PDA

View Full Version : G55 or G46?

Djask
03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
So, I'm still deciding on a gaming laptop. (probably buying in a month or so) Which would you guys reccomend is the best.

I don't mind the weight.

Vicodin
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I would have to say the G55 for many reasons. The main reason being, the G46 tends to come with an i5 processor. To pay for one with a i7 3630 like the G55 already comes with, would cost more than a G55. Not to mention the screen on the G55 has better resolution and the G 46 has that stupid nvidia optimus technology.

Vicodin
03-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Sorry about font, sent from phone...messed up

Zygomorphic
03-11-2013, 11:04 PM
G55 is an all-around better system, as @Vicodin has noted. The screen resolution alone is worth it, at least it would be for me. I would love the 14" form factor, but the 1366x768 resolution is too low for typing and programming.

ushhh
03-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Zygomorphic where did u get ur avatar

JwPwns
03-12-2013, 12:04 AM
I would say the G55 too if you don't have to carry it around everyday. However I do love my G46 and upgraded it to a better cpu. The performance is identicle to the G55 if not "better" because of optimus. If you are getting a laptop for portable then optimus is a big PLUS for battery life and they did improve optimus so much . Unlike the first gen of optimus which was disappointing but that's not the case here. I can squeeze 5 - 6 hours of battery life out of G46 but for G55 i would be happy if it last 2 hours. It's all about how YOU use your laptop and only you can decide what matters more to YOU. I'm just giving you some facts that optimus is really good. not like the person above that havn't tried the new one yet :P

JwPwns
03-12-2013, 12:06 AM
oh btw if you are getting it a month later, make sure you are getting the 900p display. IT WILL BE STUNTING for this size laptop

bignazpwns
03-12-2013, 12:58 AM
oh btw if you are getting it a month later, make sure you are getting the 900p display. IT WILL BE STUNTING for this size laptop

If by stunning you mean the same thing that Alienware has offered for a long time now.

Ok flat out if you carry it you will not know a diff. between the G55 and G46 unless you a 8 year old who weighs 56lbs or some hipster who wears skinny jeans. The extra inch on the screen is going to be something that's very nice. 900p on a 14 inch display will make the text and what not smaller so that might be a turn off and in some games you might have issues reading the smaller text. It will be clear but you will have to lean in and look at it. As for the 1366x768 display. It looks ok on a 14 inch laptop but still looks like crap for a system at this point.

If you have to have a G series i vote the G55. Yes the Alu on the G46 feels better but the G46 is just a bad gaming system no way around that or fancy phrasing it. Its just bad. If you want more bang for your buck in a 15 inch system with the specs to slap the G55 in the fact i would look at the lenovo IdeaPad Y500. Looks great i 7 3630qm 8 gigs of ram 1tb hdd and best of all dual GT 650m's in SLI and it is only $1,049. G55 will run you $1,199 and its thicker making it less portable. Then that gives you some money for a SSD upgrade and still be the same price as the G55.

JwPwns
03-12-2013, 04:56 AM
lmao at someone trying to recommend the ideapad y500.. you are such a troll, what happened to the other page where you say an i7 3820qm will be too hot for g46? go take a look at my temps but its ok i get it. you don't like the G46 but you are bashing on it like it's the worst thing on earth. No offence but you sound like some "know it all" and saying there is no difference carrying G55 or G46. If you carry that for a whole day of college. YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE unless you are some guy that weights 200 lbs and sit infront of the desk all day not going anywhere then get G75vx

And what i mean by stunting is compared to the 720p display that's on it right now. FYI I got my thermal paste in the mail and guess what? FULL LOAD 70C. have fun with giving out "opinions" of yours

Vicodin
03-12-2013, 05:08 AM
Didn't you make a disassembling video for that G46? How many times you gonna take that thing apart? lol. I was wondering how your mSATA SSD worked out, being you couldn't properly install it. (The mounting screw socket not lining up)

JwPwns
03-12-2013, 05:13 AM
it's actually working out great, many others already done so and it's all working good. and HIDEVOL is actually selling G46 msata with full size msatas the same or "enhanced" method.

