PDA

View Full Version : New G75VX - Mini PCI-e - complete disassembly - thundebolt

lmnewey
03-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi guys

I've just bought myself a g75vx laptop, i have the 256ssd + 1TB version with the matte screen. it currently only has 16GB's of ram but i plan to upgrade to a 512GB ssd 2 TB disk and 32GB's of ram. When i first decided to do the upgrade i pulled the back off to reveal the ram slots..

I can only see 2 and they are both empty. i assume the other two are purposely not accessible for some reason... in any event i began thinking of alternatives to getting more storage space, I know that there is mini PCI-e ssd's out there that fit in the same slot as say the laptop wireless adapter/3g card. I was just curious if any one out there had completely pulled apart there g75 to reveal the location of 1. the original ram 2. whether it has a spare 50mm mini pci-e slot for say 3g (in my case i would like to install a second ssd for storing virtual machines.)

The Laptop: Personally i love this thing, I see some people grumbling about it but it has been fantastic so far (i've only had problems running portal 2 in steam.. very annoying) im using hyper-v in windows 8 and even with 6 vm's running on it i can still play mafia 2 at full specs and it runs perfectly. I had a play with OC'ing the video card but the performance gain was minimal and only shortened battery life so i set it back to stock V's and clocks. The instant start is fantastic, even after i have bloated it out a reboot still only takes 3-4 seconds (unless its saving/starting all my vm's then it takes roughly 11 seconds) and i've yet to hear the fans even when it is working hard and that includes when it was OC'd. I also noticed the CPU never used more than 30 watts (according to core temp) under even the most extreme load and never got over 70c which i was thoroughly impressed with. All things said and done i would most def recommend this to my friends.

im now looking at thunderbolt and wondering what i could do with it. i did find a manufacturer called ATTO Technology that makes nic/hba adapters that run off thunder bolt. im not sure why you would ever want to attach disk shelves or tape libraries to your laptop for anything other than troubleshooting but the nic is interesting, i work at a mine site in the pilbarra (western Australia) where we have a set of hp blade enclosures that have 10gbe uplinks to a 6500 series router, suddenly i feel the need for a 10gb nic :) although i doubt this laptop (even with its unbelievable performance) could ever utilize that sort of connectivity.

pathfindercod
03-12-2013, 12:12 AM
I've seen mSata drives, not mini pcie...

Vicodin
03-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Yes. I think you are thinking of mSATA SSD. I actually have a 240gb one on the way. Here is a link though for a nice disassembling video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA

Good luck... this looks way worse then taking apart a G55... lol

p.s- The G75vw and G75vx will be exactly the same as far as taking it apart.

pathfindercod
03-12-2013, 02:05 AM
I do not think the g75 has a mSata port..

Vicodin
03-12-2013, 03:40 AM
I do not think the g75 has a mSata port..

I just watched the video and focused on the face and bottom of the motherboard. There is NOT an mSATA port. So your only options for SSD is regular 2.5 inch SSD x2 in the bottom bays. It makes sense that it doesn't though. I see why they put one on the G55, because it only has one bay. The g75 already has two...

bignazpwns
03-12-2013, 03:44 AM
Nope like i said this is a lowend gaming laptop and being that ports are extremely limited. The G55 has one because it only has on bay for a drive. The G75 has 2 bays so no MSATA.

Problem uploading pics but i'll upload a pic of the top of he mobo soon as i can. Nothing other then a mpcie slot thats used by the wifi/blue tooth.

Pitcher@asus
03-12-2013, 03:48 AM
yep. G55 have support msata, but g75 have not.

lmnewey
03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
the asus T91 has a micro PCI-e SSD it fits in the same slot as an internal 3g Card. infact if you disassemble the T91 you can infact install 2 ssd's. provided you have the model that does not have the 3g installed.

so what i want to know is, is there a mini pci-e slot inside the G75VX. i know what m-sata is and i am not looking for M-sata.

example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KingSpec-mini-PCI-E-64GB-SSD-Eee-PC-901-/370254442316?IMSfp=TL090903144001r4602