 1500 and above. It really is a golden sample, the GPU in your VX. I am amazed by the fact that the power section of the card can allow such high voltage and frequency.

bignazpwns
03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
I never thought that a power strip can be a limiting factor. Thank you. I will change it with by plugging it in the wall.

I wish you the best of luck with the 1500 and above. It really is a golden sample, the GPU in your VX. I am amazed by the fact that the power section of the card can allow such high voltage and frequency.

Unless its a very high end strip it can limit your clocks. Not a lot but if your trying to get every mhz out of it you can it does limit it.

Highlander
05-28-2013, 06:00 AM
I would have never guessed that this "little" computer could do so much.

Look forward to the results of this.

gokica
05-28-2013, 07:35 AM
This topic is misleading and the information provided by bignazpwns absolutely false.

He never managed to get to the results that he mentions in the first post. I know because I have a VX and a completely unleashed Vbios that can push the card to its limits. The card goes up to 1200Mhz @ 1.2v when the power draw of the computer with Prime95 (maximum load on the CPU) and Kombustor (maximum load on the GPU) hovers around 150-160W.

After this the card pretty much hits the wall and requires huge voltage increase for tiny MHz increase. It also faces a chance of burning a mosfet on it.

Dreamonic
05-28-2013, 06:51 PM
The topics bignazpwns begins is never concluded and with good reason, he doesn't have the answers only his opinions.

alpinestar
05-28-2013, 11:23 PM
This topic is misleading and the information provided by bignazpwns absolutely false.

He never managed to get to the results that he mentions in the first post. I know because I have a VX and a completely unleashed Vbios that can push the card to its limits. The card goes up to 1200Mhz @ 1.2v when the power draw of the computer with Prime95 (maximum load on the CPU) and Kombustor (maximum load on the GPU) hovers around 150-160W.

After this the card pretty much hits the wall and requires huge voltage increase for tiny MHz increase. It also faces a chance of burning a mosfet on it.
I modified my 204 BIOS I can as far as my tiny lil heart goes his notebook will last him maybe another 4 months you can go crazy on clocks on this card since its kepler arch it was meant to run cool and fast ;p sorta like me. You dump bios with FTK then you play with calssified tools and its not possible to just release MODed bios ready for flashing because now a days bioses have serials and all the other BS UEFI ...... :) In short it is possible to make eggs over easy on G75VX.

jmhdj
05-28-2013, 11:41 PM
And here comes old veteran and shows he still has some muscle to flexes :)

I didnt overclocked it, not 1mhz over stock clocks :)

alpinestar
05-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Nice work you shall have your notebook for years to come unlike some other dumb asses that kill it after 4 months and call for warranty I rather keep it at reasonable temperature than risk killing it, Im thinking about putting Higher speed fans on my g75vx or maybe see how far I can push the stock ones by modifying bios caps :)

jmhdj
05-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Nice work you shall have your notebook for years to come unlike some other dumb asses that kill it after 4 months and call for warranty I rather keep it at reasonable temperature than risk killing it, Im thinking about putting Higher speed fans on my g75vx or maybe see how far I can push the stock ones by modifying bios caps :)

have you noticed which model it was? :)

alpinestar
05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
yeah I did Did you change card in it ?

jmhdj
05-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Yes MSI gtx 680m. Not for faint hearts tho.

alpinestar
05-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Looking good tho since most processing now a days is done on GPU I got a desktop rig with gtx 690 and 3970x dont know why I even put a 1000$ cpu in it but I guess If you go max u go max :)

jmhdj
05-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Understand your thinking. I have had this laptop for 2 years now and gpu power begined to show weaknesess but I didnt wanted to upgrade either to something new that has weaker gpu then other brand laptops had for last 2 years. So I decided to make something about it and i like to do things myself so here I am now. With 2 years old laptop that sends latest model back to school...

alpinestar
05-29-2013, 12:35 AM
20973kinda big I have asus PB278Q picture is really amazing on it

alpinestar
05-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Understand your thinking. I have had this laptop for 2 years now and gpu power begined to show weaknesess but I didnt wanted to upgrade either to something new that has weaker gpu then other brand laptops had for last 2 years. So I decided to make something about it and i like to do things myself so here I am now. With 2 years old laptop that sends latest model back to school... good **** You should look into BIOS modding it Theres so much **** on these notebooks to play it blows my mind also replacing fans to those hi speed ones helps if you wanna play with bumping voltages :)

jmhdj
05-29-2013, 12:41 AM
I havent had desktop last 3 years so one more reason to have something better than old 460m under hood.