Vicodin
03-12-2013, 05:25 AM
Oh ic. I was just wondering. I am about to install a mSATA 240gb Mushkin Atlas in my G55 on Wed. I am gonna re-paste with some AS5 while I am in there as well. (Being the mSATA port is on the bottom side of the mobo right next to the GPU/CPU

Dreamonic
03-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Seeing as how there wasn't an episode, (popcorn aside) JwPwns has made some very good points about the use of the G46.

If you have to have a G series i vote the G55. Yes the Alu on the G46 feels better but the G46 is just a bad gaming system no way around that or fancy phrasing it. Its just bad.

As far as to say it's a terrible gaming system that bignazpwns was implying, it is the best of both worlds in terms of portability (battery life) and performance (plugged-in) if you are choosing to go with ASUS. If I required a laptop that would fit both worlds, the G46 is a perfect choice. Some people are loyal to ASUS products and don't mind paying a little more for it, and despite their best efforts to encourage others about their own purchase of systems, bignazpwns simply cannot bare the thought of it. Stop puffing yourself up and over saturating your posts with negativity, and by that I am referring to what your comments do to other who own this system. Think about it..

Vicodin
03-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Look guys, just tell him to go get the Origin Laptop with Dual Nvidia GTX 680's in sli for $5000.00. BOOM! LOL

JwPwns
03-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Look guys, just tell him to go get the Origin Laptop with Dual Nvidia GTX 680's in sli for $5000.00. BOOM! LOL

you read my mind brother. lol I just said that to him in another post

_
03-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Removed posts and given 3 day bans to bigz and Jw. That kind of reaction and attitude is uncalled for. Bigz if you want to troll and wind people up I'll make the ban perma.

If you feel you've received a personal attack, report the post, don't start willy waving here please because no one can see them.

adham_dehe
03-12-2013, 08:44 AM
I would say the G55 too if you don't have to carry it around everyday. However I do love my G46 and upgraded it to a better cpu. The performance is identicle to the G55 if not "better" because of optimus. If you are getting a laptop for portable then optimus is a big PLUS for battery life and they did improve optimus so much . Unlike the first gen of optimus which was disappointing but that's not the case here. I can squeeze 5 - 6 hours of battery life out of G46 but for G55 i would be happy if it last 2 hours. It's all about how YOU use your laptop and only you can decide what matters more to YOU. I'm just giving you some facts that optimus is really good. not like the person above that havn't tried the new one yet :P

Is it a bad idea to carry big laptop like G55 everyday?!

xeromist
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM

It's good as a gaming rig but if you're going to be doing a lot of productivity work on it then you're going to need to be near an outlet. So it depends. Are you going to be gaming everyday or just typing documents? I have my gaming laptop for portable gaming but I also have a netbook for when I need long battery life.

Djask
03-13-2013, 04:53 AM
After all these posts, I think I might wait for a higher resolution screen and get the g46vw, and since I own a 13 inch right now, i don't really care about a larger screen as mine is just right for me. Thanks everyone! I think it might be good because I like the portability factor of a g46vw

Djask
03-13-2013, 04:58 AM
Also, does anyone know how to install windows 7 on the g46?

adham_dehe
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
It's good as a gaming rig but if you're going to be doing a lot of productivity work on it then you're going to need to be near an outlet. So it depends. Are you going to be gaming everyday or just typing documents? I have my gaming laptop for portable gaming but I also have a netbook for when I need long battery life.

Battery life is not an issue for me. I'm more concern about rough handling. My old laptop screen broken because i put both of my hands on the lid when i'm on the bus..

Zygomorphic
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
If you want a work out without going to the gym, then definitely yes. :p

Actually, I would say that it is worth it, because I can't stand doing real typing on sub-sized keyboards (I have big hands-10 white keys on the piano). The 1080p panel is really nice for comparing two documents, because you can get two pages on the screen at the same time, and still see everything without scrolling (though a little zooming is necessary. This you cannot do with a 1366x768 (or worse, 1024x600) panel. I do that enough that carrying 1080p around with me is worth it. Also, building biceps doesn't hurt! :D

scarletvw
03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
I have the G55 and love it, I previously had a G60JX with the 16" 1366x768 screen and it wasn't too bad. But if you're used to using a higher resolution monitor go with the G55VW, you'll thank yourself down the road. And having a full 10 key does come in handy in some games.