alpinestar
05-29-2013, 12:44 AM
now a days desktop PCs are becoming obsolete because parts are gettings smaller

jmhdj
05-29-2013, 12:47 AM
good **** You should look into BIOS modding it Theres so much **** on these notebooks to play it blows my mind also replacing fans to those hi speed ones helps if you wanna play with bumping voltages :)

Not really. best you can do is unlock fan trip point for cpu. Other things that may be usefull cant be unlocked as they are not implemented in sbios.

jmhdj
05-29-2013, 12:48 AM
looks like double post. Not sure what happen really.

luissb
05-29-2013, 06:19 AM

Dude i have a question i have a 150w psu and th best oc i can get is 135 on clock and 600 on memory do you think if i get a 240 psu i can reach a higher overclock? I have 670mx 1.5gb version

gokica
05-29-2013, 07:02 AM
I modified my 204 BIOS I can as far as my tiny lil heart goes his notebook will last him maybe another 4 months you can go crazy on clocks on this card since its kepler arch it was meant to run cool and fast ;p sorta like me. You dump bios with FTK then you play with calssified tools and its not possible to just release MODed bios ready for flashing because now a days bioses have serials and all the other BS UEFI ...... :) In short it is possible to make eggs over easy on G75VX.

Yes, eggs for those who do not know what they are doing but think that know too much. Actually they are not aware how vast is their ignorance.

jmhdj
05-29-2013, 11:07 AM
What do you guys find most usefull things are in unlocked system bios then?

gokica
05-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Personally I find no real benefits in the unlocked options of the system bios. I never tested the power states toggle and how it relates to SSD performance but other than that I can not find anything that could be useful. The CPU is not everclockable. RAM frequency and timings are taken from the JEDEC specifications. The fans are calibrated fine and changing the trip points makes no sense especially since silence is the key selling point of this laptop plus there is much better alternative for those that place the laptop on the OC bench.

The 670MX tweaking however does make much more sense because the card frequencies are pretty limited by Nvidia comparing to the maximum ability of the card (due to battery saving), the ASUS cooling and the card design does allow more power draw and heat dissipation. The difference between the stock and OC frequencies can be quite substantial.

Still even with the factory limits the card is a beast and even people that do not OC should not despair.

jmhdj
05-30-2013, 03:57 AM
Personally I find no real benefits in the unlocked options of the system bios. I never tested the power states toggle and how it relates to SSD performance but other than that I can not find anything that could be useful. The CPU is not everclockable. RAM frequency and timings are taken from the JEDEC specifications. The fans are calibrated fine and changing the trip points makes no sense especially since silence is the key selling point of this laptop plus there is much better alternative for those that place the laptop on the OC bench.

The 670MX tweaking however does make much more sense because the card frequencies are pretty limited by Nvidia comparing to the maximum ability of the card (due to battery saving), the ASUS cooling and the card design does allow more power draw and heat dissipation. The difference between the stock and OC frequencies can be quite substantial.

Still even with the factory limits the card is a beast and even people that do not OC should not despair.

Finally one that speaks for the truth. Man i agree totally with you. Functions/options i am looking for in rog ami bios either not fully implemented or not there at all.

NicholasLAranda
05-10-2014, 02:51 AM
SO, when is some one going to post a guide on how to modify this bios already?

theres a handful of threads on the internet but no guides.

seems everyone forgets they can put giant letters like this:

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU BRICK YOUR SYSTEM BY NOT FOLLOWING MY GUIDE THEN YOU ARE SCREWED
THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO
AND I WONT HELP YOU FIX IT
YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK
IF YOU MESS UP
THAT'S ON YOU
DO NOT COME TO ME FOR HELP
GO AWAY IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Now here's how to do it:

Why doesn't any one do that?

As soon as I figure out how, I'm going to post on all of the sites how do it and make the disclaimer and not care if people mess up their systems

I warned them XD

KTZeen
05-28-2014, 07:57 AM
I have the Asus G75VX, where can I check what wattage PSU I got? Also I have a 120GB SSD + the 750GB HDD, how much wattage is it taking up so I know how high I can OC my GTX670MX?

Clintlgm
05-28-2014, 01:00 PM
The model number on your power supply will tell you what wattage it is! I don't OC but I know you only know what you can OC to by trial and error you need to know what you are doing you could easily smoke your Notebook.

ggBanks
05-31-2014, 07:51 AM
SO, when is some one going to post a guide on how to modify this bios already?

theres a handful of threads on the internet but no guides.

seems everyone forgets they can put giant letters like this:

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU BRICK YOUR SYSTEM BY NOT FOLLOWING MY GUIDE THEN YOU ARE SCREWED
THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO
AND I WONT HELP YOU FIX IT
YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK
IF YOU MESS UP
THAT'S ON YOU
DO NOT COME TO ME FOR HELP
GO AWAY IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Now here's how to do it:

Why doesn't any one do that?

As soon as I figure out how, I'm going to post on all of the sites how do it and make the disclaimer and not care if people mess up their systems

I warned them XD

Well, I think its all bullsh*t. There is no way to OC the 660m yet. Everyone else who says they have are trolling. Dont you think that if there was a way it would be somewhere on the internet already? Try googling and see for yourself...

NicholasLAranda
01-10-2018, 05:43 AM
Well, I think its all bullsh*t. There is no way to OC the 660m yet. Everyone else who says they have are trolling. Dont you think that if there was a way it would be somewhere on the internet already? Try googling and see for yourself...

Yeah, google this:

Overclock g75vx

My all inclusive 4+ yesrs of public research are resualts number 2 (after ads of course). Add RypeDub to those keywords and you'll get my YouTube channel and the thread at number 1.

I also commented on the thread on this site with the link to my thread over on overclock.net because I want people to know how to do things.

I SEO'd the h3ll out of a bunch of websites and my YouTube channel.

I have actually overclocked this GPU and the CPU is also overclock able.

So is the RAM.

Also, all the BIOS options are unlocked.

Also, we can draw more power. Also we can change the voltage slider.

Don't use MSI after failed, use nVidia Inspector.

Also: I overclocked (by making a custom vBIOS nad inserting it into our system BIOS) our GPU and over volted it.

Also: I modified our system BIOS and unlocked all the options.

You can find all my information, ideas, tests, files, tutorials, videos, and support over on OverClock.net

http://www.overclock.net/t/1493245/how-to-unlock-the-system-bios-on-an-asus-g75vx-nvidia-gtx-670mx-custom-vbios-overclock-tutorial

P.S: OP, you are a fruad, shill, explicative #1-7. You are totally lying with what overclock you are getting on your core clock, never mentioned your voltage which is essential for running over 950 MHz on the core, and I GUARANTEE your stock cooling system is NOT cooling a 1000+ core clock + a 2500+ memory clock.

Also, artifacts actually apear around 2800 MHz on the memory, if you actually used a proper vBIOS configuration.

Kepler BIOS Tweaker is how you modify the vBIOS file.

MMTool is how you extract a vBIOS from a system BIOS, as well as replace the vBIOS inside a system BIOS with a modified vBIOS (yeah I know it's a mouth full, welcome to being an actual enthusiast).

FPT for Intel Flash Image Tool (I have no idea why the acronyms aren't the same?) is how you dump system BIOS and how to flash them back.

AMIBCP for AMI (American Megatrends Inc.,) BIOS Configuration Program is how you modify your system BIOS to unlock all the options.

And last but not least, head on over to my thread to learn how you can actually buy for less than $15 an EEPROM USB Programmer and some Chip Clippers where you can directly factory program and recover from hard bricks (as in flashing incompatible BIOS or forcing a BIOS flash when given an error) as well as unlock the ability to overclock your CPU and even enable dumping and flashing the entire BIOS (you can ONLY dump the 6MB -BIOS option in fpt, you'll never get the entire file without first programming my 8MB BIOS from my tutorial) within windows using the fpt program so you only need to clip your chip and program it once and then you're fully unlocked.